Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Grocery bill out of control. 400 dollars this week!
Previous  1  2  3

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 7:53 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Hearts of palm and baby corn are for Shabbos, though I'll sometimes use baby corn during the week. Definitely not for noshing. But you can get sales that many of us can't.

Walmart has kosher cheap baby corn. Didn't check if hearts of palm are kosher there as I don't like them.

Tzippy323

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 8:00 pm
Prices have definitely gone up. Some suggestions.
Soup. Soups can be made inexpensively and if filling, can cut down on the size of the main course. Bake your own dinner rolls and add those. An apple or pear can be dessert.

Leftover soups can often be used for lunch with a sandwich. You can even make some pasta and add it to the soup for a one bowl meal.

Stretch your chopped meat by adding grated carrots, onions and potatoes. You can add some flavored bead crumbs that you make from the leftover challah you have frozen. Make the mixture into meatballs and add some rice and tomato sauce.

Onions are still reasonable. Make onion soup, onion rings, or eyer tzibbeless.

Potato salad makes an easy and inexpensive side dish.

Try making your own bread. It really doesn’t take that long because you can put your dough in an oiled ziploc bag and put it in the fridge overnight to rise. Take it out the next morning, let it come to room temperature, and you’re good to go. Your children can help you with this. It’s good for them to know that you can make breads other than challah.

Buy some dark meat chicken cutlets. They are much cheaper than breasts. Sauté a huge pan of onions. Place the cutlets in a single layer in a pan, smother them with the onions, and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.

Core out the middle of cucumbers and stuff with egg salad or tuna. Cut into slices and serve with crackers. This makes a great snack along with carrot sticks and pepper strips.

Open your pantry and stand in front of it. Take out things that you haven’t used in a long time. Be creative with them.

Here is a recipe for artisan bread - very healthy and easy.
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cups water (non chlorinated)
1/4 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons salt

Put the first 3 ingredients in a bowl and mix. Add salt and keep mixing. The dough will be very sticky. Keep the dough in the bowl you mixed it in. Cover with plastic wrap right on the dough. Cover with a towel. Wrap in a large towel or blanket. Place in a warm place and leave it for 24 hours. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees f. Put a pan of water in the oven. While it is heating take a small amount of flour and dust the top of the dough. Turn it out, and fold it over 5 or 6 times. Place parchment paper in a round pan. Form the dough into a ball and place in the pan, wait at least 30 minutes for the oven to reach temperature. Bake for 40 minutes. This makes a small loaf, so you would probably need to double the recipe, but make it into two loaves.

Whew....I am tired of typing. Go have some fun.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 8:24 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Walmart has kosher cheap baby corn. Didn't check if hearts of palm are kosher there as I don't like them.

Really? I didn't know. Thanks.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 8:26 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
Prices have definitely gone up. Some suggestions.

Buy some dark meat chicken cutlets. They are much cheaper than breasts. Sauté a huge pan of onions. Place the cutlets in a single layer in a pan, smother them with the onions, and cover tightly with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.

You have some great ideas. But dark cutlets are regularly $2 a lb. more.

Tzippy323

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 9:34 pm
They are not that expensive by me, and they are juicier and more satisfying.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 10:20 pm
Food has definitely become more expensive because processing and delivery of the food is becoming more expensive.

Just like toilet paper shortages, part of the problem is that a significant amount of meat (for example) is intended for commercial processing plants and so it is processed in a different way. So there is a glut of meat to the point where chickens and cows are being "depopulated" for lack of processing facilities but a shortage of consumer chicken and meat products at the retail level.

With toilet paper, a lot of toilet paper was made for commercial facilities and was different than residential toilet paper. This was combined with an actual increase of people needing home toilet paper because they were using more at home since they weren't at work combined with people going crazy and buying up supplies at the beginning. Just like with meat the toilet paper manufacturing families for commercial are different than for consumer retail.

There will probably also be an increase in price for fresh produce since harvesting produce depends on lots of labor to do it. Already in California, the fresh strawberry crops have been impacted since harvesting is labor intensive.

Eggs for some reason at the wholesale level are also high - can't remember exactly why but it's not price gouging by the grocery store as their wholesale egg prices went through the roof. I am sure it is related to Covid in someway as well.

coloredleaves

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 11:50 pm
We spend 600-700 a week for six people- four teens and two adults. I feel like it's a crazy amount but yet I never understand how people spend less. We don't buy any take out, but we do eat only extremely healthy and clean. So no pasta meals for example or snack bars. Only proteins and fruits and vegetables, and occasionally rice. Only spelt flower for challah. We also do Some Organic produce as well, but only if the organic is not dramatically more than the regular. I would love to do only $500! I think it sounds great!

losingweight

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 1:31 am
We're a family of 10 bh. My shabbos order is close to $400 a week. Plus more meat that I buy during the week and fill ins. These days I don't even look at the food bill. I just make sure everyone is fed.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:09 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Wow!! That’s a major mistake. I’m surprised because usually they scan items. Good thing you caught that!

I recently had something like that too. I had bought two bags of something and accidentally got charged for 22! Also did not notice until I was home. I was charged over $100 extra and I also completely missed it! I chalked it up to higher prices. I was distracted in the store with all the new measures—lots of items did not have prices, and the plexiglass between myself and the cash register and trying to stay six feet away... I didn’t check each item’s price like I normally would.

BH I looked at my receipt when I got home. Lesson learned. Check your receipts!

(Of course the cashier reimbursed me and felt terrible about it. I said “no worries. Thank you for coming to work. Mistakes happen.”)

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 8:06 am
Tzippy323 wrote:
They are not that expensive by me, and they are juicier and more satisfying.

They are much tastier! Looking forward to Shavuos ;-D
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics