Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Message from Frum Orlando ER Doctor
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:05 pm
Urgent message from Orlando ER Physician to anyone thinking of driving down to Central Florida for Pesach...

While we typically love the influx of 20k+ Jews to the Orlando area to celebrate Pesach, please know this is currently a horrible idea. Many people think central florida is solely a tourist town and has a small population and a large health care system. We have a population of over 8 million people in Central Florida.

While we have great hospitals, we are already admitting CoVid patients to the ICUs, and some of them are suprisingly young (just like in Washington State and NYC). While your governor in NYC has started the process of stock piling medical supplies such as ventilators, and has pushed the federal government to help out, ours seems to be a bit behind the 8 ball. Please keep in mind if you come down here in the thousands to celebrate pesach together, like it seems you are planning to do, you will overrun our already stretched health care system and we will not be able to take care of you.

WE HAVE ALSO NOT YET HIT THE SURGE YOU HAVE HIT IN NYC. THIS WILL LIKELY HAPPEN IN THE NEXT 7-10 DAYS. YOU WILL BE COMING HERE AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME JUST AS WE START TO GET SLAMMED WITH SICKER AND SICKER PATIENTS.

This will also become a situation of "those jews who couldnt listen" aka a huge chillul Hashem.

Do what the rest of us are doing and stay home.

I also urge all Rebbeim to issue a psak to their communites that members not travel for Pesach. You will all end up in FL and some of you will die and any deaths related to the running out of beds or ventilators will be on you to answer to HKBK

Chag Pesach kasher Vesame’ach

Your friendly local ER Doctor

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:07 pm
Thank you for sharing the letter.
It is an important message which everyone needs to hear.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:30 am
if u fly to florida from ny or nj you have to be quarantee for two weeks or you can be arrested
even if you go to family

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:53 am
B

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 5:39 am
I wholeheartedly agree with his message, but find it strange that he wouldn't sign his name if this letter is indeed legit.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:16 pm
I hear that travel to Orlando is already allowed?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 26 2020, 3:21 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I hear that travel to Orlando is already allowed?

I’m not sure but you should ask if you are allowed to use the Mikvah

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:32 pm
So now its okay to go to Orlando but for Pesach it wasn’t?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:36 pm
Yes. They just ask you to quarantine for 14 days at checkpoint. Private Airbnb's are open with some restrictions to resort locations.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:40 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Yes. They just ask you to quarantine for 14 days at checkpoint. Private Airbnb's are open with some restrictions to resort locations.

How are you going shopping? Are they getting their pots delivered before?

notshanarishona

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:41 pm
Something being legally ok does not make it halachickally or morally ok.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:43 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
How are you going shopping? Are they getting their pots delivered before?

I heard of a small family that flew down to orlando with 2 weeks worth of double wrapped meals and planning to stay put the whole time... said the food was the most expensive part..

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

What's a difference where they quarantine? Easier when you have where to step outdoors, in your private property. Add in a pool

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:45 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Morally? I know two people that went and rented large private villas. They are coming from 2 bedroom Brooklyn apartments and couldnt do it anymore, one with 5 children and one with three . They are fully quarantined (separately) in a private house, and brought food. how does that affect anyone ? You sound jealous.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:45 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Every situation is unique but when things that could be halachically and morally ok are not legal, whats a human trying to survive gonna do. Im happy for those, myself included, that bH have what it takes to survive the lockdown physically and emotionally, so far.. but judging others is more often than not halachically and morally wrong. Live and let live Banging head

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:48 pm
I’m really amazed so many people can afford this now. Good for them I guess.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:49 pm
Lakewood Scoop on instagram had a video on Friday that was deleted quickly of a house having a minyan in Orlando. There were many golf carts and cars parked outside.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Morally? I know two people that went and rented large private villas. They are coming from 2 bedroom Brooklyn apartments and couldnt do it anymore, one with 5 children and one with three . They are fully quarantined (separately) in a private house, and brought food. how does that affect anyone ? You sound jealous.

How did they get there ? Flying would mean infecting everyone on the plane and they cant possibly drive for so long without stopping at rest areas to use the bathroom...

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 8:57 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I heard of a small family that flew down to orlando with 2 weeks worth of double wrapped meals and planning to stay put the whole time... said the food was the most expensive part..

Guess they didn't fly in a private plane then...only way to stay isolated completely...If we are being completely honest and realistic.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I’m really amazed so many people can afford this now. Good for them I guess.

I said the same thing with so many people going everyday to pick up free meals for their kids and stand online for hours
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics