Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Kosher Grab n Go at Bnos Yisroel
Previous  1  2

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 8:28 am
Since it is such a money maker, why don't they deliver the food to individual houses, they would then "get" more people in the program and there would be no long lines. I went to Bnos more than once and drove away because of the long lines!

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Since it is such a money maker, why don't they deliver the food to individual houses, they would then "get" more people in the program and there would be no long lines. I went to Bnos more than once and drove away because of the long lines!

They make money based on the volume of food they supply. The actual cost per meal is relatively low but the small profit multiplied by the number of meals adds up. This is especially true because the food vendor knows exactly what to order and is guaranteed those sales. With a standard restaurant there is much more waste because the restaurant owner needs to gamble that people will come and order what they have in stock.

Delivery to each home adds much more expense and isn't built into the cost of actually providing the meals since the food vendor's contract is to provide X number of meals to a particular school location.

I don't know how the finances work in terms of schools giving food out to anyone who asks for it outside of the free food that New York City is doing since New York City is paying for the food. New York City is already set up to provide free food for all school children - even in the summer - so expanding the grab and go program for all during the pandemic was relatively easy to implement even though it is obviously costing New York a lot of money - but money well spent (IMO) so that people in dire financial straits don't starve.

I would be interested in how private schools who are giving food to anyone who comes in unlimited quantities are funding their food handouts. It's a wonderful thing (again IMO) but is it being funded by food subsidies they get from the government or is it funded by new donations? Again, I think it's great to feed hungry people but just wondering how they are managing to fund the food.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
The government. The schools make a fortune on this program. they give $2 worth of food and bill about $8 per lunch.

Bnos Yisroel yesterday gave 2 slices of pizza per kid, French fries, a tray with pareve cholent and a kugel muffin. That's more than $2

amother
White

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bnos Yisroel yesterday gave 2 slices of pizza per kid, French fries, a tray with pareve cholent and a kugel muffin. That's more than $2

I was approximately the 15th person on line yesterday. They gave 1 slice per child. And a family size fries to share.

The cholent and kugel was a separate lunch that was supposed to be for today.

They also gave a half gallon of milk, half gallon of OJ and a fresh pinapple.

Again this was 2 lunches.

Somebody else can figure out the math how much this cost.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:12 pm
For the woman who asked about where to get food sunday for several days... Veretzky today had milk, cheese, chummus, bread, cereal... Supposed to be for 2 days lunches. But you can also try food pantries like masbia

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
They make money based on the volume of food they supply. The actual cost per meal is relatively low but the small profit multiplied by the number of meals adds up. This is especially true because the food vendor knows exactly what to order and is guaranteed those sales. With a standard restaurant there is much more waste because the restaurant owner needs to gamble that people will come and order what they have in stock.

Delivery to each home adds much more expense and isn't built into the cost of actually providing the meals since the food vendor's contract is to provide X number of meals to a particular school location.

I don't know how the finances work in terms of schools giving food out to anyone who asks for it outside of the free food that New York City is doing since New York City is paying for the food. New York City is already set up to provide free food for all school children - even in the summer - so expanding the grab and go program for all during the pandemic was relatively easy to implement even though it is obviously costing New York a lot of money - but money well spent (IMO) so that people in dire financial straits don't starve.

I would be interested in how private schools who are giving food to anyone who comes in unlimited quantities are funding their food handouts. It's a wonderful thing (again IMO) but is it being funded by food subsidies they get from the government or is it funded by new donations? Again, I think it's great to feed hungry people but just wondering how they are managing to fund the food.

Schools need to keep a count of how many meals they distributed each day . They get reimbursed accordingly.

sbs

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:33 pm
just curious, it's advertised for pickup on thursday for thursday, friday, shabbos
just wondering if they give shabbos food, or is it just regular lunches x3
can someone post if they went today what they got?
thank you
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries