Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Houston,TX

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 1:21 pm
Hi, we are Yeshivish out of town type. Is there a place for us in Houston, TX? Is there a girls HS?
I am ok with everyone being different, and raise my kids to appreciate all types, I just dont want my kids to be the odd ones out (we dont watch movies, we wear socks, I dont wear nail polish) I have health reasons that I would be interested in the warmer climate, and Dallas and LA are way more expensive. Any Ima's on this forum that live there, or have accurate info?
TIA!

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:30 pm
There is a HS for girls, but I believe it's on the smaller side: http://www.tgatexas.org/

Dallas has a larger school called Mesorah.

There are definitely OOT yeshivish types there who don't watch movies. I don't know how many ladies there b'shita won't wear nail polish though. There are kollel families, but the school is much more mixed than an in-town BY.

The north eiruv in Dallas is much more affordable than the south eiruv. I would also recommend looking into options there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 3:48 pm
[quote="doctorima"
The north eiruv in Dallas is much more affordable than the south eiruv. I would also recommend looking into options there.[/quote]

What shuls are in this eiruv? Do all types live in all areas?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 1:55 pm
I have the opposite question, and I'm hoping to get more thoughts on this.

We've heard that the Young Israel Houston quite black hat, and that it's possibly the most right-wing YI in the country.

We're MO, and we're wondering if we'd fit in with this community.

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 1:59 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I have the opposite question, and I'm hoping to get more thoughts on this.

We've heard that the Young Israel Houston quite black hat, and that it's possibly the most right-wing YI in the country.

We're MO, and we're wondering if we'd fit in with this community.

There’s definitely a modern orthodox community in Houston. Is that what you are asking?

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:01 pm
To op, maybe Henderson, Nevada would be a good option for you

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:07 pm
tichellady wrote:
There’s definitely a modern orthodox community in Houston. Is that what you are asking?

Not really, we're specifically interested in the Fondren community, where the Young Israel Houston is the main shul. I'm trying to find out how many MO types are in that community, and how accepting the more black hat types would be of us.

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 2:40 pm
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Not really, we're specifically interested in the Fondren community, where the Young Israel Houston is the main shul. I'm trying to find out how many MO types are in that community, and how accepting the more black hat types would be of us.

Sorry can’t help with that

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 3:18 pm
It's true that there is a large "black hat" contingency in the YI community but there are definitely a nice mix of families too.
When you say MO what do you mean? Are you looking for a co-ed school? Do you wear a sheitel? Do you wear pants?
If you give me a little more specifics about yourself I can maybe help you see if you'll be comfortable here.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 4:28 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
It's true that there is a large "black hat" contingency in the YI community but there are definitely a nice mix of families too.
When you say MO what do you mean? Are you looking for a co-ed school? Do you wear a sheitel? Do you wear pants?
If you give me a little more specifics about yourself I can maybe help you see if you'll be comfortable here.

By MO.... We're SS/SK. I cover my hair and dress tzniut in shul and at Jewish events, but not during the week. Husband doesn't wear a white shirt, talit kattan, etc. We have a TV, but avoid pop culture. We have a dog. We're BTs not from NY/NJ, and don't speak the yeshivish lingo.

We don't have school age kids yet, so not exactly sure what we're looking for in terms of schools. We'd probably end up at the TYE school if were moved to Houston, and not sure our kids would be accepted. The Beren academy probably seems a little too left for us; don't like the idea of sending our kids to a school with a lot of non-observant kids.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 4:50 pm
So I'll be very honest and say that I'm not sure you'd be comfortable here. Even the families that are probably on the more modern Orthodox spectrum all of the wives cover their hair even during the week. They may just wear a hat, but always some type of hair covering. The TV and the dog would not be issues at all. Those are completely normal here.
As far as the school, YTE, the parent body is a little more diverse than the community. There are some families (not many, but a few) that send there that are not from the neighborhood, that the mothers don't cover their hair, wear pants...
The school is not very selective in who they accept. I don't see that being an issue at all.
I would strongly suggest you come visit and feel it out for yourself

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 4:53 pm
DH's colored shirts and the TV won't exclude you from the YI. Depending on what you mean by you not dressing tzniut during the week, that may put you in a minority where you'd feel uncomfortable. I don't think most of the families there have pets, but the dog doesn't concern me as much as your dress style during the week.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 7:26 pm
Thanks to the last two posters, and I appreciate the honesty. Would the yeshivish types eat at our house for shabbat meals? Let their kids play with our kids?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 8:41 pm
Many will let their kids play with your kids (though some may not), but if you wear pants and short sleeves and don't cover your hair during the week, I think most will not feel comfortable being your Shabbos guests.

They'll still be friendly to you in shul and will gladly invite you to their homes, and you will also find less yeshivish families in shul that will be more comfortable eating at your home. And if you're willing to dress more like the community norms, your husband's shirts and TV and dog won't be issues, as I said above.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Sep 15 2020, 10:12 pm
There are lots of ppl here with pets and TV’s. I don’t agree that ppl wouldn’t eat at your house. Aside from the most religious ppl here, most ppl would be okay eating at your house as long as you keep kashrut. As for your kids fitting in to YTE, I don’t see an issue there either. I strongly encourage you to visit to help make your decision
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating