Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Fluffy challah recipe for 5 lbs flour

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 9:53 am
Will be kneaded by hand.
And I’m a beginner... so please step by step directions.
Thanks!

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 11:44 am
My recipe is 5lb bag flour, cup oil, 6 eggs, tbs salt in big bowl
Pour 1/4C yeast and 3/4C sugar into 4C warm water. Mix water mixture and let sit for a few minutes until looks dissolved and thick layer of foam growing on top. (I usually do water sugar yeast mixture first, then do flour and other ingredients in big bowl. Takes about 3-4 minutes to take out bowl and put it ingredients, at which point yeast mixture is usually ready.)

Pour yeast water into flour mixture and knead. Cover bowl with moist towel. Preheat oven to 200, then turn off after heated. Put dough in there for 25 minutes. Take out and braid into challahs and egg/put on toppings. Put back in warm oven for hour to rise, then bake.

This is my quick cheating recipe. Would probably be better if I used a better recipe with more patchkeing and steps, and let rise like a mentch instead of cheating with oven, and loaves would probably be nicer if 75% of rising didn't happen after formation, but ain't nobody got time for that.

Other lazy tips: I only use 1 1/4C measuring cup. Fastest to only have 1 thing to clean, for me. I wash out yeast water bowl the second I pour into flour. Takes a second if you do it right away. I use gloves to knead flour. This way no sticky dough stuck to hand. I use big negel vasser type bowl to make challah. Bigger than any of my mixing bowls, and the no ridges makes easier to clean out. Big metal bowl would probably be better.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 11:59 am
Thanks aqua, is that dry yeast?

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks aqua, is that dry yeast?

Yeah. The kind that comes in vacuum packed bricks.

jmom1

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:24 pm
Kosher.com Esty wolbe’s “best challah ever” recipe

hodeez

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:46 pm
I use kosher.com hindys water challah. Comes out amazing and is basically foolproof

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 12:47 pm
I used busy in Brooklyn one bowl challa recipe from her cookbook comes out amazing and is really simple

amother
White

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:26 pm
I found that I get the fluffiest challa when I let the yeast/sugar/water sit and proof for at least 15 minutes & to let the dough rise long enough. 45 minutes before braiding and 45 minutes after.

tweety1

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 2:28 pm
Chef Chaya on Instagram has the best one!

ddmom

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:33 pm
Not sure if you still want it but here is what I do. Easy, no fail recipe.
Mix in large bowl
1/2c sugar
1/2c oil
5Tbsp of dry yeast
3Tbsp of salt
6c of warm water
Add slowly while kneading 1 5lbs bag of flour.
When dough is ready, smear with oil and cover with clean shopping bag. Let rise at least an hour (better 2h!)
Try to shape dough without punching it or flattening.
The least you handle, the more fluffy it will be.
Comes out super delicious!!!
Smear egg on top and seeds (poppy or sesame or both!)
Start baking at 425 for 15 minutes then lower to 350 until done!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note