Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Financial Impact of Covid-19 on Yeshivot
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:05 pm
Prospective dates for Yeshivot to reopen were being pushed back time after time and now no one seems to have an idea when schools will reopen. This combined with the dramatic drop in the stock market, non-essential businesses closed in NY, and unprecedented layoffs are putting a couple of families I know in a precarious position about committing to any Yeshiva next year at this time (it was difficult enough before all this for many families).

Has anyone heard if recent events are impacting Yeshivot and how they are dealing with this crisis financially? Are Yeshivot planning to refund any portion of their tuition if they are not able to open for the remainder of the year? In the unlikely event if classes are not able to restart on time next year, will tuition concessions be made?

Right now, Yehivot have gone to virtual classes but parents are paying physical Yeshiva prices when there were already virtual Yeshivot options for much lower tuition prior to this outbreak.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:07 am
Anecdotally I know some parents at one yeshiva are asking for a refund or a credit since they need to pay for childcare now. Also parents who paid additional for early drop-off and late pickup are asking for a refund or credit.

DeBlasio wanting to close schools for the remainder of the year it is not a good omen.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:11 am
We have been pushing even harder to pay off our tuition this year. Usually we carry a balance and it's hard. But the idea of our children's rebbe and morahs not having paychecks breaks our hearts. So it's hard and business isn't what it could be. But knowing rebbe has what to feed his children is a great consolation to us.

That being said. I'm home with the kids. And took off this year. So we don't have my income. But I'm less crazy and unhinged. Lol

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:15 am
Virtual yeshivot usually have a completely different setup than the one that we currently have now . They are designed as a lower cost model to begin with .

Our schools have definitely not cut any costs now.
Speaking as a parent and as someone involved in school administration- teachers are working very very hard and need to be paid as usual . Most expenses need to be paid as usual.
The only area where costs may have decreased are gas and electric etc ....rent, insurance, etc all need to be paid.

Funding from donors is most likely to be cut, its a hard time for everyone ... schools are in a much harder financial situation than before.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:27 am
I’m a bit perplexed at how everyone is insistent that our teachers and rebbes get paid as usual during this crisis. However, duly noted if so many of us have jobs where we don’t get paid if we don’t work- where should we get the money from?! . Face it- this crisis impacts the families too- probably more than the yeshivas staff. We don’t work- we don’t get paid. It’s a tough spot but I don’t see why teachers or Rebbis have the upper hand- we’re all in a finiacial rut.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:39 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I’m a bit perplexed at how everyone is insistent that our teachers and rebbes get paid as usual during this crisis. However, duly noted if so many of us have jobs where we don’t get paid if we don’t work- where should we get the money from?! . Face it- this crisis impacts the families too- probably more than the yeshivas staff. We don’t work- we don’t get paid. It’s a tough spot but I don’t see why teachers or Rebbis have the upper hand- we’re all in a finiacial rut.

I called the school secretary to find out if paychecks went out. And then I sent cash so that the school could deposit it immediately and hopefully a good chunk of checks would clear. I wouldn't say rebbe's or teachers get the upper hand. It happens to be that every single one of my children's teacher are working. In some ways harder than before. I may not love the setup. And we even ditch a lot of classes. But I want my children to have a school to go back to.

It's hard. I don't blame the families that can't or don't pay. I understand the other side of the argument. Nobody really wins here.

I really get it all the way around. It's just so hard.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:43 am
I work in a school yes payroll is as usual

And additionally there is a huge government grant given out now

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:44 am
It isn't the only reason, but theres a school shutting down in the five towns in part because of the situation

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:46 am
I work in a school. They made us claim for unemployment. I hope the parents get a tuition break.

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:01 am
The school that I work at as well as my children’s schools are giving payroll as usual . And they should- the teachers are working very very hard!

My nursery child’s teacher prepared bags weekly with materials for the week.
My older kids teachers are in constant contact with them as they were not able to login to their teleconferences.

I know that new systems are in place for after YT.

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:02 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I work in a school. They made us claim for unemployment. I hope the parents get a tuition break.

Is there anything set up for the students at all? The teachers are not working at all?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:05 am
cnc wrote:
Is there anything set up for the students at all? The teachers are not working at all?

We sent home work for every day. Then was Yom tov. I’m not sure what they will want us to do after .

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:26 am

Duly noted that many people have NOT lost income in the past 4 weeks.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:32 am
My sons school sent a really nicely worded letter letting parents know that if they need any assistance with their tuition obligation, the school is there for them and please dont hesitate to reach out. They also asked any parents who are not experiencing financial challenges to please help offset a major reduction in cash flow the school is expected to experience. I felt it was really respectful and not pushy.

hello 1

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:33 am
avrahamama wrote:
I called the school secretary to find out if paychecks went out. And then I sent cash so that the school could deposit it immediately and hopefully a good chunk of checks would clear. I wouldn't say rebbe's or teachers get the upper hand. It happens to be that every single one of my children's teacher are working. In some ways harder than before. I may not love the setup. And we even ditch a lot of classes. But I want my children to have a school to go back to.

It's hard. I don't blame the families that can't or don't pay. I understand the other side of the argument. Nobody really wins here.

I really get it all the way around. It's just so hard.

Kol kakavod to you!!
I wish more people would have your sentiments.
If you lost work and can’t pay, then of course discuss it with the school - but if income is coming in and teachers/rebbeim are doing zoom/putting in time with conference calls/calling their students while caring for their own family at home they should be getting paid.
This is not an easy time for anyone.
Iyh this should be over soon.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:42 am

I guess it depends on the school, but most teachers I know are working as hard, or harder, than before.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:03 pm
My son's yeshivah is asking for donations. We gave and gave extra for his Rebbe and the menehel for Pesach. This is more important to us than giving money to the cleaning lady.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:39 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Duly noted that many people have NOT lost income in the past 4 weeks.

Duly noted that 17 million people filed for unemployment this past week. The numbers are staggering, and we can safely assume that many families in our communities are part of that list.

The focus should be on all of the people who have lost their paychecks. Why should teachers & rebbeim, who are only a small segment of our community members, expect special treatment? If they're still working, then they most definitely should get paid. If not, then it depends on their individual circumstances, as is the same with all of society. Is their government assistance for their schools/businesses? Is unemployment an option, etc.?

As for tuition, most institutions now are granting leeway in some form to those who have been financially affected. Schools should do likewise. If people have lost their parnossoh, how can schools expect them to pay tuition, when those families are literally trying to figure out how to get food on the table now.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
We sent home work for every day. Then was Yom tov. I’m not sure what they will want us to do after .

If you are not getting paid you should not be asked to do anything. That is completely taking advantage

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:48 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Duly noted that 17 million people filed for unemployment this past week. The numbers are staggering, and we can safely assume that many families in our communities are part of that list.

The focus should be on all of the people who have lost their paychecks. Why should teachers & rebbeim, who are only a small segment of our community members, expect special treatment? If they're still working, then they most definitely should get paid. If not, then it depends on their individual circumstances, as is the same with all of society. Is their government assistance for their schools/businesses? Is unemployment an option, etc.?

As for tuition, most institutions now are granting leeway in some form to those who have been financially affected. Schools should do likewise. If people have lost their parnossoh, how can schools expect them to pay tuition, when those families are literally trying to figure out how to get food on the table now.

If the teachers are working - and there is money to pay them, they should be paid. What's the question? What special treatment?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics