Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Disposable plates and cutlery for seder night ok?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Would you use fancy disposables for seder night?
What's wrong with plastic?  
 88%  [ 133 ]
Are you kidding? Of course not!  
 11%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 150

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 10:22 am
I made pesach at home for the first time and I used real. It wasnt a big deal were just two people so just takes 5 minutes to wash and dry. my parents have only used real I cant imagine having it any other way.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 10:53 am
Plastic is a bracha. Nice plastic. Not the super fancy expensive ones. I need the money to buy food. Nice clear plates with very pretty napkins, the runner on our pesach tablecloth and nice things on the table... and we had beautiful table. No need to break your back or the bank. (I did splurge a drop and got the nice plastic utensils that look like real- MUCH cheaper than the plates).

I went to bed at 4:15 both nights (mornings?) as it was. The Seder shouldn't be a burden.

Oy, the gashmius expectations these days are just too much.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:16 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
Plastic is a bracha. Nice plastic. Not the super fancy expensive ones. I need the money to buy food. Nice clear plates with very pretty napkins, the runner on our pesach tablecloth and nice things on the table... and we had beautiful table. No need to break your back or the bank. (I did splurge a drop and got the nice plastic utensils that look like real- MUCH cheaper than the plates).

I went to bed at 4:15 both nights (mornings?) as it was. The Seder shouldn't be a burden.

Oy, the gashmius expectations these days are just too much.

Oy, the expectations of doing things the easiest possible way by having disposables these days are just too much.

04.15 did you say? Glad I wasn't present.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 12:58 pm
Thank you all for your answers!

This has turned into such an interesting thread!

Definitely we will have this discussion now when we are both calm and not under pressure. I will bring up some of the points mentioned here. I like the idea of putting the dishes to soak right away and also, of course, that DH helps out with the dishwashing.

Thank you to all that took the time to respond, I really appreciate it!

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 3:34 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I made pesach at home for the first time and I used real. It wasnt a big deal were just two people so just takes 5 minutes to wash and dry. my parents have only used real I cant imagine having it any other way.

Would you feel the same way if you needed to wash dishes for 12 or more people? It takes me an hour after every meal to wash all the dishes, so this year I skipped it.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:32 pm
I personally used cheapest plastic with real silverware, that worked for me

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 5:23 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Oy, the expectations of doing things the easiest possible way by having disposables these days are just too much.

To her, the discussions and back and forth and learning were the most important thing. So the Seder lasted I to the wee hours.

And to you, the most important thing was to eat on nice dishes. So you did.

I certainly understand wanting to set a beautiful table for Yom tov. But my Pesach dishes are ugly, clunky stoneware that I bought at a discount store for $15 for service for 4 when I first got married. Unless I threw them out, which is possible. I use disposables. It makes my life easier one week a year. If you choose not to, kol hakavod. And if you use disposables, kol Hakavod. It doesn’t matter.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 6:49 pm
If the table looks nice I'm okay with either. There are some really, really nice plastic dishes out there. I was looking on Amazon recently and I found some gorgeous plastic plates, I was only disappointed because I wanted them to be real so I could keep them forever lol. This year was our first and highly unprepared year making Pesach so we used disposable for everything, after kashering all of our cookware I decided I was done and we bought disposables for eating on. Next year we'll have Pesach dishes and China but I do enjoy the ease of clean up with disposable but not the waste.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 7:05 pm
I usually use china, but I usually have a housekeeper Confused. This year I set the table with nice plastic, but my teenage son saw and begged me to use china. I told him if he washes it, and he agreed. So we used china for the sedarim and plastic for the rest.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:10 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:

We ended at 3 or 315. But with cleanup and ushering kids to bed and my own bedtime prep, it was 415 when I got to bed.

Expecting easy? I never have cleaning help or buy take out. I don't take the easy way out.

I just think that disposables are a bracha at the right time. Relax, amother.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics