Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you have life insurance?
1  2  Next

Do you and/or your husband have life insurance (with you/husband as beneficiary)?
Yes, we both have.  
 57%  [ 33 ]
Yes, one of us has.  
 22%  [ 13 ]
No, neither of us have, it's too expensive.  
 7%  [ 4 ]
No, neither of us have, we never got around to it/thought of it.  
 10%  [ 6 ]
Other, explain below.  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 57

hardwrknmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 1:19 pm
Do you woman think it's important to have?

I know the Rebbe mentioned that it's a Segulah for long life. something along those lines??

P.S. Ive got my own opnion just curious to see what others say.

queenie

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 5:14 pm
Yes, it can be important for a woman to have. Everyone's situation is different. I work for a company so it's included in my deductions from my pay. Who is the major breadwinner in the family? What happens if the wife stops working? Who pays the funeral costs?

Both me and my DH work for companies that include life insurance. I pay the basic but his is maxed out. Meaning, he pays the highest premium and he gets the highest amount payable when the time comes. But that also includes disability too, not just death.

many people underestimate having a policy. The costs incurred at time of death can be huge and what about expenses after? People should also have a will so that bank accounts are frozen and you have access to your own money and the estate doesn't go probate. You should have it filed with the law association.

Motek

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 6:00 pm
hardwrknmom wrote:
I know the Rebbe mentioned that it's a Segulah for long life. something along those lines??

never heard this so how about a source before quoting the Rebbe on it

roza

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 6:48 pm
Motek, this is where the L. Rebbe talked about it:

Quote:
Life Insurance Salesman
by Rabbi Dovid Shraga Polter

Published and copyright © by Sichos In English

The Talmud[10] relates that a great teacher once called out "Who is the man who desires life?"[11] When a crowd was drawn to him, he added the next verse in Psalms,[12] from which he had been quoting: "Guard your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from speaking falsehood."

There is one profession which takes the opposite approach, focusing on what will happen if a person does not live long. This is the life insurance salesman. It is a difficult profession, which involves the unpleasant task of reminding people of their morbidity. Most people would rather plan for life than the opposite.

(A story is told of a man who wanted to write a will leaving an extremely large sum of money to an institution after his death. He asked the Rebbe Rashab how he should proceed and the Rebbe answered that he would do better to plan on living a long life and derive pleasure from seeing the charity have the benefit of his gift immediately.)

What motivates a person to become an insurance agent? The need to make a living, of course. Otherwise, the agent would not disturb the other person by reminding him of unpleasant eventualities. However, the agent believes that he has powers of persuasion which can be used to generate sales.

Of course, it is in the best interests of the life insurance company that the buyer of the policy lives for a very long time, since the company is only obliged to begin payment after the customer's death; if the customer is blessed with longevity, both the company and the purchaser of the policy will be happy. The focus on an opposite outcome is all talk, but hopefully will not actually come about. The salesman discusses death only as much as necessary to convince the purchaser to agree to the monthly payments.

These same principles apply in the relationship between body and soul. There are two approaches. The mussar approach is to engage in fasting and penance to "kill" the animal soul of man with physical self-deprivation, fasting, and focusing on his mortality.

The second, more preferable approach is similar to the life insurance salesman. His recollection that he will not live forever is only momentary and remains just in speech. It only serves the purpose of extracting the "payments," the cooperation of the body in the performance of the commandments.

This second approach recognizes the preciousness of the Jewish body and the importance of maintaining its health for long and good years, just as the insurance company wants to see its clients' long life.

Sicha of 12 Tammuz, 5711 - Toras Menachem, Vol. III, p. 188ff.

http://www.sichosinenglish.org.....1.htm

Motek

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 7:02 pm
thanks, interesting lesson to learn from it, but it doesn't promote life insurance!

as far as segulas go, writing a will is said to be a segula for long life

(also, being referred to as having died is said to be a segula for long life, like when a certain publication published an article and referred to someone as no longer being alive, but it turned out they were alive, in a later issue the publication wrote a Correction and quoted this line, that it's a segula for long life - though I wonder whether somebody made this up somewhere along the way to appease a person who was horrified when he heard that he had been referred to as dead!)

proudmom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 7:07 pm
I heard if a person buys their tomb stone it is also a segulah for long life.

roza

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 9:01 pm
Motek wrote:
but it doesn't promote life insurance!

live insurance ppl will daven for you, so that you will have a long life Mr. Green that's a point.

queen

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 12:20 pm
never realized that women got life insurance?!!!!

in our family, the men once they get married get it. May it never have to be used.

technic

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 1:14 pm
roza LOL LOL LOL (ur a v funny lady)....pple should also make a will and think abt their kids if (cv) they needed 2 b brought up by someone else - its hard 2 think abt (I cried when we made our wills Crying ) but at least u know that what u want is down on paper...

queenie

Post Thu, Jul 28 2005, 2:54 pm
Well, as soon as my first was born we wrote our wills. NO, I didn't cry, it was a very matter of fact thing. I would cry if something happened and we didn't have one.

Everyone in my family has a will. But, not in my husband's family. I know there are going to be serious problems when my in laws die. My husband, I love him but he is a complete push over
and he has very pushy siblings. I am not willing to fight with them but I can see big problems in the future and the in laws absolutely refuse to write a will.

The questions shouldn't be do women need life insurance but to what age should you have life insurance. First off, if you are going to buy it you should start before age 30. It will be considerable cheaper if you start younger. If a person starts a plan at age 30 or 31 he will pay a lot more a month that a 35 yr old person who started a plan at age 28.

How long should you have life insurance? when you are retired at age 65 do you still need it? when the house was all paid for and we were finished school and there was money in the bank my father stopped his plan.

PinkandYellow

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 2:39 pm
Do you have life insurance (with you/husband as beneficiary)?
(I know we had a thread on this in the past, I'm kind of interested in numbers and new pov).

merged with original and kept your poll - mod

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 3:09 pm
YEs, we both have life insurance. It's a necessity for every family with kids. We have more on Dh then me since he brings in the primary income.

newmom

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 3:26 pm
Many people don't realize that it's important to have insurance on the wife as well, because the $ would be needed to pay for household help.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 4:24 pm
We just took care of it last week. I don't think it was so much more to insure both of us.

Marion

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 4:40 pm
We have the mandatory policy for our mortgage, which names the bank as the primary beneficiary. Then I have a policy through my job, naming DS as primary beneficiary. If ch'v something were to happen before he reaches age of majority, he's still the beneficiary, but DH is the trustee.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 6:04 pm
You only need insurance if you have dependents. Don't forget about disability insurance, too.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 6:44 pm
We asked a rov and he suggested it.
So we've had policies for ourselves since my oldest (now just about 3) was a few months old. It's not an extremely large amount, but I feel we're doing our part. Keep in mind, we're a kollel family B"H.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2007, 8:23 pm
my father passed away recently, and boruch hashem he had life insurance... I cant imagine after everything my mother went through that she would have to feel like she was collecting tzedaka bec. she has no husband.

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 1:39 am
Quote:
How long should you have life insurance? when you are retired at age 65 do you still need it? when the house was all paid for and we were finished school and there was money in the bank my father stopped his plan.

my fil (a"h) didn't have any $$ in the bank so maybe its diff. but on his 1st yartzeit, 2 mths after we were married, we had to dish out over $1000 just for his matzeiva (headstone), and that was the cheapest. so you want to be sure there is $$ for the funeral and assoc expenses, regardless of the age.

also, what about plans for who will take your kids if, G-d forbid, both die young? do you think thats too much planning? have you discussed it with dh? did you have trouble deciding on s/o? is finances a consideration? like I wanted a certain fam member, but I can't imagine adding to her financial burden unless I had a huge life ins policy to help out.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 02 2007, 12:39 pm
I believe life insurance is very improtant for both spouses. That being said I don't have and neither does my husband, as cheap as it is, I simply don't have the money for it, right now.

I think it is important to discuss and have things written down about what would happen to your kids, but L'maiseh it is a very scary thing to have to discuss.

Thanx MD mom, I consider it a big compliment. B"EH you will never need it. Besides, don't you know with our big move we will be hitting it rich Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics