Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I got a masters in education and never used it
Previous  1  2

healthymom1

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 2:18 pm
You can teach english to Chinese kids. Online. Own schedule. Different online companies to work for.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 4:33 pm
I'm the same age as you and also have a Masters in education. I did Early Childhood education and Special Ed. I don't work in the field but I did for about 5 years.
I don't think it was a waste because every job I have had has always been impressed that I have a masters and I used it as a negotiating tool to get a higher salary at one of my positions.
I am currently a manager of a large company and I believe that my background in education has helped me understand my employees better and has given me the tools to give over new information in ways that all my employees can understand it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 5:49 pm
Thank you

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 6:34 pm
OP have you worked at all in education?
Because if you haven't, that's a huge gap you'd need to address for any prospective employers.
If you have, you should have an idea if this is something you'd be interested in starting up again, whatever the capacity.
I've sat in many an interview panel and I can tell you, principals are quite picky and you definitely need to demonstrate an enthusiasm for this field. I feel like, if anything, requirements and expectations have become much stiffer over the years. Education isn't for everyone and that's ok. Don't make yourself miserable by forcing yourself to fit something you really don't want!! You will end up miserable

lamplighter

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 6:42 pm
I think you need to decide whether you want to work in this field you mastered in because you want to use your degree or if you want to work through your feelings of resentment around the waste of money.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 8:59 am
There is a concept of sunk cost. Right now you need to grieve this money and do the kind if work that best suits you now. Hugs.

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 11:16 pm
It is not at all uncommon, these days, to not use a degree that you trained for a paid for 20 years ago. My daughter became an OT ten years ago and was the youngest in her class by far, because everyone was on their second career choice.
In my opinion you probably are putting your degree to great use as a mother, aunt and neighbor, though you might not see financial compensation for it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics