Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
If your children play outside

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 2:50 am
If you let your kids play outside with the neighbor kids, do you have them wear masks?

I can hear you now. "How on earth do you get a kid to keep a mask on?"

Do you make them wear shoes outside? Do you make them wear a hat and coat in the winter? Do you make sure your boys wear kippot? Then you can get them to wear a mask. Same thing.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....5#top

Do you want this to be your child?

The health authorities are suggesting masks for all children over 2 years old (so they will be able to remove them if there are breathing problems.) Under 2, your kids should probably not be outside playing with the neighbor kids anyway.

Even a little kid can understand "germs make you sick, mask keeps you safe." Have a sticker chart with a prize, or give them a small candy for every time they go out and keep the mask on the whole time.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 2:56 am
nope, no playing with neighbors and friends.
We go out to our shared yard during pre-arranged turns.
And if someone shows up and says "I'll just stay on the other side of the yard" we go home, no kvetching or getting upset (on my part, kids are allowed to kvetch if they'd like to)

mommy2379

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:03 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you let your kids play outside with the neighbor kids, do you have them wear masks?

I can hear you now. "How on earth do you get a kid to keep a mask on?"

Do you make them wear shoes outside? Do you make them wear a hat and coat in the winter? Do you make sure your boys wear kippot? Then you can get them to wear a mask. Same thing.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....5#top

Do you want this to be your child?

The health authorities are suggesting masks for all children over 2 years old (so they will be able to remove them if there are breathing problems.) Under 2, your kids should probably not be outside playing with the neighbor kids anyway.

Even a little kid can understand "germs make you sick, mask keeps you safe." Have a sticker chart with a prize, or give them a small candy for every time they go out and keep the mask on the whole time.

they are starting school and daycare on sunday. I would never put a mask on my two year old, how would I know if he's having trouble breathing, gets tangled in it etc? I think we need to come to terms with whats happening now in Israel. They are opening up the country, stores are open, Ganim are open, the kids will all be playing together and hopefully its going to be ok. Newest studies show children under 10 pose little to threat in transmission. https://vosizneias.com/2020/04.....ents/

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:11 am
mommy2379 wrote:
they are starting school and daycare on sunday. I would never put a mask on my two year old, how would I know if he's having trouble breathing, gets tangled in it etc?

That's why the recommendation was for children OVER 2. If your child is 2 or under, you really should be keeping a close eye on him anyway.

I do hope that everything works out well with the opening of ganim. It will be a huge bracha for many families, as long as nobody gets sick.

I think I take things more seriously than a lot of people do, because I've actually had Corona, and I know just how bad it can be. If my child got even a fraction as ill as I was, I'd feel terribly guilty.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:12 am
In Israel, the regulations only require masks for children aged seven and up.

I dont think any ganenet could spend her time ensuring all the children were wearing a mask - she'd never get anything else done.

mommy2379

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:14 am
Elfrida wrote:
In Israel, the regulations only require masks for children aged seven and up.

I dont think any ganenet could spend her time ensuring all the children were wearing a mask - she'd never get anything else done.

1st graders will not be required to wear masks. I hope the second and third graders will be ok, my daughter in second grade is quite sensory, I really dont see how she'll make it through five hours of school with a mask on her face?? I can barely stand it going to the store and back

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:18 am
Maybe in school it will be considered the same as an office. People working in the same office on a regular basis dont have to wear masks as long as they sit at least two metres apart. It would make sense for the same to apply to school.

They could cope with wearing a mask on the way to and from school. The whole question of what they do during hafsaka (if it happens) is harder. The teacher can make sure they put on masks before going out, but it would be hard to supervise every child at once outside.

werty

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:23 am
I'm not planning to send them Sunday.... Not worth the risk. My kids are home in a small apt , no playing with other kids . and I'd rather them here and safe beezras Hashem.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:26 am
Elfrida wrote:
Maybe in school it will be considered the same as an office. People working in the same office on a regular basis dont have to wear masks as long as they sit at least two metres apart. It would make sense for the same to apply to school.

They could cope with wearing a mask on the way to and from school. The whole question of what they do during hafsaka (if it happens) is harder. The teacher can make sure they put on masks before going out, but it would be hard to supervise every child at once outside.

Most schools are incredibly overcrowded. How are they going to decide who gets to come back, if there's not enough room to keep 2m apart? For that matter, how do you keep young kids from wanting to play side by side?

Think about how hard it is to keep every kid in the class from getting lice. Now imagine trying to keep them from getting microscopic droplets of virus.

The masks are definitely going to be a nightmare for the sensory kids. Maybe they are the ones who should stay home a little longer, until we know that masks aren't needed anymore. I have a very sensory kid myself, so I totally get why people are concerned about compliance.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:27 am
I highly doubt the ppl letting their kids play with other kids now are going to insist they wear a mask...Mine are still strictly playing with sibs only (in the US), but just a thought.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 3:41 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Most schools are incredibly overcrowded. How are they going to decide who gets to come back, if there's not enough room to keep 2m apart? For that matter, how do you keep young kids from wanting to play side by side?

Think about how hard it is to keep every kid in the class from getting lice. Now imagine trying to keep them from getting microscopic droplets of virus.

The masks are definitely going to be a nightmare for the sensory kids. Maybe they are the ones who should stay home a little longer, until we know that masks aren't needed anymore. I have a very sensory kid myself, so I totally get why people are concerned about compliance.

It is only kitot 1-3 who are going back, so they are able to split the classes and use the rooms belonging to the older grades to allow room for distancing. Student teachers are supplementing the staff, to make sure this works.

I dont think any child, sensory or not, will be willing to wear a mask for five hours without a break, especially as the weather warms up. Forget children; I know I'm pulling my mask off as I walk into work. They are uncomfortable, especially when being active or trying to talk. Cashiers in supermarkets pull them down - they can't cope with it for a full shift, either. They are likely to be required in public for at least the next few months, and possibly into the winter, so waiting until we dont need masks isnt a practical option for most people. I think groups of children who are regularly together, like the office workers, will accept the contact, and any potential risk that goes with it.

Children as a rule, dont get it badly. One case does not mean that every child will react the same way. Thousands of children have had very mild or asymptomatic cases. Either society stays in lockdown indefinately, or we begin opening up with exposure to limited groups and the risks involved. Corona isnt just going to disappear.

Last edited by Elfrida on Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Rappel

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:00 am
Hi!

Yes my children play outside.

From the beginning, we have been using the shared childcare clause with our next door neighbor. We're isolated from everyone else, except that DH does go to work, and my neighbor periodically has to go to the hospital. Everyone follows protocol.

No way are they wearing masks. Is it impossible to make them? Probably not. But is there any reason to do it? Nope. They will not acquire/transmit any disease so long as we maintain social distancing. Bli ayin hara, they're quite healthy.

Shuly

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:08 am
My children play within 100 meters of our building. Over age 7 wears a mask if they are walking but if they are playing ball or running around, they pull down their mask to get enough oxygen.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:29 am
Shuly wrote:
My children play within 100 meters of our building. Over age 7 wears a mask if they are walking but if they are playing ball or running around, they pull down their mask to get enough oxygen.

This sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 4:42 am
mommy2379 wrote:
1st graders will not be required to wear masks. I hope the second and third graders will be ok, my daughter in second grade is quite sensory, I really dont see how she'll make it through five hours of school with a mask on her face?? I can barely stand it going to the store and back

From what I gather the kids won’t need a make in class but they will need one outside of class.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics