Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I feel like disconnecting my landline

tweety1

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:37 pm
Basically the only phone calls I'm getting is spam. Yes I'm on the do not call list. Apparently it's not working. I keep on blocking these numbers but there are so many of them. I'm going crazy. Anybody with me??

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:38 pm
Yes! And most of them yell and scream which makes it even worse!

Stars

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:39 pm
Fun fact: I get these calls on my cellphone. Shut the ringer but keep the line.

Einikel

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:40 pm
With all the segulos offered you would think coronavirus would be dead by now!

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 11:55 pm
When I tried to disconnect, it was more expensive for internet/cable as the 3x package is cheaper because the government gives money for the landlines to keep them available and accessible for safety in emergencies.
If you unplug the jack, it will not ring.

nanny24/7

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 12:15 am
Stars wrote:
Fun fact: I get these calls on my cellphone. Shut the ringer but keep the line.

This.
If you ever get your hands on a fax machine or any printer that also has a fax function (most do) this is a fabulous resource to have for many things. Leave phone ringer off and use for outgoing calls only. You can block your ID if you want by dialing *67 (in the U.S.) in case you don't trust certain people to remember not to call you on that number.
Holding a landline cordless phone is way more convenient while doing other things around the house (and probably healthier too then constant cell phone waves), plus many times the connection is clearer so you can hear each other much better.
And yes I feel you about the spam.
I noticed though that when I am meticulous about blocking every single spam number each time, that it gets quiet for a while. I assume many of the same spammers keep spoofing different numbers so when they see I always block them instantly, maybe they leave me alone for a while?
Good luck!

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 12:44 am
Does your provider allow you to only allow certain calls? We got so many spam calls when we moved and got a new number but our provider lets you select who you allow calls from basically. On our online account I can "approve" certain numbers to go through and the rest go to voicemail. The only people who have our landline number are family so if it doesn't ring more than once I know it's not important. As annoying as it is a landline is good to have for emergencies, when you call on a landline your address automatically will populate for dispatchers.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 1:56 am
DID YOU HEAR? THERE'S A CREAM THAT HEALS CORONA!

Ugh.

Fortunately/unfortunately, the kids are tying up the phone line so many hours that the ridiculous calls don't drive me crazy all day.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:00 am
I wont give up my landline for anything. If there's a power outage, once your battery goes you're up a creek if you have only cell phones. The power for phone lines is separate from regular power so landlines still work during most power outages. How you gonna call 911 if your phone dies and your power is out? And did you know that 911 can trace a landline call if you can't tell them where you are, but they can't do so for a cell phone call?

Scam calls are an annoyance but meh. if I'm near the phone with caller id and don't recognize the number, I don't pick up. If I'm near the phone without caller id, if I say hello and there's a pause, I hang up. That delay is because the call is a recording and it allows a certain time lapse for you to pick up and say hello before it launches into its spiel. If I say hello and it sounds like a recorded message, I hang up. if it's a live fundraiser, (Hi, my name is Chani and I'm calling for the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Chevra Kadisha of Yeshiva Zichron Meilech Tomchei Ezras Bikur Cholim V'Hatzolas Ysomim v'Nechim d'Napoli) I cut them off at the pass by saying I -don't -pledge -over -the -phone-have -a -good -day, and hang up without waiting for their response (rude, yes, but if you so much as pause to breathe they'll give you an argument. I KNOW I'm not pledging, so why waste Chani's time and mine? Let her go on to the next victim, err, prospect.)

Sometimes I listen just for entertainment to see what they'll say, and sometimes, if feeling frisky, will ask a pointed question or give a smart-aleck response. Like when the guy says 'I'm calling from your phone company," I'll say "sorry, I don't have a phone" and hang up. (cracking myself up just thinking about it.) Last time it was a guy "from your pharmaceutical insurance plan" who was going to "explain your expanded benefits." I asked him which insurance plan was that? he repeated "Ma'am, I'm calling about the expanded benefits of your pharmaceutical insurance plan." "Yes, I understand, but exactly which pharmaceutical plan would that be?" He hung up on me. Hahahahahahahaha!

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:16 am
zaq wrote:
I wont give up my landline for anything. If there's a power outage, once your battery goes you're up a creek if you have only cell phones. The power for phone lines is separate from regular power so landlines still work during most power outages. How you gonna call 911 if your phone dies and your power is out? And did you know that 911 can trace a landline call if you can't tell them where you are, but they can't do so for a cell phone call?

Scam calls are an annoyance but meh. if I'm near the phone with caller id and don't recognize the number, I don't pick up. If I'm near the phone without caller id, if I say hello and there's a pause, I hang up. That delay is because the call is a recording and it allows a certain time lapse for you to pick up and say hello before it launches into its spiel. If I say hello and it sounds like a recorded message, I hang up. if it's a live fundraiser, (Hi, my name is Chani and I'm calling for the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Chevra Kadisha of Yeshiva Zichron Meilech Tomchei Ezras Bikur Cholim V'Hatzolas Ysomim v'Nechim d'Napoli) I cut them off at the pass by saying I -don't -pledge -over -the -phone-have -a -good -day, and hang up without waiting for their response (rude, yes, but if you so much as pause to breathe they'll give you an argument. I KNOW I'm not pledging, so why waste Chani's time and mine? Let her go on to the next victim, err, prospect.)

Sometimes I listen just for entertainment to see what they'll say, and sometimes, if feeling frisky, will ask a pointed question or give a smart-aleck response. Like when the guy says 'I'm calling from your phone company," I'll say "sorry, I don't have a phone" and hang up. (cracking myself up just thinking about it.) Last time it was a guy "from your pharmaceutical insurance plan" who was going to "explain your expanded benefits." I asked him which insurance plan was that? he repeated "Ma'am, I'm calling about the expanded benefits of your pharmaceutical insurance plan." "Yes, I understand, but exactly which pharmaceutical plan would that be?" He hung up on me. Hahahahahahahaha!

Omg. That's absolutely hysterical!

One time my coworker came into my office and asked me to follow the phone guys instructions for the computer for a moment. He played along for a bit. And then the guy on the phone got insulted that his time was wasted.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 12:41 pm
Zaq I love doing that to- they get mad & hang up on me. Haha, a taste of their own medicine...
Like for car insurance- which model car. Oh, it’s a cozy coop.
Year you were born? 1789
Etc...

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:59 pm
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Zaq I love doing that to- they get mad & hang up on me. Haha, a taste of their own medicine...
Like for car insurance- which model car. Oh, it’s a cozy coop.
Year you were born? 1789
Etc...

This game I played a few times. But these calls stopped. It's the recordings from zichron Meir, zichron devosha etc etc. Or "don't hang up the phone" is how they start.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 4:58 pm
I have an answering machine and don't pick up the phone if I dont recognize the number. Also, if you have verizon, the word SPAM appears before a robocall.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:15 pm
Simple. I dont answer my landline. Everyone calls my cell phone. Landline came free with the internet so thats the only reason I have it.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:20 pm
tweety1 wrote:
This game I played a few times. But these calls stopped. It's the recordings from zichron Meir, zichron devosha etc etc. Or "don't hang up the phone" is how they start.

Those I saved to call block & it’s still a pain bec it rings once so you head to fetch the phone (maybe the dr is finally calling back?) and they also keep on calling from different numbers. But it definitely helps for a while. Now due to Covid it’s of course exploded bec they all have the answers...

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:20 pm
I think if u dial 911 from you’re cell they can’t tell where u live
In a landline they can tell where u live
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics