Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Disposable plates and cutlery for seder night ok?
1  2  3  4  Next

Would you use fancy disposables for seder night?
What's wrong with plastic?  
 88%  [ 133 ]
Are you kidding? Of course not!  
 11%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 150

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:19 pm
I know Pesach is over, but I like to be prepared, so this is for next year...

DH and I had a, uh, conversation, when I decided to buy fancy disposables for first two days of Pesach. He thought that naturally you want to use china at the seder. I was thinking of the fact that the seder is over so late, and I'm already so tired... and the disposables nowadays are just really so nice, so why not make things easier for myself? By DH's reaction, you would think I had suggested to bring pork to the seder...

Anyway, what do you think? Duh, of course china, or - what? What's the big deal with plastic?

I'm curious what the response will be....

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:20 pm
I don't have pesach dishes. I never heard it's an issue to use plastic.

Simple1

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:25 pm
I also don't have Pesach dishes. But it's a matter of personal opinion. I know one of my brothers and his wife would probably feel china is an absolute must have.

Last edited by Simple1 on Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:25 pm
I'm team DH.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:26 pm
We use real dishes. I wouldn't have gone out and bought dishes this year but we inherited some from relatives and they've been sitting in a closet waiting for a chance to be used again. We washed dishes as we went along so there wasn't that much to do at the end of the Seder. I would be less interested in using real dishes if DH didn't help with the washing up though.

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:28 pm
I like to use real dishes.. I use every shabbos so why wouldn't I use for pesach. But one year I had a lot of guests and I was pregnant so I bought beautiful (expensive of course) plastic and it was beautiful my table. It was expensive but I couldn't see myself standing and washing dishes at 3am.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:31 pm
Real is so much nicer than even the best plastic.

paintbrush

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:32 pm
I used the fancy plastic. I think that’s ok for the reasons you mentioned and they look really nice. But I would never use the cheap plastic for the Seder.

chicco

I actually have a nicer set for Pesach than I do for the rest of the year. I also have service for more. It is important to me on the night when the table is to be fit for a king that it as nice as possible. Yes, it is ironic that to be fit for a king, I have to wash more, but it is a labor of love because I see the purpose in it. Also, seder dishes can wait till the morning, or even the next night.

I totally understand why someone would opt for plastic, in which case, it should certainly be nice plastic (imho), but for me, it is important to be extra nice.

Fabulous

I’m the type to use real. But a) didn’t really have bec it’s my first year making although I did buy a small set of real dishes and used for serving b) I splurged and bought really nice plastic with matching napkins and cups and cutlery. Dh likes things shabbosdik but is super on Board with plastic if it makes my life easier. Even for shabbos he didn’t want me to make shlissel challah bec he thought it would be too much. But bh I made and we managed fine

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:33 pm
I have Pesach China. This year I didn’t use them. I usually have sleepover guest (family) that help me a lot while they are visiting. They help wash dishes and clear off as well as set up and prepare . This year it was all on me and I was just at the end of having the virus. I needed to make it as easy as possible for me . Our Seder was absolutely beautiful. I didn’t even notice the lack of pretty dishes. We focused and put an emphasis on the spiritual part of the Seder this year and it was really special.
I do think that since the DH is like a king at the Seder it does make sense to make the Seder have a Royal feel to it with real dishes. But it’s not the end of the world if you use plastic.

Last edited by thunderstorm on Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

paintbrush

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Real is so much nicer than even the best plastic.

I agree I just feel that for the Seder it’s ok to use the nice plastic since it’s over so late, and everyone’s so tired. I choose this area to give myself a break in.

familyfirst

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:34 pm
Your husband has a point
China is nicer
He is welcome to wash them out and put them away after the Seder
Otherwise...
Do as thousands of other homes do and use beautiful plastic. So many nice patterns these days! Some even nice nicer than china!

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:39 pm
I was gonna buy the fancy plastic, but then I found a very pretty set of dishes for $30. I figured I’ll be saving money in the long run and ended up going with real dishes. I was constantly busy washing the dishes though, plastic would’ve been much easier.

mommyhood

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:41 pm
I don't own Pesach China or dishes and I have no intention of ever buying. I enjoy the yontif much more without washing dishes. My parents are a bit horrified but dh is on the same page as me.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:42 pm
As pretty as the plates are - they are garbage at the end of the night, no?

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:46 pm
I care more about myself than my plates. I would rather toss the plates and get sleep. If he wants to do the dishes then he can decide

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:49 pm
Question for those saying real dishes for sure...

Must they be China?

I have two shabbos sets that I use year round while my wedding era China sits in a closet. One is a pretty Corelle, one is a regal looking melamine. Both were relatively inexpensive and more importantly don't break or chip and are light and easy to wash. Would these pass muster or would I might as well use pretty disposables?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:57 pm
This year, I decided to finally buy china since we were less people and thus less dishes to wash, but I didn't want to take extra risk with toiveling them.
I also didn't want to go shopping just for that so like everything else, we had a delivery made. Plain white heavy duty paper plates. My kids were disappointed but we didn't see a reason to make an extra shopping trip over the color of the dishes under the circumstances.
At least we had the nice flatware set that I'd purchase last year.

But actually I was thinking now might be a good time to buy them for next year - though hoping next year in Jerusalem!!

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:00 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Question for those saying real dishes for sure...

Must they be China?

I have two shabbos sets that I use year round while my wedding era China sits in a closet. One is a pretty Corelle, one is a regal looking melamine. Both were relatively inexpensive and more importantly don't break or chip and are light and easy to wash. Would these pass muster or would I might as well use pretty disposables?

שֶׁקֶר הַחֵן.... go with dishes that don't get tossed.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics