Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is anyone Toiveling dishes in BP during Covid19? I read here

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 2:03 pm
Is anyone Toiveling dishes in BP during Covid19? I read here that toiveling now isnt a good idea.

I want to buy a microwave safe dish (for microwaving rice) and I prefer to buy glass.

Where in BP would I toivel it?

Do all glass dishes need Toiveling?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is anyone Toiveling dishes in BP during Covid19? I read here that toiveling now isnt a good idea.

I want to buy a microwave safe dish (for microwaving rice) and I prefer to buy glass.

Where in BP would I toivel it?

Do all glass dishes need Toiveling?

There are hardware stores that have a mikvah inside their store. Those should be safe to use. I wouldn't use a mikvah outside Landau's or Goldberg's Grocery that is open to the public.

lilies

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 2:15 pm
Please explain why toiveling a dish in a mikvah open to the public, and then washing it well, isn't safe?
I don't get it.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 3:49 pm
Nor me. Keilim mikvas aren't hygienic at the best of times, and I always wash the dishes with soap and water and allow them to dry before using them.

If the mikva was inside, and potentially crowded like on erev Pesach I could see the logic, but as long as there is space to distance, I really don't understand.

The virus is inactivated in water, with or without chlorine. If you want, there is no halacha that says you can't wear gloves. The dish has to be in the water, not you. (If you do wear gloves, bear in mind that they are very slippery when wet, and be careful to hold the dish very well.)

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 5:12 pm
Anyone know where I can toivel in Monsey? I usually use bais tefillah on maple wood lane. Anyone know if it’s open?

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 5:33 pm
Ask your rav about glass. There are different opinions about whether it needs toiveling (hence us not saying a brachah on it.) Even if you hold that we toivel it, you may be able to rely on the other opinions in the current situation. There is also a way to sell the kli to a [gentile] until toiveling is safer, but I believe that for glass many say you can use it without.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 8:04 pm
Buy it in a store that has a Mikva and wash it well when you get home
All houseware, hardware store have a mikveh

bobeli

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 8:09 pm
If you buy in a store that has mikva the store person usually toivels it for you, this makes it les of a risk.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 8:22 pm
Go to Coney Island beach to toivel

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:12 pm
There are heterim now for a reason. You can buy glass now and use it, with plans to toivel later. Get the deets and enjoy your needed dishes.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:49 pm
ra_mom wrote:
There are heterim now for a reason. You can buy glass now and use it, with plans to toivel later. Get the deets and enjoy your needed dishes.

The heterim that I saw said that they were in effect until Pesach, because many people were making Yom Tov for the first time at the last minute and couldn't tovel the things they bought. I realize many keilim mikvaos are still closed, but are there any published heterim that say they're still in effect indefinitely?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:15 am
OP, I toiveled my Pesach dishes before the chag. Mikve is public,in open air and open all the time. I didn't even even use cloves but I did had a mask. People kept more than 2 meter distance. Water was heavily smelling from chemicals and there was a sign from the rabbanim that you must wash dishes with soap and water at home before use cause the water contains chlorine and extra disinfectants due to corona.

I live in EY, Bene Berak.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:34 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:

All houseware, hardware store have a mikveh

This may be true where you live, but there's a big world out there beyond the borders of bnei brak, lakewood and williamsburg.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen