Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Cant decide . Can u vote for me if yes or no?
Previous  1  2

Hillery

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:49 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
This isn't a documentary nor is it attempting to be anything other than one woman's *fictionalized* story.

I find it a bit strange that people are quibbling so much about whether or not details are completely accurate. Anyone with any familiarity with ANY kind of lifestyle or profession knows that a movie or television series doesn't get every detail right.

This is part of a comment I wrote in another thread:
imagine if there was a show about blacks or Asians or Muslims, and they were portrayed in this kind of cartoonish, stereotypical way, would that not offend your sensibilities?

I dare say all the liberals would be up in arms at this racist show, that mocks and denigrates whichever minority it would be depicting. Nobody would care that all these stereotypes do sometimes occur.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....11205

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:53 pm
Hillery wrote:
This is part of a comment I wrote in another thread:
imagine if there was a show about blacks or Asians or Muslims, and they were portrayed in this kind of cartoonish, stereotypical way, would that not offend your sensibilities?

I dare say all the liberals would be up in arms at this racist show, that mocks and denigrates whichever minority it would be depicting. Nobody would care that all these stereotypes do sometimes occur.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....11205

Hillery: for me this was not mocking in a cartoonish way- for me a lot of this was unfortunately real. So it’s not offending my sensibilities. Rather it hurts that people won’t acknowledge that even in its exaggeration, for some of us this may be real.

Hillery

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:57 pm
Sure there are extremes, and you'll probably find similar examples of every shocking thing irl, albeit slightly toned down. But when a series is an amalgam of every stereotype, shown in its most extreme and rare form, that's the definition of a caricature.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Apr 21 2020, 10:59 pm
Hillery wrote:
Sure there are extremes, and you'll probably find similar examples of every shocking thing irl, albeit slightly toned down. But when a series is an amalgam of every stereotype, shown in its most extreme and rare form, that's the definition of a caricature.

I’m a caricature then it seems.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 12:11 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I’m a caricature then it seems.

Are you the author of unorthodox?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:27 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Are you the author of unorthodox?

No but I am an amalgam of every stereotype

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 2:35 am
No but I am an amalgam of every stereotype

Perhaps you "over identify" with too many stereotypes?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 3:38 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Perhaps you "over identify" with too many stereotypes?

I guess I’m just imagining... seeing similarities where there are none...
sorry- I am not delusional- there is truth for some of us watching the series. Many things that happened to her happened to me as well. I dare say that I’m not the only one

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:06 am
I guess I’m just imagining... seeing similarities where there are none...
sorry- I am not delusional- there is truth for some of us watching the series. Many things that happened to her happened to me as well. I dare say that I’m not the only one

I'm sorry. I hope you find healing.

I didnt say you are delusional but an amalgam sounded like a joke kinda....

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 10:21 am
I watched it.
I regret it very much!!! Sad
Just don't!!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep thinking to watch the movie from unorthodox (df) im just scared it will make me angry . Is it worth it or not? Do u find it interesting , intertaining or not? Whats everyone's perspective? Will it just add unnecessary bad feelings to watch? I can see it will make me angry and wanna shout out loud.

I read the book and it is nothing more than a lashon hara filled diatribe from an OTD, angry and vengeful individual. I choose not to watch it. No good can come of it.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 12:39 pm
Hillery: for me this was not mocking in a cartoonish way- for me a lot of this was unfortunately real. So it’s not offending my sensibilities. Rather it hurts that people won’t acknowledge that even in its exaggeration, for some of us this may be real.

And you need the world, along with all the non Jews to see it, buy all of it and have an even worse opinion of Jews than they did before?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 12:44 pm
Cheiny wrote:
And you need the world, along with all the non Jews to see it, buy all of it and have an even worse opinion of Jews than they did before?

Gosh no!!! I have nothing to do with the production of this awful thing! I just get upset that people won’t acknowledge that while yes, it’s grossly exaggerated, there may be some truth under it all. And that while yes, our way of life is beautiful- perhaps there are some things that aren’t - that’s all!

Hillery

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:19 pm
Gosh no!!! I have nothing to do with the production of this awful thing! I just get upset that people won’t acknowledge that while yes, it’s grossly exaggerated, there may be some truth under it all. And that while yes, our way of life is beautiful- perhaps there are some things that aren’t - that’s all!

But that makes all the difference! You could lose a few lbs vs. you're grossly obese, you're a bit of a stickler vs. you're crazy and compulsive, and so on.

Case in point, there may be some truth that some kallas find shaving difficult, but the way it was portrayed wasn't even an exaggeration, it was an outright lie. Portraying it truthfully would have been telling a human story, instead it was just a vile caricature intended to denigrate.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:23 pm
Hillery wrote:
But that makes all the difference! You could lose a few lbs vs. you're grossly obese, you're a bit of a stickler vs. you're crazy and compulsive, and so on.

Case in point, there may be some truth that some kallas find shaving difficult, but the way it was portrayed wasn't even an exaggeration, it was an outright lie. Portraying it truthfully would have been telling a human story, instead it was just a vile caricature intended to denigrate.

It was not an outright lie for me.

Hillery

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:37 pm
It was not an outright lie for me.

Really? Your hair was cut by your MIL in front of an audience?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:47 pm
Hillery wrote:
Really? Your hair was cut by your MIL in front of an audience?

This is really a tough and hurtful conversation for me.
It wasn’t exactly the same of course! but many things were similar: and if not exactly similar, hurtful in its own way. Look- I see the beauty in our community but I won’t deny that at the same time there are issues.

I’m bowing out. This hurts. Please be kind in your rebuttal.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Apr 22 2020, 5:51 pm
I started watching it but felt guilty. I don't want to support this kind of production.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Apr 23 2020, 11:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I keep thinking to watch the movie from unorthodox (df) im just scared it will make me angry . Is it worth it or not? Do u find it interesting , intertaining or not? Whats everyone's perspective? Will it just add unnecessary bad feelings to watch? I can see it will make me angry and wanna shout out loud.

What's the name of the documentary
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics