Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Beginner romance novel ideas?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:56 pm
I want to start reading romance novels, nothing too explicit.
Any suggestions?

singleagain

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:57 pm
I really love the shopaholic books. They have romantic plot. But nothing explicit.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 2:58 pm
I’m a major enthusiast:

The older stuff from Nora Roberts
Susan Mallory
Jill shalvis
Catherine Anderson
Julie garwood
Donna Kauffman
Lauren layne has a great new series out
Linda Howard

Some could have a few pages that you might want to skip but not a ton usually

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:50 pm
Almost all nowadays are inappropriate. Try Beety Neels. She wrote formulaic Cinderella stories that are sweet and very clean (no more than a kiss or two). I was surprised to find some reissues of them at my local Walmart last week.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:56 pm
Maybe Georgette Heyer if you like historical? My friend reads Amish ones that are clean if that's okay with you.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:57 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I’m a major enthusiast:

Susan Mallory
Jill shalvis
Catherine Anderson
Julie garwood
Donna Kauffman
Linda Howard

From my experience, all those authors all have explicit scenes, yes not tons and it doesn't take over the book, but they are there. If you're not bothered by the occasional scene and will just skip it, then yes they're all great authors. Also Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Jayne Anne Krentz, Susan Wiggs, Sherryl Woods and Judith MacNaught!

Is there a particular genre you'd like/prefer-regency, modern, fantasy etc?

For no bedroom scenes altogether, I would try Debbie Macomber, Jill Mansell, Mariah Stewart-I know I have more just can't think now, will try and post later

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:59 pm
Thanks!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 4:04 pm
Wow, seeing that this was posted in Writing Club, I thought OP was looking for suggestions to begin writing romance novels. Oh well...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 5:44 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I’m a major enthusiast:

Susan Mallory
Jill shalvis
Catherine Anderson
Julie garwood
Donna Kauffman
Linda Howard

Specific nora Roberts to recommend?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 7:42 pm
Do you have any books you enjoyed so I can get an idea of the types of books you enjoy?
Nora Roberts has quite a range of books. She has several fantasy series, contemporary etc.
I always liked her Chesapeake Bay series-first book is seaswept, then rising tides, inner harbor and chesapeake blue. Also the Garden trilogy (does revolve slightly around ghosts). And the Dream trilogy.
The Inns Boonboro was also another nicer trilogy. I'm assuming you want gentle.
Born In trilogy, O'Hurleys, The Macgregor family series, the stanilslowski family series....
On the fantasy side-the key trilogy, Donvan legacy
A lot of her early stuff is more short stories but personally I always found them very mills and boon-not as much a fully fleshed out storyline.
But considering she's written several hundred books, well there's a lot to choose from.
I wouldn't suggest you touch many of her standalones-the thrillers from 1990s through 2010 were very graphic-serial killer etc and I wasn't so keen.
I would read the blurbs of different series and pick those you like the sound of.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 8:01 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Wow, seeing that this was posted in Writing Club, I thought OP was looking for suggestions to begin writing romance novels. Oh well...

OMG. I am slow on the take. I kept reading OP as starting to "write" romance novels and thought everyone was giving book ideas for inspiration! Laugh

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 8:12 pm
I second the Inner Harbor Series and Inn Boonsboro for Nora Roberts. I think there's probably a relations scene in each but it's pretty mild/you can skip if you're bothered. I also liked the Brides. Some of her other books are a little too fantasy-centered for me.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 8:25 pm
Woman meets man who is her boss.

Woman hates man and thinks he is an arrogant jerk, even though he is really cute.

Man hates woman and thinks she is a brat, even though she is really cute.

They have a bunch of spats.

Then the woman is in danger and the man rescues her.

They fall in love and live happily ever after.

That is the plot of 90% of romance novels. LOL

margal

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 8:40 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Woman hates man and thinks he is an arrogant jerk, even though he is really cute.

Rolling Laughter

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 10:37 pm
Nora Roberts 'the witness' is great, as well as the bride quartet series. As a previous poster said, a lot of her older stuff is good. Keep in mind she has two genres: shorter more romantic stories, which are kinda chic flicky; and her more involved suspense stories that also have a romantic aspect.

I also like Linda Howard but only her older stuff. Mackenzie's mountain, Duncan's wife, drop dead gorgeous, to die for. Those are romance and the last two are funny, too. She also had suspense thrillers with more involved plots but that also have romance: now you see her, all the Queen's men, open season, kill and tell, dying to please.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 4:41 pm
Really enjoyed nora roberts:
Bride quartet
Inn boonsboro
What should I read now?
Thanks.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 4:45 pm
Lauren layne also has a wedding Planning series that’s very good

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really enjoyed nora roberts:
Bride quartet
Inn boonsboro
What should I read now?
Thanks.

Are you looking specifically for more Nora Roberts or do you want other authors similar to those particular series?
Nora Roberts-look at her 'Born In' trilogy, 'Garden' trilogy, the chesapeake quartet-think it was rising tides the first, the Irish trilogy-first being tears of the moon (I think) All her trilogy ones are good although some are more fantasy like the key trilogy and I can't remember the others.

Other authors I like for series of small town life are Sherryl Woods, Mariah Stewart(her chesapeake series more), Debbie Macomber, RayeAnne Thayne, Emily March, Susan Wiggs(her contemporary ones)-and I'm sure if I think a bit more, I will find some more. I like these series as you return to the same town, but with other characters. The last 4 authors I think were more suitable, Debbie Macomber for instance has no bedroom scenes.

BTW for really great romance books read Judith MacNaught. I love all her books and wish she'd write more. They do have some bedroom scenes though.
Susan Elizabeth Phillips has an excellent quirky touch, again with some scenes. Also love Jayne Ann Krentz.

I can go on and on-can you tell I'm a bookworm?(who is reading another book instead of tidying the kitchen Hiding )

yonabets

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 6:03 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Lol LOL LOL

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:05 pm
I also really really like Julie garwood. I especially like her historicals. Her dialogue and characters are amazing
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club