Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Trying to Get Work Done at Home

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 9:48 pm
I have a HUGE work project deadline on Monday.
I can't get anything done with husband and kids around! I've always worked from home, and in the past when I had a deadline I'd leave and got to the library or a cafe so no one would be bother me. Obviously all are closed now.
My home "office" is simply a small space in the corner of the family room in the basement. It's ok for small work assignments that don't require too much concentration.
With my major projects I need quiet and no interruptions.

But with everyone coming and
going all day long it's impossible to get things done. Our dairy kitchen, hangout area and a full bath is there, so everyone wants access to the area.

I tried to get husband and older kids to help with younger ones, but they all have work and school, and just aren't much help right now.

How have any of you handled working from home with everyone around? What have you found that helps?

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 9:50 pm
I’m doing this now every day.
I have older kids make school for younger kids. Or take on walks.

But really when I have to concentrate I’ve been doing it at night. Last week I got more work done 11-1am then I did the entire day.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:03 pm
I know alot of people who have taken to working in their cars

DrMom

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:06 pm
Work shifts with your DH until Monday. Work in another room (bedroom) and lock the door, and put on white noise (there are even white noise tracks on YouTube).

It's hard.

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:09 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I know alot of people who have taken to working in their cars

I can’t do that bec all my work is on a desktop.
But DH goes to his car to prepare a daily shiur and says it’s the only peace his brain has ( Ppl saw him walking into house with Gemara and accuse him of coming back from a shul. )

amother
White

Post Sat, Apr 25 2020, 10:10 pm
I'll be honest, I only work 32 hrs/wk, more like 28 now.

When I locked myself in my room 6 hours total ( 3hr+ 3hr with a 1 hr break between) ot was a mess in the house.

Now I wake up 1.5 hrs before my littlest kids that need attention. I go to sleep 2 hours after they do, even on Sunday and Motzei Shabbos.
If necessary, I put them in front of a video 2 hrs, about 2x a week. No housework/ cooking during this time, just work. I daven, cook, clean, play, check messages, etc. only when the kids are up and noisy.

I do computer work next to the child who needs supervision during her 2 hours of teleconferences, while they're on speaker.

I moved my team's weekly zoom to 930pm Monday when littles are in bed.

I actually felt better this past week, now that I realize it's not just me....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics