Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Loss of taste and smell 4+ weeks

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:39 am
I lost taste and smell 4 1/2 weeks ago. Anyone else experiencing the same? Is there anything to do to get it back sooner?

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:42 am
I hear that taking Zinc helps but I have no personal experience.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:43 am
Same! Had coronavirus 4 weeks ago and never got my full sense of smell back. I can smell but not as strongly as before.

clowny

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I lost taste and smell 4 1/2 weeks ago. Anyone else experiencing the same? Is there anything to do to get it back sooner?

Dh and dd experiencing the same. It’s almost 5 weeks.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:19 am
Same. More than 5 weeks. My doctor has me taking 100mg of zinc a day. I am praying it will return.

ETA BH I have my strength back for 3 weeks.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:36 am
Wow! I got mine back really fast and remember thinking, I'd rather have got my energy back. And two weeks later, I still have a way to go. But I can't imagine going for a month like that - hugs - but at least you're finding out it's normal.
Hope everyone has a refuah shleima, quickly!

here2chill

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 11:57 am
Zinc has helped me get back my taste n smell BH. But you gotta take a good quality one. I took ionic zinc concentrate from the company Good State. You can order from them directly. I took 90-100mg daily. Like abt 30mg 3xday.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:34 pm
got corona around 2 months ago still cant smell the only thing I can smell is perfume!anyone else in this situation ? and toothpaste taste so bad its hard to brush my teeth

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:41 pm
My sister in law still can’t smell anything since mid-March

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 12:47 pm
Some insight is starting to become available about this phenomenon. Read this article in its entirety, it's very informative.

https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-6

The horrible smell/taste is referenced (see quote below).

"Some coronavirus patients may start to regain their sense of smell as their olfactory neurons regenerate over the course weeks or months. These patients often develop "parosmia" — a distorted sense of smell — as they recover, which can turn otherwise pleasant aromas into foul odors like chemicals or burning."

There is olfactory training (smell/taste therapy) to regain sense of smell by Dr. Zara Patel, assistant professor of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery at Stanford University. It is simple and done twice a day for 1 minute, for 4 months.

momlife

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:31 pm
I lost my smell in March and just starting to get it back now.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 1:57 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
got corona around 2 months ago still cant smell the only thing I can smell is perfume!anyone else in this situation ? and toothpaste taste so bad its hard to brush my teeth

I B"H got most of my smell and taste back, but a few things taste awful to me, and one of them is anything minty. My toothpaste tastes awful. (so does wine, gefilte fish, and some things with fried onions.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics