Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Unemployment after maternity leave NJ

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 7:40 am
Hi Im in NJ and had a baby the beginning of Feb. I filed for temp disability (maternity leave) and for family leave. That will be over this week.
Im unable to go back to work since my kids are at home so l would like to get unemployment benefits. Can I get unemployment straight after family leave?
Does anyone have info on this?

amother
White

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 7:44 am
To my knowledge unemployment isn’t if YOU choose not to return to work (for whatever reason) it’s if they choose not to let you back to work (for whatever reason) If your position still exists I don’t believe you qualify for unemployment

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
To my knowledge unemployment isn’t if YOU choose not to return to work (for whatever reason) it’s if they choose not to let you back to work (for whatever reason) If your position still exists I don’t believe you qualify for unemployment

But if she can't work because her kids are home I think she qualifies. Op, the website had a question like this if I remember correctly on their FAQ. Yes you can get it- just apply. Is your other claim closed?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 8:51 am
Another White: Thank you for your response. I’m well aware of that. My office is having a hard time paying the employees right now so asked many to leave and collect unemployment which is what I would do.
My question is if I am able to file unemployment right after maternity leave or if I need to first return to work for a certain amount of time. Does anyone has info on that? Tia!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
But if she can't work because her kids are home I think she qualifies. Op, the website had a question like this if I remember correctly on their FAQ. Yes you can get it- just apply. Is your other claim closed?

Thanks. My claim will be closed on Friday. So should I try to apply next Monday? What do I write was my last day of work- is it this Friday or is it Jan 30 when I did actual work?

hello12341

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 10:30 am
There is a glitch in the system that isn't allowing the applications to go through if you were just on maternity leave. They just emailed me back that I'll have to file over the phone. Good luck getting through....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:50 pm
hello12341 wrote:
There is a glitch in the system that isn't allowing the applications to go through if you were just on maternity leave. They just emailed me back that I'll have to file over the phone. Good luck getting through....

Thank you for this info. Are you in NJ? Do you have their number?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 1:51 pm
Double post

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 2:03 pm
Hi,
I have the opposite question. My work shut down two weeks before I gave birth. Can I collect unemployment for those 2 weeks and then collect maternity leave?

hello12341

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:03 pm
They only take a limited amount of calls a day. I think to have any chance of talking to someone you need to call at 7:30 am. Once you call later the system says there are too many calls already and you should call back tomorrow. I would advise that you try to file online and see if it works. Take a screenshot of your application so you can prove you tried applying if needed. If it doesn't go through, try to call them. 732-761-2020. Definitely wait till your disability is over before you try.

hello12341

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Hi,
I have the opposite question. My work shut down two weeks before I gave birth. Can I collect unemployment for those 2 weeks and then collect maternity leave?

Yes. You need to file for unemployment. You can then switch the claim to disability during unemployment when it switches.

Right now the requirement that you be able to work is being waived, so you need to find out if its necessary to even switch it to disability. If its not, you might gain more by leaving it as unemployent, because you'll get an extra $600 a week

hello12341

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:06 pm
If you are in NJ call the LRRC for help or questions. They have tons of info on this.
732-942-9292
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics