Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
White tablecloth
1  2  Next

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 11:29 am
My husband said that people usually use a white table cloth for their sedar. Is this true? I guess in my house growing up we only used white tablecloths all year so I never knew it was a thing for pesach.
If this is true what is the reason for using white? We only have color ones so it will be color for us for this year...

miami85

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 11:35 am
If I had to guess related to the reason for the kittel, but they are both minhagim so probably not the end of the world if you dont' have. You can wash a year-round tablecloth and use it for pesach though.

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:15 pm
miami85 wrote:
If I had to guess related to the reason for the kittel, but they are both minhagim so probably not the end of the world if you dont' have. You can wash a year-round tablecloth and use it for pesach though.

I don't own a white tablecloth for pesach or the rest of the year so I sure hope it's not the end of the world! Very Happy

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:27 pm
Our Pesach tablecloth is a deep blue damask — it's beautiful! Lucky14, my Shabbos tablecloth isn't white either; we must have the same minhag!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:54 pm
lucky14 wrote:
My husband said that people usually use a white table cloth for their sedar. Is this true? I guess in my house growing up we only used white tablecloths all year so I never knew it was a thing for pesach.
If this is true what is the reason for using white? We only have color ones so it will be color for us for this year...

Does he have any source? Wasn't planning on using my white one and my husband saud he never heard of it.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 12:56 pm
lucky14 wrote:

Double post

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:04 pm
That's funny, I was just setting the tablecloth and husband also asked if we have a white tablecloth, I told him I have a white and gold.
The one we use all year is an off light pink.
I do have two white ones that I got as wedding gifts but one is ugly and the other is too expensive to maintain/ clean.

sub

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:06 pm
White used to be the go to for shabbos and yom tov. Styles have changed. My kids have pale gold or silver. I have white with a gray runner.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:50 pm
I use white tablecloths for all tables shabbos and yom tov.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:53 pm
It's a minhag for some people. Many people don't. I'm sure your Seder will be beautiful, whatever color tablecloth you use!

agreer

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 1:58 pm
It's a strong minhag. White used to be super expensive and elegant.

I'm sure any beautiful tablecloth you have will do. And if it isn't super beautiful, that's okay too. The table just needs to be covered.

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Does he have any source? Wasn't planning on using my white one and my husband saud he never heard of it.

Oh no I wasn't trying to start anything! I Know it's not halacha, I'm sure just a minhag some have. Like I said we don't own one and even if I'd found out about this earlier I wouldn't have purchased one. I was just wondering if this was really something others did- purposely having a white tablecloth for the sedar and if so why.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 3:32 pm
My poor DDs are never going to get shiduchim now!
We have never made Pesach before and I just got a beautiful pleather silver/grey tablecloth from closeout connection that I can wipe grape juice right off of.
It seems insane to me that anyone would willingly put any white fabric in the same room as children with food.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 3:36 pm
lucky14 wrote:
Oh no I wasn't trying to start anything! I Know it's not halacha, I'm sure just a minhag some have. Like I said we don't own one and even if I'd found out about this earlier I wouldn't have purchased one. I was just wondering if this was really something others did- purposely having a white tablecloth for the sedar and if so why.

Don't worry! Still going to use my colored one. He said it's probably a chassidish minhag.

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
My poor DDs are never going to get shiduchim now!
We have never made Pesach before and I just got a beautiful pleather silver/grey tablecloth from closeout connection that I can wipe grape juice right off of.
It seems insane to me that anyone would willingly put any white fabric in the same room as children with food.

Exactly! And with so much wine and grape juice!

lucky14

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 5:12 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Don't worry! Still going to use my colored one. He said it's probably a chassidish minhag.

Oooh makes sense. He grew up chasidish.

SingALong

Post Wed, Apr 08 2020, 5:56 pm
I use white, with plastic on top. I sometimes use a silver lace on top of a white backing. Dh told me it doesn’t matter either way. Growing up my mother used white or ivory. My mil always useS white.

twizzlers1

Post Thu, Apr 09 2020, 6:29 pm
I only have colored tablecloths. We didn't even make it through the first cup without spills everywhere. We had plastic on but it still got everywhere.🙈

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:52 am
lucky14 wrote:
Exactly! And with so much wine and grape juice!

I use a hard clear plastic tablecloth to cover the white tablecloth and then a disposable after each meal.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:56 am
Chassidish Hungarian
We only use white on pesach and all Yomim Tovim and on shabbos
Even when we cater a shabbos simcha we always use white
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics