Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Any ideas for quinoa? I bought a case of it
Previous  1  2

ladYdI

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:39 pm
It can be mixed into almost any salad-leafy, Greek or Israeli type
It’s absorbs all the flavors and spices and then it becomes a full one dish meal
Mix into ground meat mixture instead of breadcrumbs when you make meatballs or anything
Use as stuffing with sautéed onions and vegetables for chicken or peppers
You can cook a lot at a time and keep containers in the freezer

rivkam

Post Sat, Apr 18 2020, 11:47 pm
I love quinoa to go with meatballs. The quinoa soaks up the meatball sauce better than rice. So yummy.
I havent made it in ages but I like baked salmon with quinoa and broccoli.
I just make the quinoa plain but obviously you can add whatever spices you like

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:31 am
southernbubby wrote:
Where is that Foodie when we need her? MIA? Who said that she could shirk her duty?

A case? A CASE??! The answer came to me from your very own comment. Duty. Well, I HEARD the word duty and thought, yup, she must be talking about quinoa.... So, question. Did you ever end up with a case of Brussel sprouts? A case of beef liver? A case of kasha? A case of borscht?

Then how in the world did you fing yourself with a case of the q word??!

Firstly, from a health point of view, the average amount of aveiros you get from eating a bug is about as many as his/her/they legs he/she/it has/have/had.

So! Say you ate one teeny weeny bug with 16 adorable buggy legs. Approx 16 aveiros for just that bug.

Say you ate his family along with him? Multiply that number by 100. Say they procreate inside you? Well, I can go on.

A spoon of quinoa has approximately 45 bugs.

Now, I imagine each package has about 200 spoonfuls. Yet somehow, you have a case.

So what you have is 476 trillion bugs in a box.

So your real question is, Yo! Foodie! Stop eating for a second and tell me what to do with a box of 476 trillion bugs.

And I will stop eating my beignets, and I will say, "Bubby! What do you WANT to do with 476 trillion bugs?" Because eating them shouldn't be one of your options, unless you're trying to be an extra on the new Indiana Jones..or...well, I ran out of reasons to eat bugs.

Send them to China. As a return gift from me.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:51 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
A case? A CASE??! The answer came to me from your very own comment. Duty. Well, I HEARD the word duty and thought, yup, she must be talking about quinoa.... So, question. Did you ever end up with a case of Brussel sprouts? A case of beef liver? A case of kasha? A case of borscht?

Then how in the world did you fing yourself with a case of the q word??!

Firstly, from a health point of view, the average amount of aveiros you get from eating a bug is about as many as his/her/they legs he/she/it has/have/had.

So! Say you ate one teeny weeny bug with 16 adorable buggy legs. Approx 16 aveiros for just that bug.

Say you ate his family along with him? Multiply that number by 100. Say they procreate inside you? Well, I can go on.

A spoon of quinoa has approximately 45 bugs.

Now, I imagine each package has about 200 spoonfuls. Yet somehow, you have a case.

So what you have is 476 trillion bugs in a box.

So your real question is, Yo! Foodie! Stop eating for a second and tell me what to do with a box of 476 trillion bugs.

And I will stop eating my beignets, and I will say, "Bubby! What do you WANT to do with 476 trillion bugs?" Because eating them shouldn't be one of your options, unless you're trying to be an extra on the new Indiana Jones..or...well, I ran out of reasons to eat bugs.

Send them to China. As a return gift from me.

Well, at least you finally showed up to voice your opinion.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:57 am
southernbubby wrote:
Well, at least you finally showed up to voice your opinion.

🙄 You're gonna eat bugs, aren't you..

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:02 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
🙄 You're gonna eat bugs, aren't you..

OU: Beware of Booklice in Quinoa

Your serving of quinoa may have booklice insects in them, the OU kosher certification warned and suggests a method to making sure they are properly removed. Full Story

By COLlive reporter

The OU Kosher certification has warned consumers to be aware of certain brands of quinoa which may contain booklice insects.

Some brands of quinoa were recently found to contain booklice, the OU said in a statement, and said they are “looking into this matter.”

Accordingly, quinoa should not be used without a thorough inspection, the OU advised.

The method of checking that has been found to be effective is to pour the quinoa into a thirty mesh sifter and agitate for 30 seconds over a white surface. If any booklice are found on the white surface, the quinoa should be discarded.

Booklice are tiny pests that measure barely longer than 1/16th of an inch. They are brown, white, or grey and have six pairs of legs. Normally they live outside in trees, but they are drawn indoors by damp conditions where they can thrive.

Looks like I am going to be busy Speechless

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:16 am
southernbubby wrote:

Your serving of quinoa may have booklice insects in them, the OU kosher certification warned and suggests a method to making sure they are properly removed. Full Story

By COLlive reporter

The OU Kosher certification has warned consumers to be aware of certain brands of quinoa which may contain booklice insects.

Some brands of quinoa were recently found to contain booklice, the OU said in a statement, and said they are “looking into this matter.”

Accordingly, quinoa should not be used without a thorough inspection, the OU advised.

The method of checking that has been found to be effective is to pour the quinoa into a thirty mesh sifter and agitate for 30 seconds over a white surface. If any booklice are found on the white surface, the quinoa should be discarded.

Booklice are tiny pests that measure barely longer than 1/16th of an inch. They are brown, white, or grey and have six pairs of legs. Normally they live outside in trees, but they are drawn indoors by damp conditions where they can thrive.

Looks like I am going to be busy Speechless

It takes a minute to write a shipping label. Send it to someone else. And they'll have to figure out what to do with a case (!?) of it

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:18 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
It takes a minute to write a shipping label. Send it to someone else. And they'll have to figure out what to do with a case (!?) of it

Great idea!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 10:50 am
Keep it in the fridge or freezer. I've had bulk quinoa get buggy.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 11:27 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Keep it in the fridge or freezer. I've had bulk quinoa get buggy.

It's 12 individual bags of Eden brand with the OK.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 2:35 pm
My favorite is to add it to a spinach salad with strawberries, avocado... etc and a balsamic vinaigrette.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:09 am
Putting it in the freezer is a great idea! Great recipes!
Smart to buy a case -- while hoping some of this is short term we really do not know and best to prepare for more long term

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:13 am
Mix with egg, cheese, veggies, and put into muffin tins and bake.
Someone posted a recipe in the pesach forum once

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:14 am
So we cancelled the case, in order not to aggravate Foodie and DIL just returned from an early morning run to Evergreen with a single package of it which I will check for bugs before trying these awesome ideas!

cbsp

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 5:19 am
shmosmom wrote:
There's this great quinoa salad with roasted vegetables, I think it's in Rivky Kleinman's cookbook. I may be getting her name wrong.
I also prepare layered quinoa salad in Mason jars, I put the dressing on the bottom, quinoa, broccoli, cooked string beans (or raw), roasted peppers, onions for those who want, and mixed greens on top.

FWIW, it's Rivky Kleiman (without the "n"). The cookbook is "Simply Gourmet" - I can find the recipe if anyone is interested.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking