Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Remote SEIT is approved - now what?!
Previous  1  2

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:02 pm
I have the same concerns as you all. And I decided to go on unemployment instead.
The law doesn’t usually allow 1099s to file for unemployment but there is an exception being made during this time when so many can’t work due to job closures.
And having my kids home means I need to be available to them. It’s really not practical. I don’t have privacy, certainly not for hours a day to do therapy via zoom. I’d have to go sit in my car and I think that’s very unfair to my own kids.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:14 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I have the same concerns as you all. And I decided to go on unemployment instead.
The law doesn’t usually allow 1099s to file for unemployment but there is an exception being made during this time when so many can’t work due to job closures.
And having my kids home means I need to be available to them. It’s really not practical. I don’t have privacy, certainly not for hours a day to do therapy via zoom. I’d have to go sit in my car and I think that’s very unfair to my own kids.

Really? are you totally sure? That's great. I was thinking about doing this, since I'd be working much less hours so the pay may come out close to what I would make on unemployment anyways. So I've been trying get through to the unemployment office all week even though I thought I'd likely not be eligible since I was on a 1099 till recently.... I'd love to know for sure that I can get and be on it, before turning down my students, but can't get through to unemployment and I can't wait forever to tell the parents so not sure what to do....

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Really? are you totally sure? That's great. I was thinking about doing this, since I'd be working much less hours so the pay may come out close to what I would make on unemployment anyways. So I've been trying get through to the unemployment office all week even though I thought I'd likely not be eligible since I was on a 1099 till recently.... I'd love to know for sure that I can get and be on it, before turning down my students, but can't get through to unemployment and I can't wait forever to tell the parents so not sure what to do....

Yes, you can look it up. Self employed can now apply for unemployment. I would try to apply and see what happens. There may be some people who don’t receive it for whatever reason but the program has been expanded for 1099s.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:54 pm
How much can you get from unemployment? If you have a hard time getting through because they're deluged right now, is it retroactive to the date that you lost employment?

So far I'm still trying to coordinate with the families. Two didn't answer the phone or messages yet, one I'm in the process of communicating by messages.

Similar deal with SETSS, except SETSS is so much easier because the kids are older and better able to comprehend. Pays less because I don't think I could handle groups remotely (their schedules are never going to mesh....) but whatever. So SETSS also I have some not answering phone/messages, and one who's basically ready to go but having some technology/connectivity issues.

I still think income will be better than unemployment, and the headache is the cost one needs to put in to get that income. But if your family has high needs then I hear the obstacle. Even a partial caseload, though - I think unemployment is maximum a few hundred a week. Even a couple of hours a day of SEIT is going to get you more than that, and your agency will be grateful that you're filling mandates, and it will be good for the kids (those who have what to benefit.)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 8:18 pm
Hello! I started doing zoom p3 and SEIT remotely. It isnt bad. Actually can accomplish a lot with fewer distractions around that usually are in classroom. BUT you must be well prepared and it's definitely harder

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 8:46 pm
seeker wrote:
How much can you get from unemployment? If you have a hard time getting through because they're deluged right now, is it retroactive to the date that you lost employment?

So far I'm still trying to coordinate with the families. Two didn't answer the phone or messages yet, one I'm in the process of communicating by messages.

Similar deal with SETSS, except SETSS is so much easier because the kids are older and better able to comprehend. Pays less because I don't think I could handle groups remotely (their schedules are never going to mesh....) but whatever. So SETSS also I have some not answering phone/messages, and one who's basically ready to go but having some technology/connectivity issues.

I still think income will be better than unemployment, and the headache is the cost one needs to put in to get that income. But if your family has high needs then I hear the obstacle. Even a partial caseload, though - I think unemployment is maximum a few hundred a week. Even a couple of hours a day of SEIT is going to get you more than that, and your agency will be grateful that you're filling mandates, and it will be good for the kids (those who have what to benefit.)

Well, think about it.
600 from federal
Up to 504 from state
Total 1104 per week without the stress of dealing with working and havign your own kids to be there for. Looks loke a win for me. I would love to but unfortunately/fortunately depending on hownyou look at it, one of my jobs still continues so I cannot file for unemployment. However the income that I am earning from this job is so marginally higher than unemployment I wish that unemployment would be an option.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:51 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Hello! I started doing zoom p3 and SEIT remotely. It isnt bad. Actually can accomplish a lot with fewer distractions around that usually are in classroom. BUT you must be well prepared and it's definitely harder

Fewer distractions? At least in the classroom all the distractions are hopefully part of the learning environment. I have kids with siblings running amok. Even when the siblings aren't causing issues, their own home is itself a distraction, they're not used to doing work there, they know where they like to hide out and what they like to do instead.

But, we're professionals, we're creative, we can kind of sort of try to figure out how to handle the distractions, though it takes a lot of trial and error and feels like reinventing the wheel because the school wheels don't work anymore.

But the needing to prepare a lot harder is what's really killing me. Most of the resources people recommend require better technology - you can only share mouse control with a computer and my kids are all on phones or tablets. Our connections never seem to be good enough for streaming videos. And you need to be ON the whole time. No helping the kid through classroom transitions or cueing them to follow teacher's directions - you need to do it ALL. And prepare for it ALL. Enough to fill an hour every day without repeating too much. I just can't keep up with it. I would probably do better after Pesach but right now it's just been too much. It's 1 a.m. on erev Pesach and I am still working on my kitchen (not IN my kitchen, working ON cleaning and turning over my kitchen) and the laundry is still going because all my other nights, days, and mental energy have been CONSUMED with work. And because today I focused on laundry and cleaning, I have no idea what I'm doing in my sessions tomorrow. And it looks like I may need to spend the whole chol hamoed with this on my head. Everyone together please pray that I get both a sub and the parents' agreement for the sub. I need a break from this so badly. I need a fresh start after yom tov (though there will be overdue laundry then too...lol)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics