Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Looking for specific poem about motherhood

ceebee

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:41 pm
I’m trying to google what I’m looking for but it isn’t coming up. Maybe someone here knows. It’s a poem from the child’s perspective about their mother. It starts with the child recalling her mother as a young child, teen and then adult, spanning many years.
The beginning of the poem shows how as a youth, there wasn’t much appreciation for her mother. And as the author gets older and becomes an adult, she becomes more grateful and appreciative. And finally at the end of the poem she wishes her mother was still alive to get her advice.
Anyone know what I’m referring to?

mamma llama

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:46 pm
ceebee wrote:
I’m trying to google what I’m looking for but it isn’t coming up. Maybe someone here knows. It’s a poem from the child’s perspective about their mother. It starts with the child recalling her mother as a young child, teen and then adult, spanning many years.
The beginning of the poem shows how as a youth, there wasn’t much appreciation for her mother. And as the author gets older and becomes an adult, she becomes more grateful and appreciative. And finally at the end of the poem she wishes her mother was still alive to get her advice.
Anyone know what I’m referring to?

Do you mean the poem that goes "My dear Ima, I'm sending this letter to say the things I've never said, of my impressions as your daughter. These thoughts are going through my head..." ?

ceebee

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 9:50 pm
mamma llama wrote:
Do you mean the poem that goes "My dear Ima, I'm sending this letter to say the things I've never said, of my impressions as your daughter. These thoughts are going through my head..." ?

Thanks- thats another nice one but not what I’m searching for. This one isn’t as famous and I’m not sure if the author is Jewish. I think it’s somewhat popular though because I’ve come across it a few times over the years but now can’t find it.

LiLIsraeli

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:08 pm
Are you talking about this?

https://www.chicagotribune.com......html

ceebee

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:23 pm
LiLIsraeli wrote:
Are you talking about this?

https://www.chicagotribune.com......html

Yes! Thank you! I didn’t realize the original is about fathers. When I was in elementary school my teacher gave this poem out and changed it to moms. It’s so meaningful either way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics