Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Pekuach Nefesh Opportunity: Maimonides now accepting blood

VeryBusyMom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 9:55 pm
Pekuach Nefesh Opportunity for those who tested positive for COVID-19, or know anyone that tested positive.

A friend in Brooklyn just got a call from Maimonides Blood Center where many yidden are unfortunately struggling for life.

They have a program where if you tested positive and recovered they will test you again, and assuming you test negative they will invite you to donate blood. The blood plasma contains antibodies and can be injected in a sick patient's blood stream to help their body cope with the virus.

Below are the steps you can take which can save lives.

1. Call the place where you tested to fax the confirmation that you tested positive to Maimonides. The fax number they will need to use is 718-283-6008.
2. Call Maimonides Blood to let them know that the fax that just arrived or is about to arrive is regarding your testing, they may take some additional info - 718-283-7657.
3. Maimonides will invite you swab again to verify that you have indeed recovered and tested negative.
4. Once that result comes in they will invite you to donate blood which may save lives with Hashem’s help.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:06 pm
Spoke to them a few days ago. They do not want female donors, only male.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:08 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Spoke to them a few days ago. They do not want female donors, only male.

Why?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:10 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Why?

I don't know.
I do know that women can contract a virus during pregnancy that can disqualify them from ever donating platelets again, so I wonder if there's some similar reason.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:12 pm
Also they will only take males who tested positive for covid, and are symptom free for at least 14 days.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Apr 06 2020, 11:16 pm
I think most nyc hospitals are taking covid blood now, mt sinai, nyu, others... less yidden are being sent now to maimonides for fear of being neglected

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 12:13 am
Funny, why would female antibodiees not work on males???

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 12:15 am
Mount Sinai has a testing site in Brooklyn. You can apply online and they will contact you if you're a good candidate. Females and males welcome. Very Happy

agreer

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 12:49 am
Mama Bear wrote:

TOTAL guess here: maybe bc women in general are having easier times with covid and not dying as much, so maybe the antibodies they produce are weaker? If a male survives a bad case of covid, maybe his antibodies are stronger?

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:02 am
agreer wrote:
TOTAL guess here: maybe bc women in general are having easier times with covid and not dying as much, so maybe the antibodies they produce are weaker? If a male survives a bad case of covid, maybe his antibodies are stronger?

Interesting idea!

Any doctors on here that can weigh in?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:43 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Women who have been pregnant more than once have a 20-30% chance of having an HLA antibody, which can cause TRALI c"v, transfusion related acute lung injury, to the people who receive the plasma.

https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-b.....trali

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....tigen

Simple1

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:00 pm
A friend who applied told me that they only don't allow women who have ever given birth.

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:16 pm
I’ve given birth a few times and have just been called as a positive plasma donee candidate. I’m so so happy to be able to help in some way.

Sweet as Pie

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:49 am
Dunno I had it a LOT LOT worse than my husband. So I guess it’s not true that men get it worse. At least not ALL.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:55 am
Sweet as Pie wrote:
Dunno I had it a LOT LOT worse than my husband. So I guess it’s not true that men get it worse. At least not ALL.

It’s a broad generalization. Women, in general, are not as affected. Unfortunately, no studies have been don’t to determine whether this is age related, which could tell us if there is an estrogen element there. Which, of course, could help in treatment.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Dec 08 2020, 11:42 pm
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html
If I could donate plasma it wouldn't be here. They honestly don't deserve it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics