Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
The kind of shoppers I met today in the supermarket
Previous  1  2

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:37 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
It's like that in lots of stores in Israel

Yup. Here they will not let you in unless you are wearing a mask and gloves.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:03 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
What is the point of gloves?

You put on the gloves. Touch the eggplant that happens to be contaminated. Now everything else you touch, with that glove, is contaminated.

If you have a cut or some type of wound on your hand the corona can enter through that.

Goldie613

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:31 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
What is the point of gloves?

You put on the gloves. Touch the eggplant that happens to be contaminated. Now everything else you touch, with that glove, is contaminated.

I figured it was at least partly to keep you from infecting other people if C"V you have it and don't realize it yet.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:37 am
what if anything is the latest in israel regarding food? any guidelines?
how does refrigeration and freezing affect the germs (ugh)?
still waiting for credible info regarding how best/if to eat fresh vegetables and uncooked foods such as dairy during this pandemic.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 6:46 am
The last time I went to a large grocery store, it was like The Hunger Games. People cutting in line, swearing at each other, fights nearly broke out. I've never seen so many "frum" people behaving so badly. Honestly, it was shocking.

Inside, it wasn't any better. People would climb over you if they thought you might buy the last of something. Nobody social distanced, and everyone thought they owned their own bubble of space. People crowded around meat and fish counters yelling and shoving.

I don't spook easily, but it there was a creepy air of desperation. I got out as quickly as I could, and didn't get half the things on my list.

Now, I only use the little makolet up the street. It's a tad more expensive, but it's a heck of a lot more civilized. Bonus, I don't have to take the bus to get there.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 7:03 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
The last time I went to a large grocery store, it was like The Hunger Games. People cutting in line, swearing at each other, fights nearly broke out. I've never seen so many "frum" people behaving so badly. Honestly, it was shocking.

Inside, it wasn't any better. People would climb over you if they thought you might buy the last of something. Nobody social distanced, and everyone thought they owned their own bubble of space. People crowded around meat and fish counters yelling and shoving.

I don't spook easily, but it there was a creepy air of desperation. I got out as quickly as I could, and didn't get half the things on my list.

Now, I only use the little makolet up the street. It's a tad more expensive, but it's a heck of a lot more civilized. Bonus, I don't have to take the bus to get there.

Not sure when this was, but Israeli supermarkets get a little crazy before Pesach even when there is no pandemic. I find that people have learned to SD over the past few weeks.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 7:03 am
The gloves don’t stop people from touching their face. Look around. A mask may keep your hands away from your mouth and nose.
I haven’t been shopping since before Pesach.

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 7:06 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
still waiting for credible info regarding how best/if to eat fresh vegetables and uncooked foods such as dairy during this pandemic.

I've not been doing anything special re: fresh produce, other than washing it very well.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 7:16 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:

If you're really worried about about fresh vegetables, peel them. Dairy is all pasteurized, which kills 80% of germs anyway.

Viruses are not bacteria - they can't grow and reproduce on vegetables as bacteria can. Refridgeration can put them into a state of suspended animation, but they need to penetrate human cells to be able to reproduce. If you swallow them, your stomach acids will destroy them. (That was the theory behind the idea that drinking water regularly would keep you healthy - the virus got washed down into your stomach. That didnt work, but any virus particles on vegetables would probably end up in your stomach.)

I haven't been doing anything special with either prouce or dairy. It didnt even occur to me.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 7:24 am
I’m in teaneck and they only allow certain amount of people in the stores, you have a shopping time limit, you must have gloves and a face mask or you won’t be let it. Only one person per family is allowed in the store. They have installed plexiglass shields by the cash registers. This has been going on this way for a few weeks already here.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:33 am
I should add another sight, using masks as beard covers, those were the funniest.

dankbar

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:52 am
Ok. I have to apologize, because this time I went to the same supermarket, they don't allow in without masks & they are handing out masks at door, so everyone was masked but not everyone kept it on right place.

Other times, there weren't too many with masks

chanchy123

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:04 am
In Israel now you must wear masks at all times outdoors. They check your temp at the entrance to the supermarket I’ve gone without gloves. I have purell (Israeli equivalent) in the car. I saw a guy coughing into his gloves once in the supermarket yuck!!! I use antibacterial wipes on my cart. All supermarkets are required to enforce SD and there is a limit to how many people can be inside at a time. I do feel like everyone is a potential bank robber when I’m out (including me) but I guess if I were out more often is be used to this

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:33 am
I like to wear gloves b/c then I take one off when I want to use my phone and not get it full of germs

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:37 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I’m in teaneck and they only allow certain amount of people in the stores, you have a shopping time limit, you must have gloves and a face mask or you won’t be let it. Only one person per family is allowed in the store. They have installed plexiglass shields by the cash registers. This has been going on this way for a few weeks already here.

Same in Lakewood

And no children under age of 16. (But I’ve sent my13 yr old without issue)

They also have tape on floor to direct traffic and keep ppl 6 ft apart on line.

There are guards at the entrances when busy to count heads and limit shoppers.

chanchy123

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:07 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
I like to wear gloves b/c then I take one off when I want to use my phone and not get it full of germs

I wipe my phone with an antibacterial wipe off I touch it while out.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics