Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
SD laws in NYC private house
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 5:42 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
My personal problem is not with chasunas before Purim when no one knew. I am not asking why our numbers are high, which is simple to explain.

It's why are we ignoring rules once they're in place.

I don't care about subways and parks. I am not going to travel on the subway or go to parks in middle of a pandemic. But if the front of my house is full of kids at all hours playing together, I can't have my kids get a safe daily exercise walk.

I care about the optics and chilul Hashem when religion is used as an excuse for illegal or unsafe behavior.

It annoys me when people point to other groups who are just as bad. Well, we're supposed to be better, if I'm to believe my seminary teacher. Why compare myself to others?

The kids playing outside your house have been doing it for about 5 weeks now and are not exposed to anyone else so if no one got sick yet then they presumably (and hopefully) wont get sick now. The people hanging out in the park are being exposed to other people hanging out in the park and then going back home so they are carrying germs everywhere with them. That is worrysome since there is no way to know who they are being exposed to so they can still get sick. Yet somehow the cops are not doing anything about the people hanging out in the parks so that is problematic but also shows that the cops are indeed anti-Semitic if they pick on Jews (who are categorized as "white" and supposedly not affected disproportionately anyway or so the story goes).

I just hope that you are no longer in seminary and are old enough to understand that Jews are human beings who strive to do better than others but sometimes fail just like humans are prone to do. This is a very hard time for everyone so please have some patience for your fellow Jews and treat them with kindness instead of the judgmental harshness you have been treating them until now as you are obligated to be kind and "better" than others as your seminary teacher taught you (that applied to you, not others).

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 6:23 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Because the city is allowing the subway and public transportation to run. They also are allowing public parks to be open. They know what's going on there but they don't seem to care.
Who are you comparing yourself to? Those people made their decision and you get to make your decision. You could always put up a barrier if you don't want people on your property. Stop being so busy with what other people are doing.

I think only big parks. There is a park right across the street from my house, and all the entrances are locked.
As to why people are concerned about what other do, it’s because it doesn’t only affect them.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Apr 24 2020, 6:28 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Also, you'll want to get a glimpse of the packed subway cars in New York, during rush hour.

It's unbelievable that the Chareidi neighborhoods keep getting blamed for everything. The only reason the "Jewish" neighborhoods were very hard hit in the beginning is because Purim there was no shut down or social distancing yet. Also the month before Purim is packed with weddings and again at that time NOBODY including all these people criticizing everybody, were taking the virus seriously yet.
Some people are really bored and then there are those who just need a scapegoat.

RE the packed subway cars, keep in mind that (I believe) service has been drastically cut, so more people are being forced to travel at the same time....it’s a little silly, but at the same time it makes sense.

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:05 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I think only big parks. There is a park right across the street from my house, and all the entrances are locked.
As to why people are concerned about what other do, it’s because it doesn’t only affect them.

In NYC, parks are open, but playgrounds are closed. So if the park across from you is primarily play equipment, swings, etc., it’s closed. If it’s primarily open space, playing fields, etc, it’s open. AIUI.

They’ve also removed the rims from basketball courts.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 8:21 am
SixOfWands wrote:
In NYC, parks are open, but playgrounds are closed. So if the park across from you is primarily play equipment, swings, etc., it’s closed. If it’s primarily open space, playing fields, etc, it’s open. AIUI.

They’ve also removed the rims from basketball courts.

Yes, exactly. I’m not used to using different names, to me they are all called parks.
Interesting about the rims, I’m going to go check today. I didn’t notice that last week. Them again I think wasn’t specifically looking.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics