Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Compose benefit list for teen staying away from technology

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:02 am
I want to compose a list for my teenager about why staying away from technology (including Netflix, social media, and problematic WhatsApp groups) is of great benefit to her. Please help compose the list.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:06 am
You can't honestly make such a list.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:08 am
I’m not sure why I can’t make such a list. I want her to stay away for her benefit (not mine).

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:12 am
First though- you need to believe it.

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m not sure why I can’t make such a list. I want her to stay away for her benefit (not mine).

Your title should be the opposite.

There are many benefits to staying away during the teen years. Technology is addicting. The adolescent brain is wired differently. They get addicted easier. It lessens one's attention span IRL.

I think most important is that it presents a phoney world and phoney standards. Many feel inadequate compared to the fake world they see.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:16 am
Technology is the only thing left in the world now, positive or negative. The rest of the world is over.

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:30 am
By staying away from technology, she gets to:

-Keep her brain cells

-Know what's going on around her, in her own daled amos

-Be better able to focus in real life

-Not become friends with unknown people on screens who she will never have a real relationship with

-Not be exposed to harmful content, which is very hard to avoid online

-Have time for doing what she should be doing instead of wasting it all looking at lights on a screen

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 9:42 am
I have teens and technology is what’s been keeping them busy and happy the last few weeks
I’m not thrilled about it but this is reality

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 12:14 pm
In this situation I don't see the plus to keeping kids off technology, sorry. Days are very long. Technology *can* be used productivly, not just as a pacifier to zone out, and we need that too right now.

A mother asked this to one menahel during a q& a and they even said to relax the rules & be realistic.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:10 pm
I totally understand about relaxing the rules now, but in general I have found (personally) that technology has been so damaging.

Some of the reasons mentioned above. I used to be able to concentrate for longer periods of time. My attention span is now shorter. It's addictive and pulls me away from other, more wholesome activities (reading a book, playing the piano, or exercising during downtime are so much healthier). It's hard to stay spiritual. It's time-wasting. It has no limits (and I have a good filter, but still). Sensory overload, information overload.... I could go on. So, so many reasons.

I'm looking into options to limit it more for myself.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 6:47 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I have teens and technology is what’s been keeping them busy and happy the last few weeks
I’m not thrilled about it but this is reality

Try to get them off it when things return to normal. A longer term approach is better.

cbsp

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 7:22 pm
Sorry to answer you via technology but this is very worthwhile.

https://nypost.com/2017/09/30/.....lace/

Simon Sinek on Millennials in the Workplace

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:01 pm
speaking as someone who was a teenager not too long ago, you're not going to convince a teenager to stay away from technology with no list of yours!
Kids do as they see and as they were raised, and at a certain point you have to just let go and let them make their own choices

naomi2

Post Sun, Apr 19 2020, 8:10 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
speaking as someone who was a teenager not too long ago, you're not going to convince a teenager to stay away from technology with no list of yours!
Kids do as they see and as they were raised, and at a certain point you have to just let go and let them make their own choices

Exactly

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 5:14 pm
It’s time to build up a talent

Learn to play an instrument
Practice, practice, practice
Exercise- buy exercise equipment
Books
Paint! You can order adult paint by number and end up framing a beautiful picture
Puzzle
Planting/ gardening in front of your house
Baking
Meal prep
Learning how to use excel on the computer can be helpful
Or movie maker
Sending cards to grandparents

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I want to compose a list for my teenager about why staying away from technology (including Netflix, social media, and problematic WhatsApp groups) is of great benefit to her. Please help compose the list.

If you're against Netflix, why does your teenager have the password? Change it. If your teenager has social media, why don't you take it off their phone?

Your teenager is using your paid-for items to do things you don't want him/her to do. Remember who's in charge.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You presumably recognize the irony of asking a social media group for reasons that social media is bad.

Where is she getting access to Netflix. Given that you think its bad, surely you don't have it. Change your wifi password, I guess.

IMNSHO you would do much better teaching her limits. Not to share personal information. How to balance better.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children