Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cholent MEAT

queen

Post Thu, Jul 07 2005, 11:55 pm
Curious which meats you all use for your cholent?

I usually buy 'cholent meat' but a large part of what I'm paying for is bone.... which I know adds flavor, but I'm looking for meat my company can eat!

(Also, does anyone use 'sweet breads?')

sarahd

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 4:43 am
queen wrote:
Curious which meats you all use for your cholent?

I usually use flanken, but I use very little meat anyhow - just to add flavor...but it adds a very good flavor!

Quote:
(Also, does anyone use 'sweet breads?')

In chulent?????

My mother makes sweetbreads for very special occasions. If you want a recipe....cut the sweetbreads while frozen into bite size chunks. Saute onions and when they're soft and still white add the sweetbreads and a can of mushrooms (to stretch the sweetbreads, since they're so expensive.) When all is cooked, add a white sauce and cook up again. Don't forget the salt and pepper. I love sweetbreads; they're probably my favorite meat.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 7:33 am
I use nabater cholent meat, but I find a piece that doesn't have a single one in it. I look silly inspecting all the packages, but hey, I want to get what I paid for! I also use gizzards sometimes and marrow bones.

Realmom

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 8:56 am
I use some flanken and stewing beef. the beef has no bones.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 9:32 am
It depends on the mood for me. I sometimes use cholent meat, flanken or beef cheeks or chicken.

When I do chicken I just put veggies on the bottom and the chicken on top with the water only covering the veggies and the skin is on the chicken. everything get spices. When I serve it I serve the chicken on a plate and veggies in a bowl. This way once in a while we have hot food just not sloppy cholent.

Yael

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 11:35 am
I use stewing veal. I like it better than the beef since its softer.

Rochel Leah

Post Fri, Jul 08 2005, 1:59 pm
I use stewing beef. Yael, I am going to try the veal, cuz I get minced veal instead of beef to use for meetballs and things. and I like that much better than beef.

de_goldy

Post Sat, Jul 09 2005, 10:51 am
We use 'cheek' meet. I don't know if it has a name cuz they don't sell it in the butchers here but since my husband is a shochet... ;-) It's so soft, everyone loves it!

myomi

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 6:43 pm
I use stewing beef and beef bones as well as smoked meat chunks,my husband loves it!also sometimes put hotdog pieces in.
when I make dafina,a morrocan version of cholent I put flanken and cheek.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 9:30 pm
this week I used my cholent meat and marech bones as usual, but I also added turkey necks which have a lot of meat and flavor, too. it came out really good.

stem

Post Wed, Jul 20 2005, 9:32 pm
when I lived in baltimore there was a really good meat called kalky that I used for cholent. I think it's called something else in other cities.

kutiepie

Post Wed, Jul 27 2005, 10:49 pm
my grandmother a'h used flanken and knee bones and marrow bones. she also used tons of fresh garlic and sauteed onions. to top it all off she put in some smoked meat like a chunk of pastrami or smoked salami. No one was ever dissappointed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen