Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pregnant- charoset with grape juice instead of wine?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:36 pm
It's just the two of us - am I being overcautious if I use grape juice instead of wine in my charoset?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:38 pm
Do whatever makes you feel comfortable, but I highly doubt the amount of wine in charoset is problematic for pregnancy.

mamma llama

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's just the two of us - am I being overcautious if I use grape juice instead of wine in my charoset?

Not at all. We generally make one with wine and one with grape juice for guests that can't have the wine. The taste isn't even that different.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:43 pm
Yes that's overcautious. A dip into charoses, that has a splash of wine....do you not take a sip of Kiddush?
A friend of mine was pregnant on pesach and didn't realize and had all the 4 cups of wine, freaked out and asked her doctor who said shes fine.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 10:49 pm
Yes you are being over cautious. A sip of wine, and even a small glass here and there towards the end is not a problem. The biggest problem is lots of alcohol during the first trimester.

But if it makes you more comfortable then hey why not. Your peace of mind is very important!

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 11:02 pm
According to Halacha you are not supposed to eat the Charoses at the seder. You are supposed to dip and shake it off. You are supposed to use wine so of course you should use it as you won’t really be eating it anyway.
IyH you’ll be pregnant many more times and you’ll see that this type of thing will have zero effect on the pregnancy.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 07 2020, 11:20 pm
To me that would be considered overcautious, I drink 4 cups of wine even when pregnant. (Okay, throw your tomatoes now. But I have more than 7 kids and don't worry about it.)

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:49 am
I always make it with grape juice.

Zehava

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:51 am
Yeah lol even a cup or two of wine is fine. When I went into early labor the doctor told me the next time it happens to drink a glass of wine.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:00 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
According to Halacha you are not supposed to eat the Charoses at the seder. You are supposed to dip and shake it off. You are supposed to use wine so of course you should use it as you won’t really be eating it anyway.

LOL. "According to halacha?"

Um, not everyone holds this way -- not by a longshot.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:51 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
IyH you’ll be pregnant many more times and you’ll see that this type of thing will have zero effect on the pregnancy.

For maror and koreich you dip and shake. But many of us finish it off in shulchan orech.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 4:13 am
We just dip and shake off the charoset. the amount of wine that would end up on your lettuce is minuscule.
I made it with grape juice this year because I have no sweet red wine and it tastes delicious.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 4:21 am
We always use grape juice.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 09 2020, 5:03 pm
Growing up it was always made with grape juice. I never even thought to make it with wine. And now, even though we live in Israel, we buy a bottle of kedem grape juice as its the "taste" of charoset that I remember from my childhood Smile

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 2:38 pm
I always use grape juice.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 2:41 pm
I made it with grape juice because my 4 year old really wanted and she taka ate quite a bit of it Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics