Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
24/7 video hook up near patients' beds
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 7:58 pm
Got this in WhatsApp. Hope it's true and can help patients and their relatives.

L'toeles harabim we are passing on this information:
From esther Lerner of TORAH Umesorah
If you Know anyone who has a relative in the hospital or nursing home – 24 seven video hook up by patient bed can be arranged - family controls the system.Call 917-999-0102 For further details

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:05 pm
It is true. A group of chassidish young men realized this need and amazingly put it into place!

I know a young mother of a large family whose husband is in the hospital and this has been a lifesaver for them!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:27 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
It is true. A group of chassidish young men realized this need and amazingly put it into place!

I know a young mother of a large family whose husband is in the hospital and this has been a lifesaver for them!

refiah sheleima!

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 9:37 pm
Yes it's true.
Was established a few weeks ago by some amazing organizations and yungerleit.
Hashem bless them.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 28 2020, 10:08 pm
I heard it was stopped today because nurses were being too busy with it

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:40 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

Or they didn't like it for other reasons....

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:18 am
Ever since this program was put into place suddenly the death rate in hospitals went down tremendously. It’s amazing how many lives it must have saved. I can see the nurses hating it I’m sure they petitioned to get it taken down. It’s in place since a week before pesach I can’t believe it took them this long to find a reason to get rid of it.

gdgirl

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:35 am
Nurses Will send out patient families visiting the hospital ( under normal circumstances) when repositioning a patient, changing/ cleaning them etc And that is considered normative practice. I am sure they would be upset by this arrangement, And complain or disable, although it does seem like the only solution for patient safety under these strange circumstances.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:45 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Ever since this program was put into place suddenly the death rate in hospitals went down tremendously. It’s amazing how many lives it must have saved. I can see the nurses hating it I’m sure they petitioned to get it taken down. It’s in place since a week before pesach I can’t believe it took them this long to find a reason to get rid of it.

Wow thats great. Can you post the numbers of death rates before and after. Can we see those nurses petitions so we can fight them?
I love facts. Sensational half truths and hearsay not so much.

Remember the movie Bambi. I love what Thumper's mama told him "if you have nothin nice ( ill insert "honest) to say...dont say nothin at all"

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:08 pm
I don't see how a 24/7 video hookup isn't a flagrant violation of medical confidentiality laws.

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:11 pm
zaq wrote:
I don't see how a 24/7 video hookup isn't a flagrant violation of medical confidentiality laws.

If only the family can control it?

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:25 pm
Only if the patient gives written permission for the whole family to have access. According to medical confidentiality laws, even the parent of a person age 18 or older is not allowed access to that person's medical information unless the parent has written permission from the child. Giving the children or siblings or parents of a patient unrestricted video/audio access to his room, effectively allowing them watch procedures and hear discussions by his medical care providers ,would be a gross violation of medical confidentiality.

momof2+?

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:33 pm
I read/saw recently (can't remember where,) an article written from a daughters perspective. Her father recovered from covid 19 but was still in the hospital. He ended up dying from loneliness. She had a live hookup to his room so they could talk/see eachother, but she says it kept getting disconnected from the hospitals wifi and nurses were too busy to reconnect. She called numerous times and wasn't helped (enough.) Doesn't sound like it is a problem free solution.

lilies

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:43 pm
zaq wrote:
Only if the patient gives written permission for the whole family to have access. According to medical confidentiality laws, even the parent of a person age 18 or older is not allowed access to that person's medical information unless the parent has written permission from the child. Giving the children or siblings or parents of a patient unrestricted video/audio access to his room, effectively allowing them watch procedures and hear discussions by his medical care providers ,would be a gross violation of medical confidentiality.

Between choosing the possibility of being neglected or giving family unrestricted access and violating medical confidentiality, most would choose the latter.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:18 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

I think this hookup had to happen in lieu of visitors, but the truth is that way less patients are being admitted with each increasing day. Individuals and hatzalah are smarter now. That's why hospital death rates went down.

chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:42 pm
zaq wrote:

What happens if the patient is intubated and is in induced coma?
Is it a violation on the part of the hospital or family? If the latter, I bet families will deal with it. If the former, it's more complicated, but I hope something is figured out so that these hook ups do happen.

thriver

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:42 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I think this hookup had to happen in lieu of visitors, but the truth is that way less patients are being admitted with each increasing day. Individuals and hatzalah are smarter now. That's why hospital death rates went down.

Yes. Let’s be careful not to bash our overworked healthcare professionals. Nobody there is purposely neglecting or G-d forbid, killing anyone!

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:06 pm
lilies wrote:
Between choosing the possibility of being neglected or giving family unrestricted access and violating medical confidentiality, most would choose the latter.

Maybe--but the hospital still has to get permission. Just because you wouldn't mind doesn't mean that everyone wouldn't mind.

soap suds

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:12 pm
I assume there's some sort of consent form for patients to sign, or something.

soap suds

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:14 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:

I sure hope this isn't true. This device has been so great for patients and families. They deserve at least this much if family is banned from being at the the patients' bedsides at a time like this.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics