Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Book rec for ten year old who doesn’t like to read
Previous  1  2

ayintova

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ooh I love Gordon Korman. What would be a good easy one to start with? Remember she doesn’t like reading long books Confused

“I want to go home” is a funny, short Korman book that would be good for her age.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:35 pm
The "I survived" book series, example: I survived 9/11, is short, easy and exciting.

Also, Kid Speak books are short stories.

I think reading comics becomes a crutch that some kids can't give up.

There are "encyclopedia" type books (including frum ones) that have pictures and text.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:06 pm
Books by Ruth Chew are easy (ex: No such thing as a Witch) and are really good.

Also books by Beverly Cleary like Mitch and Amy

Books by Marilyn Sachs like Amy and Laura

Books by Peg Kehret (Ex: earthquake terror)

Boys against Girls books series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

All of a Kind Family

Gracie

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 12:03 am
The "upside down magic" series is alot of fun to read and I think also has some good lessons embedded along the waym

Cheshire cat

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 12:22 am
Check out enid blyton.

She authored many fantastic children's books in the 1950s-ish, or thereabouts, but still available for purchase on amazon, ebay, etc.

The books are fantastic- full of mystery and adventure, yet still charming and innocent.

Frumme

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 12:34 am
Do you think she likes poetry? Maybe something humorous, like Where the Sidewalk Ends, would intrigue her.

For books-- at 10, I think I really enjoyed Phantom Tollbooth (has some illustrations too, I think), the Warrior cat series, and the Secrets of Droon (also has pictures I think). Anything by Shannon Hale is also amazing (Book of a Thousand Days, Princess Academy, etc) as well as Gale Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted, Cinderellis and the Glass Hill) and Twice Upon a Time (Rapunzel, the one with all the hair, etc) . Some of Levine's books have illustrations, too.

As for Jewish books, I think my students last year really enjoyed the Achdus Club series, but I haven't read it myself.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children