Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Boss Asked Employees To Come In To The Office
Previous  1  2

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is most definitely a heimishe office. The non-Jewish offices in this field are ALL working remotely. 2/3 of the employees are mothers of children, quite a few of them with more children than me.

Sorry Sad

Then I got nothin’

tichellady

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:21 pm
Is this even legal where you are

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:26 pm
I don't know. I'm sure it is legal if they sent this around.

As a BTW, in the field I'm in, experience is very valuable. So many of the full-time girls don't work out. So most of the part-timers are really needed.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't know. I'm sure it is legal if they sent this around.

As a BTW, in the field I'm in, experience is very valuable. So many of the full-time girls don't work out. So most of the part-timers are really needed.

What did you boss say when you asked for accommodation?

tichellady

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:35 pm
If you are an essential worker you are allowed to have childcare in your home. So it sounds like you need to hire a nanny/babysitter or discuss other options with your boss. I’m not really sure what your question is

amother
Navy

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
This doesn’t sound like a “heimishe” office so I’m assuming you’re one of relatively few employees with significant childcare issues. Talk to him, when he said the above he was referring to YOU, an assumption obviously but you likely have the most kids of anyone in the office.

When did non-Jews, and anyone other than frum Jews, stop having kids?

OP, I don't know why your employer did this. Maybe its political. Maybe people aren't getting work done. I can't guess.

Be very clear. You can get your work done from home, and have done so since PAUSE. Outline what you've done. Give them a proposal of how you intend to keep getting your work done. Tell them that due to child care constraints, you cannot come in. Confirm in writing.

Prepare to be furloughed, and prepare to have them fight your unemployment. I have no idea if they'll succeed.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:40 pm
We have the same story
We work in an agency for opwdd special needs population. We are considered essential workers and have been working from home. Now all of us with kids, what are we supposed to do?! For now they are saying we can still work from home few more days but then what?

mha3484

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 4:50 pm
I would really talk to your boss. I work in a tiny office and there is no way on earth I can focus at home with 4 kids so I go to work and my boss stays home. His kids are much older. Some others in your office may be having the same issue and are not getting enough work done. If you feel you are just as productive, talk to your boss and try to work it out.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:18 pm
What's your problem, here, OP, I can't tell. Is it:

That you don't have childcare?

That you're scared of getting Covid?

If it's the former, your boss invited anyone with these problems to discuss it with him. So, discuss. Tell him that you don't have any childcare.

If it's the latter, formally request in writing that he supply everyone with PPE, give an official demonstration of how to use it (no scooting the masks down the nose), and allow six feet of room between chairs. Your written request puts the onus on the employer to supply a safe workplace, and if he can't comply with CDC elemental safeguards, then it's likely you can work from home with no ill consequences.

Mind you, he's probably telling everyone to come to the office because heimish offices run heimish. When people say they're working from home, they're usually not. I don't blame him, but you need to protect yourself as well.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:22 pm
my daughter just had caronavirus the office still wanted her to come to work
she wanted to stay home longer

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 2:43 pm
Is this legal if employees are not required to wear a mask?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics