Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Cheapest vegetables
Previous  1  2

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 3:23 am
It really depends on where you live. Different vegatables are in season in different places, and some do or don't need to be checked according to season and/or where you are and where the veggies are from.

I only buy frozen for what really can't be checked here. I don't buy canned often either.
I like the feeling that what I have in my freezer are things that I've put there. I check herbs, cook veggies, and in general have a freezer full of healthy stuff- but it does take time, and you might not have that time, or enjoy it like I do.

Just go into your grocery and see what's on sale, then buy it and find a recipe.

malki2

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 5:34 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Could you name some poskim? I know some who say that strawberries can be used if pureed. (Don't act on this.) Some things, like raspberries, are impossible.

Anything can be used if pureed. This is because it is only problematic to eat a small bug if it is whole. So if you don’t see them in the first place, and then puree, you are covered. Regarding what was said about using all frozen vegetables, I definitely don’t think this applies to something like broccoli, which can be full of bugs, and how do you wash frozen broccoli florets to get the bugs out? And regarding price issues, generally string beans are $1.50 or so per bag. I guess I’m lucky that my kids like those. There’s also the traditional peas and carrots, but my kids won’t go for those.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 5:49 am
malki2 wrote:
Anything can be used if pureed. This is because it is only problematic to eat a small bug if it is whole. So if you don’t see them in the first place, and then puree, you are covered.

Yes, but if you definitely know they're there, mashing them up isn't enough.

simkele

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:35 am
Button (white) mushrooms are usually cheap and just require washing and visually checking a few, you can also find frozen (I think without hashgacha if no added ingredients but ask your LOR) or canned

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:40 am
My mushrooms were full of bugs two weeks ago. I feel like never eating a mushroom again. No doubt I'll reach some degree of equilibrium in a few weeks. (Its that or completely rearrange my Shavuot menu!)

simkele

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:59 am
Elfrida wrote:
My mushrooms were full of bugs two weeks ago. I feel like never eating a mushroom again. No doubt I'll reach some degree of equilibrium in a few weeks. (Its that or completely rearrange my Shavuot menu!)

Oy Elfrida I'm sorry (And wish I didn't read your post, I love mushrooms Surprised )

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 1:34 pm
You're not as sorry as I was!

But I'm sorry the post put you off mushrooms as well. Just check them carefully.

Simcha36

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:39 am
interestingly, food with zero nutritional value (nosh, cookies) are priced low.
Good nutrients costs more in the US.
Yes, it does cost to feed your family with wholesome diet. My neighbour got an extra job for buying vegtables. teaching a few extra hours, specifically for veggies, in her words.

Frozen Bodek is a luxury. Nice for Yom Tov, when on sale, or for ppl with no budget concerns.

Fresh items cheaper, some need checking (romaine spinach - inexpensive) can buy soak w soap, use special screen to test water and a magnifying glass/ zoom in phone to check screen. a little work - but worth it! fresh and delicous

Some items need less to no checking. string beans, yams, butternut squash, and more.

Make sure to include colorful veggies in your menu. It doesnt have to be expensive frozn bags.

I heard safradim rabbonim saying frozne bags are sprayed w chemicals when grown to repel bugs, and there were potentially bad stuff in spray - fresh always better!

never heard of halachic opinion that if you puree or freeze first- dead bugs are ok. check with a reliable rav! I dont think it would pass.

berriesandtea

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 4:35 pm
I don’t know where you live, but try finding local produce markets or places like ShopRite to buy produce. For vegetable that don’t need checking, string beans, snow peas, peppers, eggplants, zucchini (yellow, green, and baby), mushrooms, cucumbers, kohlrabi, colorful carrots, celery, avocado, tomatoes, pearl onions, parsnips, radishes, white asparagus, shallots, spaghetti squash, rutabaga, alfalfa sprouts and scallions are all good options. Carrots, parsnips, and rutabagas are all good options in place of roasted potatoes and they are non-starchy.
For vegetables that require some checking, green asparagus, cauliflower, cabbage, romaine, spinach, and fennel are all possible to check if you have the time.
There are also variation available of each vegetable depending on different times of the year. Purple and orange cauliflower is usually available in late summer and early fall, colorful carrots in fall and winter, rainbow radishes in most seasons, purple asparagus is available on occasion in the spring and summer, and heirloom tomatoes are available all year round.
I mainly eat a vegetable based diet so if you need recipes or ideas feel free to message me!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains