Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
My daughter wants to become a therapist please help
Previous  1  2

Dolly1

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:31 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
The BA is very little related therapy classes - it is mostly a repeat of High School:

History, Math, English, Science, Foreign Language.

I think it is silly not to just go to get a BA the fastest way - either TTI or Sara Schenerir.

Then you can go to a "real" college for the Masters if you don't think TTI or Sara Schenerir's
master therapist degree is "real" enough.

For a frum girl, who is probably looking to get married young, to spend four years on a BA - that
is not really related to her specialty, is not wise, in my opinion.

I do think it’s important... not every masters program will accept a BA from TTI etc

coloredleaves

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:42 pm
Did she go to send? Most frum people I know get their names in Touro, TTI (where u can mix online and community college in), stern or Fdu. Those give credit for sem and take 2-3 years after sem. If she goes to school over the summers she can probably shave off a half a year or even a full year. Sara Schneider I believe has a way of making it take only a year to a little more to get the ba. not sure how.
The masters is generally two years though possibly sara Schneir may be shorter- not sure.

For the ba City schools like the CUNY system are cheaper but a lot of people would rather pay more to finish a whole year or two faster in the schools that take sem credit and move frum students a long. Also the frum schools are easier to draw iyh re Yom Tov bc you don't have class to make up over yom tov.

If she is still in high school many high schools now offer fdu or Touro credit in high school itself fro some classes which can also shave a half a year off of the BA. we are in a mid level yeshivish area where most girls go to college and get degrees but only in frum environments. All finished in three years or less bc they got sem year to count and did summer school. Many finished in 2 or 2 1/2 years post sem. Also keep in mind college is usually 2-3 days a week. Some girls are able to have jobs and/ or be married with family responsibilities while in college. It isn't 9-5 like high school.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 08 2020, 11:50 pm
coloredleaves wrote:
Did she go to send? Most frum people I know get their names in Touro, TTI (where u can mix online and community college in), stern or Fdu. Those give credit for sem and take 2-3 years after sem. If she goes to school over the summers she can probably shave off a half a year or even a full year. Sara Schneider I believe has a way of making it take only a year to a little more to get the ba. not sure how.
The masters is generally two years though possibly sara Schneir may be shorter- not sure.

For the ba City schools like the CUNY system are cheaper but a lot of people would rather pay more to finish a whole year or two faster in the schools that take sem credit and move frum students a long. Also the frum schools are easier to draw iyh re Yom Tov bc you don't have class to make up over yom tov.

If she is still in high school many high schools now offer fdu or Touro credit in high school itself fro some classes which can also shave a half a year off of the BA. we are in a mid level yeshivish area where most girls go to college and get degrees but only in frum environments. All finished in three years or less bc they got sem year to count and did summer school. Many finished in 2 or 2 1/2 years post sem. Also keep in mind college is usually 2-3 days a week. Some girls are able to have jobs and/ or be married with family responsibilities while in college. It isn't 9-5 like high school.

I went to touro, it doesnt take that fast even with seminary credits! Most ppl I know who went to touro finished in 4 years, maybe a drop less but definitely not in 2 & half years

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also she is the type to need to sit in class not Clep and study alone for huge tests like I heard they do in tti

Almost all colleges accept cleps for credits in certain subjects; I just checked and CUNY accepts cleps as well. Even if she just does four, five cleps - that's an entire semester done right there. Analyzing and interpreting literature for example, is relatively easy and it's worth three credits.

TTI is excellent but you really do need a lot of internal motivation, plus you need to be able to study and take tests independently.

Also, btw, college classes are NOT a repeat of the same subject in high school.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 12:21 am
The new seminary (reb Bulka/Liu university) is the quickest but also the most costly but you can start working 18 months sooner!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:51 am
I did TTI before it was called TTI. It took me 8 months and then I went to social work school not CUNY. So 2 years 8 months approx for the whole thing.

thriver

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 8:58 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I went to touro, it doesnt take that fast even with seminary credits! Most ppl I know who went to touro finished in 4 years, maybe a drop less but definitely not in 2 & half years

I did it in two. I got credits for some high school classes, seminary, clepped as many as was allowed and finished my BA in two years. Joke was that it then took me almost four years to do my master’s! (I took it slow...!) and I still haven’t worked in my field... (Almost eight years later...) Baruch HaShem! We like to think we can plan our futures...

amother
White

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 9:08 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:

I got a BA in psychology at Touro in less than 2 years. I got credits through Touro in my senior year of high school. They gave me a certain number of credits for seminary. Then I started in June after seminary and took the maximum number of credits every semester and finished in January, less than 2 years later. I worked very hard though and definitely would not have learned as much if I hadn't actually sat through classes with professors.

Babakazoo

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:00 am
Hi,

I graduated from CUNY Brooklyn College for my BA (Psychology major) and I received by EdM in Mental Heath Counseling from CUNY- Hunter College.

Feel free to private message me about either program or school.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:51 am
Dolly1 wrote:
Hi!
I’m a speech and language pathologist.
Yes, it takes approximately 6 years, depending on what kind of degree she is pursuing.
Licensing- every state has its own requirements and she will have to inquire when the time comes, but it’s not such a big deal. And about the Cuny college u mentioned; im wouldnt know cuz I never heard of this college

SIX YEARS?! Took me a year and two thirds! And then another 10 months of CFY.
Do you have a SLPD?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:57 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
I did TTI before it was called TTI. It took me 8 months and then I went to social work school not CUNY. So 2 years 8 months approx for the whole thing.

TTI and other similar “express” BAs are definitely not accepted in all grad schools. Please do your research.

Dolly1

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
SIX YEARS?! Took me a year and two thirds! And then another 10 months of CFY.
Do you have a SLPD?

A year and two thirds for BS AND MS?!
Sorry but that makes no sense in a legit program
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics