Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Will women bake Shlissel challah in time for Shabbos this yr
Previous  1  2

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Apr 13 2020, 11:14 pm
vepowi wrote:
I don't sell real chometz, but I sell flour, which is technically not chametz. Putting up challah doesn't take me long personally (I pour yeast, sugar, and warm water into small bowl, dump 5lb bag flour, eggs, oil, and salt in huge bowl, pour yeast water in, and knead by hand with gloves). Takes about 15 minutes to put up dough and almost zero cleanup.

technically store bought flour is chametz.

pizza4

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:46 am
I'm planning to keep my kitchen pesachdik till after shabbos. Dh won't be home motzei yomtov to help, and why stress over putting everything away in one night when it took me a few days to set it up? Well probably buy a challah and be careful with that. Or use matzah.
It'll be like The Longest Pesach!

vepowi

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:01 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

Our minhag is to sell whiskey, and flour does not seem to be more chametz than that.

Good article with basic overview of flour issue.
http://kosherpoint.passroads.c.....metz/

https://www.star-k.org/article.....sach/

gdgirl

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 6:59 am
I believe the reasoning for selling whiskey is that ot is expensive so it would be a financial loss vs flour which is cheap ( for those who don't sell real chometz, typically, although this year some were told davka to sell. )

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 7:11 am
Flour is not chometz gamur. Nor is oatmeal. We sell both, but try to avoid selling pasta and pretzels.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 9:03 am
If I decide to
And leave it for last minute
How many hours do I need to set aside

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 9:08 am
We always sell flour. This year we sold other real chometz, including our yeast. Turning over will happen after havdala, as it always does. No reason for me not to bake!

goodmorning

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:20 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
We always sell flour. This year we sold other real chometz, including our yeast. Turning over will happen after havdala, as it always does. No reason for me not to bake!

For the future, you should know that yeast is not chometz at all. It is a fungus, typically cultivated on plant material, and doesn't contain the five grains. It may even be owned on Pesach, though not consumed.

(The exception to this is a sourdough starter, which is what the Torah calls se'or and is real chometz. Also, brewer's yeast, which is derived from grains, typically barley, during beer production. I'm referring to regular dry/fresh yeast used in regular baking.)

goodmorning

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:21 am
Iymnok wrote:
Flour is not chometz gamur. Nor is oatmeal. We sell both, but try to avoid selling pasta and pretzels.

You may want to ask again about oatmeal. The OU told me that all forms of oatmeal (rolled oats, quick oats, instant oatmeal) are steamed for 12-18 minutes during production and should be considered chometz gamur.

(I did not ask about steel-cut oats and don't know if there is a distinction.)

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 10:49 am
I don't bake l'shem shlissel challah but I do try to bake under these circumstances. We usually manage to get Pesach put away promptly beH. I don't think I have enough yeast in the house. If we eat matzah, we'll be okay. I hope to be able to do some chametz baking.

ladYdI

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 11:18 am
Some women will and some won’t
Don’t let it stress you out please
I do like the idea of bribing everybody with homemade pizza though!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:16 pm
How many hours from beginning to end do I need to allot.
During the year I take my time so it takes a whole day
Also I bake big batches to not have to every week
I usually bake before a Chag and then a few more times a year.

It’s just DH and I on most Shabbosim so I make tons of rolls and it lasts about 2 months 6 rolls per week

Frumme

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
How many hours from beginning to end do I need to allot.
During the year I take my time so it takes a whole day
Also I bake big batches to not have to every week
I usually bake before a Chag and then a few more times a year.

It’s just DH and I on most Shabbosim so I make tons of rolls and it lasts about 2 months 6 rolls per week

If you have time after havdalah, once your pesach kitchen is away, you can quickly put all of your ingredients together, mix until incorporated, stick into an unscented garbage bag tied at the top (not using the red/orange ties, just tying the bag to itself), and let it rise overnight in the fridge. Then in the morning, take it out and let it get to room temperature (1-2 hours usually depending on how warm your home is and how big your batch is), divide/shape, let rise again, and bake as usual.

You don't even really have to knead it initially since time + slow rise in the fridge will do it for you (gluten can develop through time, mechanical intervention, or a combination of both). I'd suggest doing a short knead before you divide and shape since it will help knock out air and make your challah less crumbly.

To be honest though don't force yourself to make a large batch just because it's what you usually do. Making a small batch is fine, too.

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 3:33 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:

according to the OU, flour is not chametz gamur and may be sold. this year, because of the state of emergency, even those people who don't sell chametz were permitted to sell chametz gamur.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen