Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Make kugel without a pesach toaster oven or regular oven
1  2  Next

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 7:51 am
Has anybody made potato kugel without an oven?
We forgot to kasher our oven and I need some NOW.

How do you do it?

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 7:58 am
Deep frying pan. Heat oil well, dump in regular kugel recipe, flip over on a wide plate after sides are well done (use plenty of oil so you can jab a spoon around to check the sides, and cook again to finish top.

Not a lowfat kugel option but delicious nevertheless.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 7:59 am
A giant latka.

Adjust the amount of potatoes to the size of your frying pan, and other ingredients in proportion. Fry gently over a medium heat. When it is brown round the edges slide out onto a plate and invert the pan over it, so the uncooked side is now on the bottom, and carry on cooking. This side will probably be done quicker than the first side.

hello 1

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:01 am
You can make it in a good tfal lined pot on the cooktop. You can use a frying pan too, but will be much flatter.

Make your regular potato kugel, put oil in the pot. Swish Oil around so it gets on the sides too.
Pour batter in. When the sides of the kugel are able to be ‘pulled’ from the side of the pot then with a knife go all around the pot so the sides are loose and shake the pot so the bottom is loose. Then flip kugel onto a plate add a drop more oil to pot and put the side that didn’t cook yet back into pot.
Make sure it doesn’t burn!
It is delicious!

thanks

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:51 am
You can kasher the oven now if you want

aycg

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:48 am
People said they’ve made kugel in a Betty Crocker. I never tried though

Elfrida

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 10:48 am
If you have a crockpot, you can also make it in there. Takes some time though.

Stars

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:11 am
I do mine in a frying pan with oil on the bottom and then flip it over on the hotplate. Easier than doing with a plate. You have to make sure it's 3/4 cooked through before flipping. Cover tightly with foil so it doesn't get grey on top and cooks faster.

sub

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:12 am
I almost never make in oven. I have a kugel pan. A double sided pan that allows flipping
Can’t beat the taste
A good rule to follow is 1 egg for two potatoes. And I started mixing different types of potatoes.
I have also made lokshen kugel like that.

sub

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 11:22 am
Just a note: for shnitzel I took the klp tamtam style crackers, smashed them and used as a coating - as they say in yiddish- גוט געלונגן-was very good It was crunchy- not soggy

asmileaday

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 12:12 pm
aycg wrote:
People said they’ve made kugel in a Betty Crocker. I never tried though

Nope didn't work for us. Was a flop and a mess.

Op a frying pan kugel is delicious!!! It's a Pessch classic by us my kids look forward to it all year.
I do 1 potato to 1 egg ratio, salt and a bit of oil in the mixture (usually about 4eggs and 4 potatoes, depends how big your frying pan is and what blade you use to shred it). Pour oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat it up. Pour in mixture. Cook on medium flame. When it starts getting crispy on the bottom (you check with a fork- move away the crust from the edge of the pan to check) take a big real plate. Cover the pan. Flip the kugel onto the plate and then slide it back into the pot to cook the other side.
Yum!

A few years ago we bought a double frying pan specifically for this. It's 2 frying pans that lock into each other and makes the whole process neater. It's also a bit deeper than a regular frying pan so you can make a taller kugel.

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 2:02 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Nope didn't work for us. Was a flop and a mess.

Op a frying pan kugel is delicious!!! It's a Pessch classic by us my kids look forward to it all year.
I do 1 potato to 1 egg ratio, salt and a bit of oil in the mixture (usually about 4eggs and 4 potatoes, depends how big your frying pan is and what blade you use to shred it). Pour oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Heat it up. Pour in mixture. Cook on medium flame. When it starts getting crispy on the bottom (you check with a fork- move away the crust from the edge of the pan to check) take a big real plate. Cover the pan. Flip the kugel onto the plate and then slide it back into the pot to cook the other side.
Yum!

A few years ago we bought a double frying pan specifically for this. It's 2 frying pans that lock into each other and makes the whole process neater. It's also a bit deeper than a regular frying pan so you can make a taller kugel.

I never had a baked potato kugel growing up, only fried. Baked kugel was for shul or people with other minhagim...or nebach out of town.

Was sure that's how I'd make it but I was never able to master that so-easy-to-write-but-next-to-impossible-to-execute "just flip onto a plate and slide back in" technique so after trying the first several weeks of marriage I gave up and now only bake it. (but it's ok cuz I live in Passaic so I'm now an out of towner)

Can you please post a link to the double frying pan? Would love to give it a shot...

sub

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 2:27 pm
https://www.googleadservices.c.....durl=

asmileaday

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 2:33 pm
sub wrote:
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjWhuDawePoAhVLssgKHaPgAPYYABAGGgJxdQ&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2xXcgEYx1Z5pM9_PAcLhfp4EDy9Ud8fZ-j8EMfl-Dvwzio6DmDsKvjECKNI5a2tDFdmBlG9DBYWm7GZJkOeA&sig=AOD64_0L0l8ZodQLAorTgQb4bqNarPH25A&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwiGvNjawePoAhU4lnIEHelsAeAQ8w56BAgMEBE&adurl=

Yup this is it!
Cpsb you made me laugh with your description!

Try the double pot. Yuuuum.
One pot's rim is slightly larger than than the other so they interlock. I start the kugel in the pot with the smaller rim so when I flip the kugel there's no oil running down the side of the pot.
I also keep the second pot on for the 1st 15 minutes or so, like that the whole kugel heats through. Then I uncover it for maximum crisp. If you leave it uncovered from the start the center top can get brown/gray like when you leave potatoes out exposed to the air.

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:05 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Yup this is it!

One pot's rim is slightly larger than than the other so they interlock. I start the kugel in the pot with the smaller rim so when I flip the kugel there's no oil running down the side of the pot.
I also keep the second pot on for the 1st 15 minutes or so, like that the whole kugel heats through. Then I uncover it for maximum crisp. If you leave it uncovered from the start the center top can get brown/gray like when you leave potatoes out exposed to the air.

Thanks sub for the link and asmileaday for the detailed description of how to use it.

Now I know what I'm asking for my afikomen present! (the kids were really unhappy that I stole it the second night but didn't even have anything specific in mind. Such a waste in their opinion!)

sub

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:27 pm
Your welcome. If you live in tri state area you can order from any of the local stores. And they come in 2 sizes. The buzz, hoffys, etc. they will toivel and deliver
I use it also for sautéing vegetables.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 3:46 pm
OP, do you have a wonder pot/sir pele? fantastic for kugels.

PeanutMama

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 4:15 pm
Thank you everyone!

Now all I need is an onion lol

sub

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 5:08 pm
Try scallions.

cbsp

Post Tue, May 05 2020, 3:37 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Yup this is it!

Yay, we got the pans and even managed to toivel them!

I made kugel in them on Friday but should have remembered to come here to use your tips.

Flipping was incredibly easy and I'm looking forward to trying again this Friday. It does make a smaller kugel though (2.5 lbs of potatoes) so I baked the remainder of the 5lb batter.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes