Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
What will happen to the other viruses?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 4:28 pm
I wonder if with all this social distancing there will be other viruses that will die out due to lack of hosts?
What about bacterial infections like strep? If they can't spread, is it possible that they too could disappear?
No one is claiming that Covid 19 will die out from social distancing, but there are other less contagious infections out there,with shorter incubation periods, would they just peter out?

Just wondering....

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 4:45 pm
That's an interesting question.
BH my kids have been so much healthier because they haven't been to school and in contact with others! We had been hit so hard by a bunch of illnesses during the last few months that they were in school before social isolation and now during social distancing BH no one has been sick!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 5:35 am
I’m in Australia so we are just going into winter and the numbers of ppl with seasonal flu are way down compared to this time other years.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 3:36 pm
It's a nice idea, but viral infections have existed through thousands of years of humanity, and most of the time the population density has been much lower than it is now. The current social distancing may produce a temporary drop in the number of infections, but I doubt it will have any long term effect.

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 4:21 pm
I was wondering if lice populations were down since all the schools were closed.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 4:24 pm
Elfrida wrote:
It's a nice idea, but viral infections have existed through thousands of years of humanity, and most of the time the population density has been much lower than it is now. The current social distancing may produce a temporary drop in the number of infections, but I doubt it will have any long term effect.

Agreed. I think that as soon as things get back to normal, it will be "common illness" as usual.

DD did not go to any day care or preschool because she was allergic to the Pertussis vaccine. When she started kindergarten she (and I) were sick as dogs, and she was out of school far more than she was in it.

Before school, she had never been sick a day in her life. Not even an ear infection. Once she started school she brought home every germ and virus known to mankind, and generously shared them with me! She had 5 separate cases of strep, a stomach flu, a few colds, and then strep again.

B'H, we got her tonsils out that summer before first grade, and the strep disappeared. On top of that, her colds and flues only lasted a day or two, instead of weeks at a time.

Long story short, don't count on anything going away. Kids are walking petri dishes. Confused

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 8:52 pm
Sounds cool, but I doubt the common illnesses will go away.
Think about way way back to the nomads. Each tribe was basically in their own "quarantine bubble". And I'm sure each tribe got strep or whatever viral/bacterial infections there were those days anyway.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 9:41 pm
strep is part of our microbiome, it's not going away anytime soon

lots of viruses live dormant inside our immune and nervous system cells and can reactivate at any time and reinfect naive hosts

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:19 pm
DrMom wrote:
I was wondering if lice populations were down since all the schools were closed.

Pinworm comes to mind Smile

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:21 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
strep is part of our microbiome, it's not going away anytime soon

lots of viruses live dormant inside our immune and nervous system cells and can reactivate at any time and reinfect naive hosts

That's interesting - so someone who had say mumps and is cured, could be the cause of infection in someone else who is not immune?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics