Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Cheap laptop/device - big screen - for zoom classes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:28 pm
I think I am going to need to buy a few devices for zoom classes - I don't want my kids to just use a phone & I only have 1 working computer at home for 4 kids, who will be having zoom classes at overlapping times. Anyone know of cheapest devices I can buy with big screen so that kids can see well what teacher is showing/doing?

teachkids

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:31 pm
How big do you need? Your best bet for cheap and simple is probably a chromebook. Be warned though that they're not so simple to filter if that matters to you.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:31 pm
I don't know what you consider cheap in this respect but we bought a Chromebook for distance learning. Our kids have them in school so they were already familiar with the technology which was very helpful.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:41 pm
Thanks so much for your replies. I'll try to search for chromebooks. If anyone bought anything recently & can recommend a specific model, please do. Thanks!

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:02 pm
What about a kindle? Use "freetime" app which can lock everything and only allow the zoom app.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:21 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
What about a kindle? Use "freetime" app which can lock everything and only allow the zoom app.

That sounds quite a bit more than I would know how to handle! Also, aren't kindles small, as I'm looking for something larger - at least 11 inches or something like that so that the kids can see what teachers are showing well.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:02 pm
teachkids wrote:
How big do you need? Your best bet for cheap and simple is probably a chromebook. Be warned though that they're not so simple to filter if that matters to you.

Why is it complicated to filter?
Do you know of a better option if I would want filters?

asmileaday

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:15 pm
The fire tablet 10 has a nice size screen. My kids use the fire 8 to shmooze with friends and it's good enough. A 10 is even bigger.
It's also much cheaper than a chromebook. Buy it on Amazon and return it if it doesn't work out.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:28 pm
If you're in NYC you can get a loaner tablet per student from the DOE. Apply for it online and they'll deliver it to your address.
coronavirus.schools.nyc/RemoteLearningDevices
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics