Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What to do with Perishable food over pesach

amother

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 11:21 pm
What do you do with your non pesachdik perishable food over pesach?

throw it out?
store it in another fridge and sell it?
keep it in your cleaned for pesach fridge ? shock

I dont know what to do.

Shoshie

Post Tue, Apr 01 2014, 11:31 pm
I put perishable foods in the vegetable drawers at the bottom of my only refrigerator. Then I put garbage bags on the bottom shelves of the refrigerator, draping the bags over the drawers and taping them down so I can't even see the drawers. Of course I include that location in the list of what I'm selling.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 12:33 am
I keep in my frig (only have one frig). I just use several grocery bags and wrap it up and store on the frig door or on one shelf. Usually by pesach I don't have too much perishable food left.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 12:35 am
we try to finish as much as possible before pesach and we put the rest in the vegetable drawers in the second fridge. If it can fit in one drawer thats great otherwise we sell both drawers.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 12:38 am
I have done:

1) Store in the fridge of someone who is not cleaning their house for Pesach (obviously sold with the chometz)

2) Stored in a small dorm refrigerator (when we had one)

3) Freeze whatever can be frozen (we have a small freezer on top of our fridge that we sell, and a full size freezer I clean for Pesach)

4) Reassess if it NEEDS refrigeration (ketchup will usually be fine for a few days, but don't tell the food safety police I said that)

5) Throw it out.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 7:31 am
I was told that I can't keep sold did in my fridge, even wrapped, even in a sealed off section of the fridge.
We have stored it in the fridge of friends going away and sold it.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 7:42 am
We throw away things that we know will go bad in a week and other things go into one of the vegetable drawers and are covered with newspaper and is sold. (our rav does not ask for specifics in terms of locations of the chametz)

anotherima

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 7:50 am
The Happy Wife wrote:
I was told that I can't keep sold did in my fridge, even wrapped, even in a sealed off section of the fridge.
We have stored it in the fridge of friends going away and sold it.

Us too.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:25 am
All the food goes. I keep one small drawer of my 2nd fridge filled with expensive vitamins and supplements, probiotics, etc. Things that are not really anyway food and not chametz, just not klp and very costly to replace. Seal it in ziplocks and tape the drawer shut very well.

Marion

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 1:18 pm
In an opaque garbage bag in the fruit and vegetable drawers of the fridge.

rosehill

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
I have done:

1) Store in the fridge of someone who is not cleaning their house for Pesach (obviously sold with the chometz)

2) Stored in a small dorm refrigerator (when we had one)

3) Freeze whatever can be frozen (we have a small freezer on top of our fridge that we sell, and a full size freezer I clean for Pesach)

4) Reassess if it NEEDS refrigeration (ketchup will usually be fine for a few days, but don't tell the food safety police I said that)

5) Throw it out.

I don't believe ketchup is chametz, it's just kitniyot. You're allowed to own kitniyot on Pesach, just Ashkenazim are noheg not to eat it.
I throw out any perishables that are real chametz (there's rarely much left), but kitniyot I keep in a bag at the back of the fridge.

sky

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 3:39 pm
We pack in a box or garbage back and leave on a shelf and mark very clearly so it is always visible that it was sold to a non-jew. Most of it isn't real chametz but just used with chametz or kitniyos.

I have two refrigerators so I have the space to use up a shelf for this. If I only had one I don't know that I would do it.

imasinger

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 5:04 pm
rosehill wrote:
I don't believe ketchup is chametz, it's just kitniyot. You're allowed to own kitniyot on Pesach, just Ashkenazim are noheg not to eat it. I
I throw out any perishables that are real chametz (there's rarely much left), but kitniyot I keep in a bag at the back of the fridge.

Not only is ketchup (and other American made products with vinegar) kitniyot, but it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Ever.

Look it up.

Neither does mustard, or commercially produced mayo.

Some say they taste better when kept in the fridge, but they certainly can live for a week on the shelf.

Jellies and jams can live without refrigeration for a week, preferably in a cool, dark place. Maple syrup doesn't need refrigeration, either.

You'll probably find that you don't have that much to worry about.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 1:34 pm
What about this year?
Have bread and other stuff in the freezer and refrigerator that I stocked up.
Haven’t left my house in weeks and don’t expect tot the day after pesach either,

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 5:45 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
What about this year?
Have bread and other stuff in the freezer and refrigerator that I stocked up.
Haven’t left my house in weeks and don’t expect tot the day after pesach either,
Keep it in the freezer and sell it. Non need to throw anything out.

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:19 am
This year even for people that normally don't sell real chometz, rabbanim do allow. aylor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics