Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
No Pesach
Previous  1  2

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:58 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Say hi đź‘‹ to him for me.

It's easier to figure out who my son is. My BIL is not frum.

We don't live near him. Smile

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:16 pm
The OP has a different issue than the person whose family is not well.

I quarantined myself in a bedroom so as not to get sick from the people who are outside working or otherwise being careless.

There are bigger more complicated concerns as in unusual to the typical issues. Unfortunately.

Not even sure if other household members will not care to bring chometz into the home. Do NOT want to be here. There. Or. Anywhere.

No desire to out myself.

Not going to grovel for matzah!

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I quarantined myself in a bedroom so as not to get sick from the people who are outside working or otherwise being careless.

There are bigger more complicated concerns as in unusual to the typical issues. Unfortunately.

Not even sure if other household members will not care to bring chometz into the home. Do NOT want to be here. There. Or. Anywhere.

No desire to out myself.

I totally get it that you don’t want to give too many details. But if you are literally in a situation where you can’t get matzah for Chag please PM one of the amothers on here who offered to help you. It wouldn’t be groveling. We are all rooting for to and will be celebrating YT with you even if the people you are living with are not.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
You just gave away who your BIL is....

How? All she said is he lives in Kentucky. There are 4.5 million people in Kentucky.

Learning

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No desire to out myself.

Op. The only thing you need is a little matza for the Seder. Otherwise there are plenty kosher for pesach food in a regulars grocery store. Produce is always kosher. There are a lot of food that is kosher for pesach year around. Can you order matza online. Even if it’s not the “best” hechsher. Also canned goods are best option right now for you. You just open eat and dispose. All with disposable utensils.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:20 pm
imorethanamother wrote:
My Rav told me:

1) No need to cover anything. Pour boiling water over it all. Done. And if you do chumras, this is the year to give them up. If you have tile counters, you can stick some foil on them.

Not all surfaces are kasherable, so people need to ask THEIR OWN RAV
Are you sure your rav meant for you to plaster his psak to YOU on the internet? Why would his psak apply to ME, if I don’t know who he is and I don’t know if I ever follow his general derech?

2) Put the oven burners on high, put the oven on self-clean. Done.
This is what we do every year. What do other people do?

3) You don't need cabinets. There's a perfectly good floor! That's what I decided!
It’s very nice that YOU decided, but my husband won’t use anything that’s been on the floor, opened or closed. It’s very nice that everyone is saying “this is not the year for chumros” but that’s easier said than done for a lot of people. Some things are so ingrained in people, that they don’t even realize what is a chumra, and to them it’s like halacha.

4) Food is the hardest part! The cleaning - worse comes to absolute worse, say that thing where you sell all the chometz you didn't find and done.[quote]
What if I don’t have enough space to put away all my food, because I need to use some cabinets for pesach stuff?

Bottom line is, EVERYONE NEEDS TO SPEAK TO THEIR RAV, not rely on what someone else said her rav said.

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [OP] wrote:

No desire to out myself.

First and foremost, you should have a refuah shleimah.

Second, we do understand how incredibly challenging it is to be in a home that might still have chametz in it, and there's nothing you can do.

Third, we do understand how lonely and depressing it is to think of having absolutely nobody to connect to, no feeling of Pesach at all.

If you were in your normal situation, where you had sedarim to attend, and were feeling well, and heard about someone in the situation you are now, would you think twice about sending them some Seder basics, out of sympathy and understanding? Well, guess what, we wouldn't dream of calling it groveling or think twice about wanting to help. Not because you're a nebbuch case, but because we care.

Please don't make your friends here grovel to help you. The offers are sincere.

Also, I want to personally offer a pre Pesach and Chol Hamoed connection. PM me, let's talk together or learn together if you're up to it. If not, I'll play piano and sing some Pesach songs for you.

You may be alone in your room with a household that doesn't get it, but you are not alone.

Hug

imasinger

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:25 pm
Amother cerulean, have you spoken to your rav?

And has your DH?

This year, many things we thought the leaders of our generation would never agree to are actually being insisted on.

Shailos MUST be asked!

Rappel

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No desire to out myself.

It's been done. DH used to lead the Seder when he was a teen for his non-religious dad and all their non-Jewish guests. Kosher in general was a madhouse, and pesach doubly so, but he did what he could. You can do it too. There is hope. And so long as you don't eat chametz, you haven't sinned. You're good. Just check your room, and have a great Pesach!

(Funny story: the first Seder that DH ran, he was very new to halacha. DH told his dad they needed to drink wine at the Seder, so his dad bought balloon glasses for the Seder. DH knew you needed to drink a full glass of wine for each cup, so they ended up finishing two bottles apiece by the time he'd forced his dad to drink it all with him! (The non-Jews at the table were appalled and fascinated, and chose to be spectators for this "esoteric tradition"). The year after that, DH's dad swore that he would never drink that much wine again, so he bought smaller glasses. It was only when they sat down at the Seder that DH realized that the glasses his dad had bought just had shorter stems, but they were the same size as the half-bottle glasses of the year before. So, dedicated to halacha as he was, he forced them to drink 4 whole balloon glasses of wine again!)

Last edited by Rappel on Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:34 pm
imasinger wrote:
Amother cerulean, have you spoken to your rav?

And has your DH?

This year, many things we thought the leaders of our generation would never agree to are actually being insisted on.

Shailos MUST be asked!

I know, my point was we all not to speak to our OWN rabbanim, not these anonymous “my rav said” things.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 9:54 am
Update:

The worst fights here are about social distancing rather than chometz. Albeit the nightmares I woke up to were cheese doodles all over my pesachdike oven.....

Miraculously Eliyahu HaNavi sent me pesach matzah!!!!! Yad Hashem

IvriAnochi

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 10:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update:

Baruch HaShem!

chanchy123

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 10:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update:

The worst fights here are about social distancing rather than chometz. Albeit the nightmares I woke up to were cheese doodles all over my pesachdike oven.....

Wonderful! Chag Sameach

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 11:15 am
OP, its a shame you didnt post a few days ago

I paniced two weeks ago and bought matza in Bingo and my husband got from KFS

Then a few days ago we received an unexpected delivery of about 5 or 6 boxes

I posted on MatzaShadchan but no one called me,
I woukd of been happy to send you matza if I knew a few days ago

bargainlover

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 11:20 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
OP, its a shame you didnt post a few days ago

I paniced two weeks ago and bought matza in Bingo and my husband got from KFS

Then a few days ago we received an unexpected delivery of about 5 or 6 boxes

I posted on MatzaShadchan but no one called me,
I woukd of been happy to send you matza if I knew a few days ago

Do you still have matzo available?

anonymrs

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 10:36 pm
OP, how are you doing?

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:43 pm
[quote="amother [ Cerulean ]"]Not all surfaces are kasherable, so people need to ask THEIR OWN RAV
Are you sure your rav meant for you to plaster his psak to YOU on the internet? Why would his psak apply to ME, if I don’t know who he is and I don’t know if I ever follow his general derech?

2) Put the oven burners on high, put the oven on self-clean. Done.
This is what we do every year. What do other people do?

3) You don't need cabinets. There's a perfectly good floor! That's what I decided!
It’s very nice that YOU decided, but my husband won’t use anything that’s been on the floor, opened or closed. It’s very nice that everyone is saying “this is not the year for chumros” but that’s easier said than done for a lot of people. Some things are so ingrained in people, that they don’t even realize what is a chumra, and to them it’s like halacha.

4) Food is the hardest part! The cleaning - worse comes to absolute worse, say that thing where you sell all the chometz you didn't find and done.
Quote:

What if I don’t have enough space to put away all my food, because I need to use some cabinets for pesach stuff?

Bottom line is, EVERYONE NEEDS TO SPEAK TO THEIR RAV, not rely on what someone else said her rav said.

You're very shouty. Instead of insisting that everything be needlessly complicated, I'm not sure why we can't be nice to the OP and rely on the makil opinion, regardless. Especially when the OP said she didn't even think she could make Pesach, your contribution was to say how we should all rely on chumrahs this year because that's what we should do.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:16 am
imorethanamother wrote:
You're very shouty. Instead of insisting that everything be needlessly complicated, I'm not sure why we can't be nice to the OP and rely on the makil opinion, regardless. Especially when the OP said she didn't even think she could make Pesach, your contribution was to say how we should all rely on chumrahs this year because that's what we should do.

Actually, I wasn’t yelling, it was a quoted and bolded response that didn’t work out quite the way to was supposed to.
My response in no way said anyone should rely on chumros. What I said, had you read it correctly, was that everyone needs to ask their rav what they should and shouldn’t be doing this year. People should not be relying on randomly posted “my rav said....” comments, which very often are taken out of context and were never meant to be a general blanket psak.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:19 am
imorethanamother wrote:

Also, my post wasn’t even a response to OP, it was a response directly to what YOU said.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics