Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Do you do chessed with a skill you also earn an income with?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:52 pm
So I was wondering, does anybody here offer any of their services such as graphics, make up, hair removal, setting sheitels, nutritionist, fitness and even lessons such as art, piano etc for free to people they know are in need but wouldn't be able to afford it?

I feel like very often we are blessed with a talent with which we are able to make parnossa from. Does that mean we should only use it for business or is there also place to do some chessed with it?

I recently opened a business where I am able to give to others without charging and it wouldn't cost me too much. How do I find people who need it? I think my customers can afford it, I'm looking for people who see my advert but sadly have to flip the page, I would love to get in touch with them but I have no idea how...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:38 pm
Well, you wouldn't be able to be anonymous.

small bean

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:43 pm
That's beutiful. You can contact orgs that are related.

For example if you do graphics, contact the startup business help orgs and they will be able to direct you...

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:30 pm
That’s so nice! Can yo be more specific so we can advise you? For example- if you sell housewares you can call TDL and donate or sell for very cheap to them, for needy Kallahs.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:48 pm
I offer my services pro bono. I reached out to organizations which help people with issues in my area of expertise and they refer me clients.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 2:55 pm
You can advertise in the free classifieds in your area “L’shem Mitzvah”.
Also, let your friends know. Sometimes these things go by word of mouth.
I write poems and have a business for it. However I do write free of charge as a chesed on occasion.
There are people that I know that don’t have any money and won’t be able to give their family or teacher etc a gift because they couldn’t afford it, so I’d write a heartfelt poem for them to give instead.
Or my kids school used my poems to use in a fundraiser or to express Hakaras hatov to their staff.

What you are offering is a big chesed for the recipient. I personally was the recipient of a free sheitel when I was a kallah by one of the high end sheitel marchers. She gave two sheitels away a year . They were custom made. She spent the time to take hair samples and for a fitting and then once again for the cutting and styling . She did one for me and one for my mother. My other sheitel was out of the box and died 5 months later. It is this one sheitel I had for 9 years before I could afford a new one. I bet she never dreamed how far that chesed went. I will forever be grateful. We heard about her chesed , from her cousin who got us in touch with her.

Fox

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:01 pm
I work with a specifiv rav who refers me to organizations that need my skills.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 3:58 pm
Wow, your post is touching. I have a hair removal business. When I was less busy and less experienced I took "clients" for free or charged every other session. Now I just don't have time to do that but I do give a discount to ppl in chinuch or kollel.

I would suggest that you think about who your target recipients would be (hachnasas kallah, people struggling financially, families or single people living with a particular challenge) and reach out to Rabbanim or organizations that work with those people. Also, offering gift certificates for yeshiva chinese auctions or fundraisers is very much appreciated.

Tizki lmitzvos!! What an inspiration.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:09 pm
I have done it but I found it hard to differentiate who was real and who was just looking for a freebie because they could get away with it (specific line of work). It was not at a point where I could afford to pour hours of work into jobs with no compensation. Now I find it better for myself to keep business business and do chesed in other capacities.

Not to discourage you- I think you’re fabulous!- just putting it out there.

I am all into putting your talents to chesed.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 4:10 pm
Yes I do one of the listed things. I don't charge my husbands rabbiem wives and daughters. They would still use me but a lot less often. Now they can feel good about themselves w.o worrying about the financial strain ...

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 5:27 pm
This is so nice!
I always worked for organizations that do good stuff in the community.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 6:47 pm
I have a hair removal salon.

I'm thinking of doing about 2 hours every week for free. I sometimes see women on the street who look like they may need this and just cannot afford it. They look neat but their clothe are faded... you know the look. Or maybe there are kallahs out there who want to look good in a wig but have a really low hairline and they cant afford to have it done.

I'd love to be the one to pamper a hardworking selfless woman/Mother who gives and gives to her children every day but then there is nothing left for her. Occasionally I get a glimpse on Imamother, I think there was once an article in the Ami living about very poor families who can't afford the basics.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 7:05 pm
I'm a speech therapist (private). I take on a certain number of client at an extremely reduced rate, based on need. I'm actually not doing well financially myself, but I still want to give, and this is one way that I can.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 6:09 pm
DH runs a restaurant and if he knows someone is struggling he will lower the price if we have the ability in our parnassa to do so. He also gives free orders to people who are sick or recently had a baby. Posting anon because people who know us do not know we do this.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 8:08 pm
Reach out to organizations such as Samcheinu or Sister to Sister that have lists of members in need and could reach out to them for you.

forgetit

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a hair removal salon.

I'm thinking of doing about 2 hours every week for free. I sometimes see women on the street who look like they may need this and just cannot afford it. They look neat but their clothe are faded... you know the look. Or maybe there are kallahs out there who want to look good in a wig but have a really low hairline and they cant afford to have it done.

I'd love to be the one to pamper a hardworking selfless woman/Mother who gives and gives to her children every day but then there is nothing left for her. Occasionally I get a glimpse on Imamother, I think there was once an article in the Ami living about very poor families who can't afford the basics.

If you'd do kallas, do you feel comfortable pming so that I can connect you to national hachnosos kallah organization? Perhaps we can share this info with kallahs in your neighborhood.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 8:50 am
forgetit wrote:
If you'd do kallas, do you feel comfortable pming so that I can connect you to national hachnosos kallah organization? Perhaps we can share this info with kallahs in your neighborhood.

You can contact me via email Delete

Btw, do you work with these organisations? Or just happy to help? Smile

happyone

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 9:29 am
can I just say I LOVE THIS THREAD!

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 10:36 am
becareful who rake adavantage my sister drives a mecedeze has an audi and another sport car
she owns two home and goes to israel vegas pa she pretends she is broke and gets free tuition from several charitys she has a cash buisness

forgetit

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You can contact me via email techhowtostube@gmail.com

Btw, do you work with these organisations? Or just happy to help? Smile

I emailed you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics