Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Non Jews taking food boxes from outside shaarei torah- roder
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:12 pm
What are you looking for here??? This is imamother. We are not neviim. People gave you possible answers. If you don't like it, call the school!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:16 pm
Reality wrote:
I would call the school.

Schools and restaurants get cases of food delivered by their service entries all the time. It could be for so many reasons why it was left unattended.

Only the school knows if it was extra or if someone was stealing.

No one was stealing. If it's left hefker it's free for whoever wants to take it. They're not stealing it. It's on the street.

Reality

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:24 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
No one was stealing. If it's left hefker it's free for whoever wants to take it. They're not stealing it. It's on the street.

What are you talking about? How do you know if it was stealing if you weren't there? I wasn't there so I don't know.

I just pointed out that many times schools and restaurants get produce delivered and it sits in boxes until it is brought inside.

I have walked down the Ave in Brooklyn and seen boxes of food stacked up first thing in the morning in front of restaurants hours before they open. Are those a free for all? Its on the sidewalk. Nobody is watching them.

It could be the yeshiva has a set delivery time when they are normally open but now they aren't. It could be deliveries are off schedule now because of covid and this one came when the building was closed.

So many possibilities. It could be it was extra.

We don't know. But to say it couldn't be a food delivery for the school is ridiculous.

OP, call the school and tell them what you saw.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:36 pm
Reality wrote:
What are you talking about? How do you know if it was stealing if you weren't there? I wasn't there so I don't know.

I just pointed out that many times schools and restaurants get produce delivered and it sits in boxes until it is brought inside.

I have walked down the Ave in Brooklyn and seen boxes of food stacked up first thing in the morning in front of restaurants hours before they open. Are those a free for all? Its on the sidewalk. Nobody is watching them.

It could be the yeshiva has a set delivery time when they are normally open but now they aren't. It could be deliveries are off schedule now because of covid and this one came when the building was closed.

So many possibilities. It could be it was extra.

We don't know. But to say it couldn't be a food delivery for the school is ridiculous.

OP, call the school and tell them what you saw.

If it's left outside on the street unattended, it is not stealing to take it.
According to halacha it's not stealing to take something that's hefker.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:43 pm
If it's left outside on the street unattended, it is not stealing to take it.
According to halacha it's not stealing to take something that's hefker.

IF it’s in front of the door of a business and appears to be a delivery it is not hefker
It would be hefker if left on the curb.
I’m the morning businesses get newspapers delivered outside on the sidewalk. You can’t just go and take it.

You can’t just take things that’s left unattended. A stroller left outside a home or bike in front of home isn’t free to take.

But we don’t know what happened here

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:46 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
IF it’s in front of the door of a business and appears to be a delivery it is not hefker
It would be hefker if left on the curb.
I’m the morning businesses get newspapers delivered outside on the sidewalk. You can’t just go and take it.

But we don’t know what happened here

This was in the evening. No one gets food delivered at 7PM.

singleagain

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:52 pm

Not true. I work in a grocery store. Stuff gets delivered at all hours. Sometimes before we open or after we close. It's left by the door and thank God we have cameras in case there are issues with it.

Reality

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:53 pm

How do you know?

Besides, everything is topsy turvey and off schedule these days.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:54 pm
So glad this thread has many voices of reason because it is open to the public and LAST thing we need is for lurkers (because we know they exist) to use this thread to further any frum bashing.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:59 pm
octopus wrote:
The schools are not allowed to discriminate. You will see non Jews on the Chaim Berlin line as well. The food is funded by government and therefore cannot discriminate.

I'm bothered by the fact that there are non-Jews on the line by Chaim Berlin and then there is not enough food for their own clientele....

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I'm bothered by the fact that there are non-Jews on the line by Chaim Berlin and then there is not enough food for their own clientele....

If they're giving meals to the public and not only to their students, they cannot discriminate, they need to give to everyone that comes.

Reality

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:05 pm

It could be that is the closest school to their house. As long as everyone waits their turn on line what's the problem?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:08 pm

If they are receiving money to feed children, then all children are entitled to the food.

I am bothered that YOU are bothered by hungry children being given food regardless of race, religion or nationality.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:27 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
If they are receiving money to feed children, then all children are entitled to the food.

I am bothered that YOU are bothered by hungry children being given food regardless of race, religion or nationality.

Shouldn't our hungry Jewish children get the kosher food first??? We cannot just go to any food pantry or random public school and get food, as we need kosher. So yes I believe that in this case the Jewish children should get the food first, before its open to the public. I understand that they are receiving govt funds and therefore cannot discriminate. I was just saying that I'm bothered that while the non jews can go anywhere, they don't and then there is not enough for us...that's all.

sky

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:29 pm

THat is called discrimination.
Imagine if the ppl at public schools post about the Jews coming there to get grab and go. We’d be up at arms.
The government is paying for it and it has to be given to anyone

Personally I don’t want anyone - especially kids - to be hungry.

octopus

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:41 pm
Just recently a news story covered the bnos yisrael grab and go. The caterer said publicly all are welcome. I think they pictured some non Jewish people taking..The Jewish community has done a lot of chessed (kindness) during these times. Unfortunately we have gotten a lot of negative press. Instead of being bothered, and I understand your point, you should just reframe.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:43 pm
I hear the other point too. If there were (say) limited gluten-free meals available for those with celiac, and plenty of non-GF meals, would you be bothered that someone who is NOT gluten sensitive came and took the GF meals? Then those who really need them don't have them.

If kosher meals are indeed a limited resource, I see why someone might be upset that those who do not keep kosher are depleting that resource.

OTOH, if a school is aware that non-Jewish kids need food, there is no excuse not to give them. Perhaps more food must be prepared, or the schools can obtain grab-and-go non-kosher meals to give them.

octopus

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:46 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I hear the other point too. If there were (say) limited gluten-free meals available for those with celiac, and plenty of non-GF meals, would you be bothered that someone who is NOT gluten sensitive came and took the GF meals? Then those who really need them don't have them.

If kosher meals are indeed a limited resource, I see why someone might be upset that those who do not keep kosher are depleting that resource.

OTOH, if a school is aware that non-Jewish kids need food, there is no excuse not to give them. Perhaps more food must be prepared, or the schools can obtain grab-and-go non-kosher meals to give them.

Kosher places obtaining non kosher grab and go meals is tremendously problematic, halacha-wise.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics