Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Favorite books for preschool

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:48 am
What are your favorite read-aloud books for preschoolers?
I am specifically looking for Jewish themed books that would be appropriate/not offensive for non-religious families as well as religious families that I could read online to my students.

bigsis144

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:26 pm
Apparently “Is it Shabbos Yet?” is very polarizing, but I love it.

(Some people are all “the mommy does all the work and the father just sits down to a beautiful Shabbos meal! How unfeminist!”, others just find the repetitious style annoying. You can search for the thread on imamother if you want a taste of the controversy, LOL)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:30 pm
I forgot about that one. I do like it :-)

bigsis144

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:33 pm
I like “The Secret of the Leaves” by Esther van Handel. I believe it’s published by artscroll, it’s pretty old.

Another old book is “Yedidya and the Esrog Tree”.

The Mimi and Simi books are good too

tigerwife

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:40 pm
The Yossi and Laibel books.
Some other Dina Rosenfeld books like the young Patriarch series.
There’s this old book about Berel Bear and the guests and cholent (“plippity plop into the pot”), anyone remember the title?
There is another book about “When I am a Mommy” that I thought was adorable, though I am uncertain about the title.

enneamom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:42 pm
Dina-Dee series

trixx

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 12:52 pm
Any of the hachai books are on point. Lots of generic topics like tzedaka, chanukah, middos

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 1:31 pm
tigerwife wrote:
There’s this old book about Berel Bear and the guests and cholent (“plippity plop into the pot”), anyone remember the title?
There is another book about “When I am a Mommy” that I thought was adorable, though I am uncertain about the title.

https://www.amazon.com/Surpris.....65120

And The Menchkins, The Menchkins Make Friends, The Menchkins Make Shabbos.
The Amazing Fishing Rod (which is a great educational tool; compare and contrast to The Menchkins Make Friends ;-D)

LOTS of Hachai books.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:10 pm
Thanks all !

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:35 pm
We got some nice ones from PJ library when my kids were little. Some I had to toss but others were great and most definitely selected for secular appeal. Some I remember:

Sara finds a mitzvah
The Shabbat box
Sadie and Ori - it's a series

raich

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:42 pm
We really love the book called "Here Comes Shabbos." Gorgeous illustrations, cute rhyme that the kids can chime in with at the end of each paragraph, and really transmits the feeling of anticipating Shabbos. Might just be my all time favorite kids' book.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 5:55 pm
Love the book "manny in a pickle"
By:Sari Grunwald

Bout a grown up who still throws tantrums

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 6:04 pm
tigerwife wrote:

I think the bear book was called 'Dovi and the surprise guests', but I could be wrong.
The 'when I am a mommy'-if that's the one about Kayla and all the rules she's not going to impose when she's an adult-my dd loves that one, then that's the title.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I think the bear book was called 'Dovi and the surprise guests', but I could be wrong.
The 'when I am a mommy'-if that's the one about Kayla and all the rules she's not going to impose when she's an adult-my dd loves that one, then that's the title.

Is this When I Am a Mommy by Dishy Schiffman? There's also a boy's one, When I Am an Abba.

Ooh, I also liked Around the Shabbos Table by Seryl Berman.

My books are more pre1A first grade.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics