Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Help! Skipped the sugar in the dough!

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:26 am
Surprised Surprised

Huge 7 lb dough is rising on the counter! The cup of sugar that was meant to be poured into machine is sitting prettily nearby.

I'm in a state of shock.

Is it salvageable, or do I give it up as a bad job?

challahchallah

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:28 am
Don’t give up! It will still be good bread, just not the sweet challah that’s you’re used to, probably more like a French bread flavor.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:28 am
It will be delicious. Enjoy

Success10

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:31 am
I don't know if it will rise properly without any sugar. Even pizza dough has sugar.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:33 am
Success10 wrote:
I don't know if it will rise properly without any sugar. Even pizza dough has sugar.

It will rise great on the flour alone. I never add sugar to my challah (yay Sephardim), and it always comes out nice.

Hillery

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:09 am
What others said, plus you can always just put it back into the mixer and knead in the sugar for a good five minutes.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:21 am
Success10 wrote:

It will rise just fine without sugar. Many breads have just flour, water, yeast and salt.

glamourmom

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:28 am
I once did the same and only realized after it was all baked and it was fine.
let us know how it is. make a little roll so you can taste it now rather than wait till Shabbos.

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 10:51 am
Reporting back from the trenches:

Dough rose beautifully, really big and pillowy and perfect, despite missing sugar.

I did not take the time, as I usually do, to braid them. I just formed standard bread loaves.

They're in the oven now, house smells nice...

We shall see!

Thanks for your input, everyone.

lavenderchimes

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 11:17 am
I have forgotten sugar MANY times, lol! It doesn't taste the best, but dipping it in a little honey fixes it:) You can also add it and mix/knead it in.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 11:51 am
I posted a challah recipe once on a non Jewish board and the response was, wow that bread has enough sugar to choke a horse!

Our challahs generally have too much fat and sugar as it is. It won't hurt you to go without it for a while.

Frumme

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 12:36 pm
OP, I'm so curious to how it came out!

Sugar in a recipe often helps with the dough structure. But at least you didn't double your sugar like I did once Can't Believe It

chocolate moose wrote:
I posted a challah recipe once on a non Jewish board and the response was, wow that bread has enough sugar to choke a horse!

Most non Jewish bread recipes also don't ask for 5lbs of flour LOL enough bread to feed an army!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 11:25 am
Frumme wrote:
OP, I'm so curious to how it came out!

Sugar in a recipe often helps with the dough structure. But at least you didn't double your sugar like I did once Can't Believe It

Most non Jewish bread recipes also don't ask for 5lbs of flour LOL enough bread to feed an army!

truth!

lilies

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 11:28 am
challahchallah wrote:
It will rise just fine without sugar. Many breads have just flour, water, yeast and salt.

Does it taste salty without sugar?

penguin

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:04 pm
You could always do egg wash w a little vanilla & sugar on top! Or even crumbs like one of the bakeries here does...

So glad your bread came out good OP.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:08 pm
lilies wrote:
Does it taste salty without sugar?

It obviously depends how much salt you put in, but not usually if you just cut the sugar from a standard recipe. Sometimes I increase the salt if I’m in the mood for a saltier bread.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:08 pm
No sugar? No problem. No salt? Get it back in the mixer.

Cheshire cat

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 6:57 pm
It was ok. Only just ok.

The texture was really good, which I found surprising. I'd always thought that the sugar plays a role in proofing the yeast.

But man, this bread was salty! Since there was no sugar to balance the salty taste, all you tasted was SALT!

My takeaway: my recipe calls for a scant cup sugar for a 7-lb flour based dough. I will try halving the sugar, and reducing the salt a little next time. I was always nervous about tweaking the ratios because I was worried about texture.

Rappel, is your sephardic recipe for challah the same as the standard one, with the exception of sugar?

Ora in town

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:03 pm
Cheshire cat wrote:
Surprised Surprised

Huge 7 lb dough is rising on the counter! The cup of sugar that was meant to be poured into machine is sitting prettily nearby.

I'm in a state of shock.

Is it salvageable, or do I give it up as a bad job?

If it's rising, it's OK...

You really need the sugar just for the yeast to do it's work. If the yeast works, sugar is not indispensable for the taste... Forgetting salt would be worse, tastewise...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads