Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Supposed to eat zeroa from seder plate at lunch meal?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 2:53 pm
Are you supposed to eat zeroa from the seder plate at the lunch meal of Pesach?

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:11 pm
I never heard of that minhag.
I would be interested to know who follows that, and what they do with the zeroa to keep it safe to eat.
I don't use a bone with any meat on it, but I am always interested in hearing about minhagim.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:17 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I never heard of that minhag.
I would be interested to know who follows that, and what they do with the zeroa to keep it safe to eat.
I don't use a bone with any meat on it, but I am always interested in hearing about minhagim.

I believe that some of the Edot Hamizrach have the minhag of eating the zeroa- some during the Seder itself and some the next day.

MommyM

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:18 pm
And some people have the minhag not to eat it at all afterwards, so check what your family / kehilloh does.

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:26 pm
Eating the zeroa at the seder certainly sounds better from a food safety point of view than eating it the next day after it being out on the table for so many hours, to say nothing of it being out for 2 full sedarim.

etky

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:33 pm
MommyM wrote:
And some people have the minhag not to eat it at all afterwards, so check what your family / kehilloh does.

Isn't that the prevailing Ashkenazi minhag?
I saw a recipe for zeroa on a(Hebrew) recipe website and was stunned till I read that some edot have the minhag of eating it.

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:38 pm
Yes you are because it was used for a mitzva but u cant eat it on the seder night. Best thing is to eat it on the 2nd day cuz if u eat it on the first day then you'll have to roast a second one that night. Unless u make two

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 3:52 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
Yes you are because it was used for a mitzva but u cant eat it on the seder night. Best thing is to eat it on the 2nd day cuz if u eat it on the first day then you'll have to roast a second one that night. Unless u make two

You’re not supppsed to eat roasted at seders.

Hillery

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 4:02 pm
You're not allowed to eat any roasted meat at the seder (even pot roast), but you can eat it at the day meal. If you forget to roast it till leil haseder, you would have to eat it the next day, otherwise it's cooking on yomtev for nothing.

talented

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 2:32 am
My husbands minhag is to eat at the seder , boiled. My family's minhag was to roast it and eat it 2nd day meal.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:15 am
Hillery wrote:
You're not allowed to eat any roasted meat at the seder (even pot roast), but you can eat it at the day meal. If you forget to roast it till leil haseder, you would have to eat it the next day, otherwise it's cooking on yomtev for nothing.

I believe it may be minhag, not straight up Halacha. While I don't eat roasted meat, I would hesitate to tell others that they are not allowed, as I do not know what others hold by.

sky

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:53 am
We don’t eat or cook first 2 days.
After then We add it to a soup for flavor (ours is a lamb shank not chicken)

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:33 am
I toss after second seder. Would never dream of eating meat that had been sitting out for 12 hours! ( two 6 hour sedarim )
And NO reheating will NOT kill the toxins made by the food poisoning bacteria

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:36 am
Some do, some don't. We're in Israel. After the Seder, I refrigerate the lamb shank (way cooler than a chicken pulke!) and warm it up to go with lunch the next day. Lamb roasted with garlic and thyme is excellent!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:46 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
I believe it may be minhag, not straight up Halacha. While I don't eat roasted meat, I would hesitate to tell others that they are not allowed, as I do not know what others hold by.

Everything I've read and been taught* says that you cannot eat anything roasted at the seder. If it's cooked with a little bit of liquid, even in a "roasting style", then it's fine. Add a 1/4 cup of water, broth, or wine when you "roast" your meat, and you won't have a shaila.

Some have a minhag not to eat anything roasted for the entire chag, but that's more of a personal thing, and not straight halacha.

I suppose I could have added the shank to a pot of soup, but I don't have the minhag to use it after the seder. I'm going to wrap mine in foil and dispose of it properly. I've heard that some people give the lamb shank to their dogs! I could never do that, it just seems so disrespectful.

*If you have a different source, I'll be happy to check it out. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it. I am not a rabbi.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics