Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Saying Tehillim

How much/how often do you say Tehillim?
A chapter at a time  
 7%  [ 4 ]
By day of the month  
 21%  [ 12 ]
By day of the week  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Only for special requests (illness, parnassah, someone asks you to)  
 52%  [ 30 ]
Only on Rosh Chodesh  
 0%  [ 0 ]
A little before davening from siddur  
 1%  [ 1 ]
At shul when requested  
 0%  [ 0 ]
During down time  
 14%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 57

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:04 pm
What is your minhag in regards to Tehillim? Just curious what is the general norm.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:43 pm
I don't have a "minhag". When my bff was fighting cancer, I joined a tehillim group and said as many as I could each day. When another friend's dh was fighting cancer, I said each day on my way to work the tehillim that are in the Chai Lifeline booklet. Some time ago I tried saying each day of the month the chapters for that day of the hebrew month. That lasted a little while and then I slacked off. this is why I will never claim that I'm "taking on" anything. You do that and it becomes like a tacit neder and then if you backslide you have a problem and may have to do hataras nedarim. Who needs the complications? We have quite enough G-d given obligations and man-made extra obligations , no need to invent more for ourselves.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 4:46 pm
I try my best to say tehillim every day. At least 2 chapters.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 9:55 pm
I try to say Tehillim on shabbos mevarchim (shabbos before Rosh Chodesh), yomim tovim, whenever I need a little chizzuk, and sometimes for special requests.

I really struggle with Tehillim-- not necessarily reading the words, but with having the motivation for it. I just connect with davening much more (maybe because there are tunes for most of it). Tehillim really is beautiful and I would like to add it into my life more. If anyone has any tips.... Very Happy

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Apr 20 2020, 10:06 pm
I don't find saying tehillim or even davening a good way to connect to Hash-m. If the words are too familiar then I find myself saying them by rote and my mind wanders. If the words are unfamiliar then I concentrate on saying them correctly and I don't understand the meaning. I do much better talking to Hash-m in my own words. Therefore I don't say tehillim unless I'm specifically asked and even then I only say a perek or two in the moment. I don't sign up for a regular thing because I know that I won't end up saying it regularly even if I meant to.

missmuffetsmum

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 6:53 am
I complete the sefer for each week of my marriage - which means I try complete it each week, but if I fail I'll catch it up. Usually said in 2-3 sessions on Shabbos.
I took on this kabbala bc my mom has been doing it for 20+ yrs and I was inspired.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 9:49 am
I said it when my mother was sick. The whole family ended up saying the whole thing everyday the way it was split. A couple of months before this outbreak one of my sisters suggested the family whoever wants to join make a tehilim group that we say the whole thing in a week. Since I didn’t have a good reason to say no, I said yes. Now during this outbreak, someone in the family was very sick so we made a tehilim group that the whole sefer is said repeatedly throughout the day. It’s not assigned like the other group we have, only what and when. I still say the other one too because I got used to saying it even though I know everyone is.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 9:58 am
At the very least I say a kapital each day for my DH, myself, and my children. I say the perek that corresponds to the person's age. If I have the time or energy, I'll say more. I go in order when I do "random" tehillim.

The Chida (I think) said, that if a person understood the power of his Tehillim reciting, he would never stop reciting it.

Simple1

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:49 am
I wrote by day of the month. But I wouldn't say it's my minhag. It's something I started around a year ago. I do miss some days, and then make up for it by doing a few days at a time.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:09 am
It's my minhag to say the Tehillim by day of the month (some say by day of the week during a crisis) and the whole Tehillim on Shabbos Mevorchim, plus daily the chapter for ourselves and each of our children.

Unfortunately I'm not yet doing that... (although my kids got me to say the whole Tehillim this past Shabbos!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics