Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Elderly parent moving in now

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:13 pm
The retirement home where my mother lives just announced they have some positive cases of COVID-19. I found out a few minutes before candle-lighting on Tues. My husband and kids and I talked at length about this over yomtov and decided we would offer to move her in with us for a month or however long is needed for there to be no new cases there. My mother would be very high risk to get coronavirus and have bad complications.
We are all very nervous about this bc she's not an easy person to be around (anger, irritable, early dementia) and she is not frum. so since she has no filter (thank you dementia) she will possibly spout off repeatedly about our 'fanatic" "ultra-Orthodox" lifestyle'"
I don't know exactly why I'm posting, I don't need practical advice (yet) or thoughts on what else we should do instead of move her in with us. Obviously if there were other options we would have gone that route. I think mainly I'm looking for chizzuk and wondering if anyone else is dealing with a similar situation?

Cookiegirl

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:19 pm
You are doing an incredible thing in order to take care of, and protect, your mother. Hopefully, you will have the strength, skill and finesse to navigate the situation well and teach your kids about the great mitzvah of kibbud av v'eim. Hatzlacha rabba!

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 17 2020, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The retirement home where my mother lives just announced they have some positive cases of COVID-19. I found out a few minutes before candle-lighting on Tues. My husband and kids and I talked at length about this over yomtov and decided we would offer to move her in with us for a month or however long is needed for there to be no new cases there. My mother would be very high risk to get coronavirus and have bad complications.
We are all very nervous about this bc she's not an easy person to be around (anger, irritable, early dementia) and she is not frum. so since she has no filter (thank you dementia) she will possibly spout off repeatedly about our 'fanatic" "ultra-Orthodox" lifestyle'"
I don't know exactly why I'm posting, I don't need practical advice (yet) or thoughts on what else we should do instead of move her in with us. Obviously if there were other options we would have gone that route. I think mainly I'm looking for chizzuk and wondering if anyone else is dealing with a similar situation?

I don't have practical advice to offer, but I can lend some moral support. You are doing the right thing, and very possibly saving your mother's life. I'm the first person on this board to admonish anyone who is not following social distancing, but your case is a definite exception. I work in a similar setting to a retirement home, and once the virus is inside, it wreaks havoc and spreads like wildfire. I've watched too many die.

ETA - have you considered a home health aide to assist? They are being meticulously screened, so the possibility of exposure is very limited compared to an entire facility with multiple personnel.

grace413

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 4:53 pm
Kol Hakavod to you. In addition to guarding your mother's health you are teaching your kids about kibud av 'em.

Try to find some time alone for yourself each day.

And if you need to vent we are always here to listen.

thanks

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:13 pm
Can you get an aide?
Look into NHTD (nursing home transition) if you're in NY.
If you post where you're located, someone might know of an agency.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:17 pm
Give her vitamin c and zinc, right away. So if she does have the big her bodyMAY be prepared.

ROFL

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:09 am
You are doing the right thing but it is hard for a person with demintia to live with your family. You are teaching your kids that it is a real kibud em to do this. One thing I found is that I don’t disagree with my mother at all all. If she says something I either deflect or agree with her. There is. I reason for us to have her live on our reality. I tell my kids to go with the flow and live in her reality. For example my mom ask about lighting Shabbat candles. I say soon don’t worry I will tell you when. ( even if it is Sunday )
When she asks about her parents I say they are fine and hanging out on vacation in a sunny place ( they have been dead for many years )
Try to find the response that will make your mother feel better and use that response ! Best of luck to you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics