Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Living without internet?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 6:30 am
I must confess, sometimes I hear about people who have no internet and I truly envy them. Has anyone gone a long time living without internet (and no, that doesn't count "I went on vacation and forgot my smartphone") and can provide their experiences?

I don't have internet on my phone but waste enough time online to be ashamed of it. And I feel as if I'm setting a bad example for my kids....

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 6:45 am
I'm in my 50s, so I certainly remember life before the internet. But why would you want to go back to the inconvenience? If you are looking at your phone instead of your husband and children, just put the phone on a table, the way phones used to be. You'll hear it ring.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 6:48 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I'm in my 50s, so I certainly remember life before the internet. But why would you want to go back to the inconvenience? If you are looking at your phone instead of your husband and children, just put the phone on a table, the way phones used to be. You'll hear it ring.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I'm in my 20s and I remember life without internet, but I feel like the 'inconvenience' isn't as bad as the time I waste and the annoying and inappropriate things I expose myself to. As I mentioned in the OP I don't have internet on my phone but still feel it impacts my life with more negative things than positive.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 6:52 am
Check out the minimalists. Joishua Fields millburn did it as an experiment. They talk about it on some of their podcasts.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:02 am
Sorry, you did say it's not on your phone.

Presumably you're on this site to get some social interaction. What else are you doing? When and why? It's not the internet's fault if you are watching trashy movies. Use your internet connection to listen to a shiur, or order a good book.

Or admit to yourself - I'm feeling crummy today and I'll feel better if I watch whatever. Then watch, and turn off the computer when you are done.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:08 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Sorry, you did say it's not on your phone.

Presumably you're on this site to get some social interaction. What else are you doing? When and why? It's not the internet's fault if you are watching trashy movies. Use your internet connection to listen to a shiur, or order a good book.

Or admit to yourself - I'm feeling crummy today and I'll feel better if I watch whatever. Then watch, and turn off the computer when you are done.

I don't watch movies, I check emails, log onto imamother, look at news on hamodia and once in a blue moon I buy clothes from aliexpress or asos. I think I'm using it as a way of escaping my kids, as they're with me all.day.long.... it's very intensive and they're small so they're all very demanding

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:24 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Check out the minimalists. Joishua Fields millburn did it as an experiment. They talk about it on some of their podcasts.

I remember reading that back in the day, but I'd be interesting in hearing from frum Jewish women because we generally use the internet differently than someone like him and usually don't use it for different reasons too. I'm curious what it's like, as in my circles internet is widely used (although most have filters of varying levels)

amother
Azure

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't watch movies, I check emails, log onto imamother, look at news on hamodia and once in a blue moon I buy clothes from aliexpress or asos. I think I'm using it as a way of escaping my kids, as they're with me all.day.long.... it's very intensive and they're small so they're all very demanding

Sounds to me like perfectly legitimate down time.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:38 am
When I got married (7 years ago) dh was in kollel. We were in an apt and I didnt need internet and it seemed unnecessary at the time so we didnt have but we had smartphones with bad service. We lasted about a year and then dh started college. Between undergrad and the doctorate program hes in now, he had a gap year when we decided to get rid of our internet. Believe it or not its doable. Sometimes it can be very very inconvenient and sometimes u need internet access so you're inconveniencing others which is annoying but we did it 🏅

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 7:13 pm
Absolutely not easy But doable. And dare I say a good feeling... It can become a bad addiction
There's a public library not too far from me. Use it alot

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:05 pm
It's definitely doable. Several family members of mine (chassidish) live a fine life without it. They would go to the library, rent an office nearby if necessary... but they don't have it in the house.

And it is distracting, in terms of parenting. The web is unlimited and addictive. More than distracting, it makes parents more irritable, edgy, and impatient.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:21 pm
From DHs siblings -
3 have absolutely zero e-mail, internet, wats app anything.
3 have e-mail access only for work. And nothing else (not even phone text)
They seem to do fine and don’t really seem to feel like they are missing much.
I think they have less distractions in life and more time to focus on other things. When you are home you are home. You aren’t shopping. Or looking up directions or the weather or recipes or the news or trip ideas. You are just home. I think it is beautiful.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:42 pm
I'm not sure exactly what you want to hear, OP, but yes, my life was a lot more wholesome before I got internet at home. I am looking forward to the day when I can get it out of my home for good.
I have an office not far from my home and I should really confine usage there.
I spend too much time on imamother, reading the news, checking emails, etc. when I should be either sleeping or spending time with my kids.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:21 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what you want to hear, OP, but yes, my life was a lot more wholesome before I got internet at home. I am looking forward to the day when I can get it out of my home for good.
I have an office not far from my home and I should really confine usage there.
I spend too much time on imamother, reading the news, checking emails, etc. when I should be either sleeping or spending time with my kids.

I can relate very much. I used to have a smartphone and gave it up for my kids chinuch, yes my kids are more important. And yes, my school doesn't allow one. It's not easy, not gonna lie to myself that I don't miss whatsapp n others. But on the other hand, I'm more relaxed, focused, and patient. I still have little access but a far cry from what I had. Like 1gb, it's nothing lol now with COVID19 Verizon added 15gig for free. It's alot... I'm too much online, I'm guilty. Want it to go back to normal!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics