Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Industrial/organizational psychologist

yshmitty

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:02 pm
My niece is in 11th grade, and is looking into colleges for 2021-2022. She likes the field of psychology and is looking into I/o psychology. Is there anyone that’s trained in this field/ aware of this field that would be able to give information about being a Frum mother (god willing!) and working as an I/o psychologist? Any information about this field is welcomed.
Tia!
(Feel free to PM me)

cnc

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 8:05 pm
It’s a fascinating field ... pretty sure Touro was thinking of opening an industrial psych program at one point . I’m not a hundred percent sure if it materialized .

yshmitty

Post Sun, Apr 12 2020, 9:43 pm
cnc wrote:
It’s a fascinating field ... pretty sure Touro was thinking of opening an industrial psych program at one point . I’m not a hundred percent sure if it materialized .

Thanks, do you have any specific info about it?

thegiver

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:57 pm
I wanted to be in this field. I spoke with people who were in it and they said it's not good for a mom--ipossibly involves a lot of travelling.

Then I looked into HR. Also the hours don't suit a frum mom.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:01 pm
Curious what kind of profession this is

forgetit

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:20 pm
An industrial psychologist has various opportunities in different areas. I do believe there are opportunities where flexibility is possible, as there are in many fields. Think nurses doing shifts in hospitals and nurses working in a doctors office.
The 2 industrial psychologists I know have their own practice now sort of but started from the ground up.
I believe they both have an MBA as well. One is male and one female.
One works with top business executives.
The other one works with small business owners.
OP, I'll pm you more info.

yshmitty

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:45 pm
thegiver wrote:
I wanted to be in this field. I spoke with people who were in it and they said it's not good for a mom--ipossibly involves a lot of travelling.

Would you be able to give more information? Positive and negatives that you found out while researching? Just want to make sure she has all her bases covered..

yshmitty

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 8:46 pm
forgetit wrote:
An industrial psychologist has various opportunities in different areas. I do believe there are opportunities where flexibility is possible, as there are in many fields. Think nurses doing shifts in hospitals and nurses working in a doctors office.
The 2 industrial psychologists I know have their own practice now sort of but started from the ground up.
I believe they both have an MBA as well. One is male and one female.
One works with top business executives.
The other one works with small business owners.
OP, I'll pm you more info.

Thank you!

forgetit

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:20 pm
thegiver wrote:

As I said in an earlier post, there are many ways to pivot. This is true for nearly every field.
It may be that you have to put up with a lot in the beginning, but the potential is there.
Re: HR, I know a couple of frum women in national companies in HR. I'm assuming they have to put in a full workday, but not necessarily unlike other proffessional environments. What did you hear about this that is different.
I also know frum companies that have HR departments, and they are very 'frum-centric'.
I also know a guy who is 'one man HR business'. He services a couple of small bussinesses that don't need an in-house director/team.
Bottom line, every field has potential for flexible hours (and great income). You may have to put up with a bit in the beginning, and you also need the personality and confidence to either go on your own or look for better opportunities.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics