Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Lost my deposit for Pesach hotel program?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:40 pm
How is this fair? I gave a substantial deposit to the hotel program before the pandemic started and now they decided on their own to keep a big portion of it. Is this halachically allowed?

gold2

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 12:44 pm
Speak to a Rav who is knowledgeable in hilchos chosen mishpot, ask him advice and also ask legal advice.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:10 pm
My parents also.
My mom heard the other programs had returned the money. Not sure if that is the case.
Wonder if we could figure out of it is the same program without LH and smearing names.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How is this fair? I gave a substantial deposit to the hotel program before the pandemic started and now they decided on their own to keep a big portion of it. Is this halachically allowed?

Deposit yes. More than that no.
Deposit is for them to invest in setting up the program for you. Like buying, reservations. If program is canceled out of control they still spent the money on what they were supposed to
Most programs don’t have any money left to return anyways so your fighting for what’s not there unfortunately.

Some programs will apply the money to another year.

computergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:46 pm
OP I'm sorry that this happened...but...isn't that kind of the point of a deposit? The company needs money to lay out at the beginning, and they make sure that they have their initial capital by taking your deposit

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:48 pm
Is it fair that they spent 1000s on ffood that spoiled

Is it fair that they paid millions in setting up places for naught

Thats why you always buy travel insurance..one never knows

watergirl

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 1:48 pm
OP, every contract has small print re: the deposit. Did you read yours?

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:12 pm
Travel insurance doesn't cover pandemics. There is a fb group- pesach/passover program reviews where you can find out which programs are refunding based on what guests have said.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:17 pm
Have you tried contacting them? Maybe they would be willing to apply it to next year? I'm sorry this happened to you, it really stinks, especially given the current situation.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:21 pm
All I can say is that our program was super mentchlich, I feel. We had paid in full, and they gave us back every single penny, except, they kept 250 per room. I thought that was super fair. They had so many costs, that they could not ever get back, I thought it was totally fine.
Bottom line, how people/companies behave now will determine what people will do, or not do with them again, once this is all over.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
All I can say is that our program was super mentchlich, I feel. We had paid in full, and they gave us back every single penny, except, they kept 250 per room. I thought that was super fair. They had so many costs, that they could not ever get back, I thought it was totally fine.
Bottom line, how people/companies behave now will determine what people will do, or not do with them again, once this is all over.

I was also blown away buy how well it was handled. They kept 30% of the deposit. Can be applied to next year. Communicated so nicely also, in touch all along.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:35 pm
We paid in full so far we got back about 70% they did say they plan on refunding the remaining 30% this week

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 4:59 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
We paid in full so far we got back about 70% they did say they plan on refunding the remaining 30% this week

So happy for you, but wondering about the program directors/owners. Did they get a bailout for all the money they laid out? Not to mention that this was probably supposed to be their parnassah for half the year...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics