Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Appropriate for 12 year old dd?

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Apr 30 2020, 11:59 pm
Someone gave us a big box of stuff, and inside we found a copy of the Divine Secrets of the YAYA sisterhood.

She was soooo bored last shabbat, after pirkei avos; and picked up this book. I asked her to hold of until I asked around.

She is a voracious reader. I was ok with her reading all of the Harry Potter series; most Rick Riordan (except the latter books).

What do you guys think?

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:02 am
Someone lent it to me once. It was a long time ago, but I don't have striking memories of anything blatantly inappropriate. I didn't think much of the book as a whole, though.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:04 am
Iirc, it addressed themes of child abuse, which you may or may not wish your dd to read. I can't remember if there was anything inappropriate.

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:05 am
Thanks. I don't have the time to re-read it, but I wasn't drawn to read it when I was younger so I'm clueless.

The book jacket doesn't state whether it's targeted to YA or adults.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:20 am
I don’t think it’s inappropriate per se but I would be surprised if she were really interested in it. The subject matter is classic woman’s lit in terms of being about a group of life long female friends and as I recall the daughter discovers something about their history and she is writing the story. I read it years ago when it came out and was a best seller. Like the other poster, I don’t remember much that would be offensive but I was an adult but probably had some revelations about the woman’s lives.

It is not a YA book so it deals with adult themes but it’s a woman’s book so really depends on how sheltered you are in terms of her reading materials. My parents would have had no objections at that age but would have been surprised by my choice because it would have been a book that my aunts were reading more than my friends if that makes sense. Very Happy They wouldn’t think I would like it.

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 12:32 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
I don’t think it’s inappropriate per se but I would be surprised if she were really interested in it. The subject matter is classic woman’s lit in terms of being about a group of life long female friends and as I recall the daughter discovers something about their history and she is writing the story. I read it years ago when it came out and was a best seller. Like the other poster, I don’t remember much that would be offensive but I was an adult but probably had some revelations about the woman’s lives.

It is not a YA book so it deals with adult themes but it’s a woman’s book so really depends on how sheltered you are in terms of her reading materials. My parents would have had no objections at that age but would have been surprised by my choice because it would have been a book that my aunts were reading more than my friends if that makes sense. Very Happy They wouldn’t think I would like it.

This is very helpful! Thanks.

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:22 am
Bumping it up for the morning crowd.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:59 am
I only have vague memories of it and might be confusing it with another Rebecca Wells (is that the author?) book. Don't let her read other books by the author unless you read them first, thoroughly.
And about YA books: don't make any assumptions that they're age-appropriate. They are generally not.

simcha2

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 8:01 am
I'm mo and I wouldn't let my 12 yo read it. Maybe 14 or 15

nelliesmellie

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:10 pm
Read it before she does- everyone has a different standard and you’re the only one who knows your DD

sidewalkchalk

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:19 am
I remember it well. Mentions of premarital relationships, self-stimulation and I can't remember if it or the sequels have explicit s*exual abuse descriptions.

groisamomma

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 4:29 am
I remember this being mentioned in a thread about abusive parents and relationships years ago (around 2011?).

Probably smart if you read or skim it first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room